how to get rid of water weight?

Options
So I realize after trial and error that sodium is my weight gain devil. I don't eat foods high in fat anymore and I am trying to be more reasonable in terms of diet and exercise. Yet, I had a burrito bowl without rice and 6 strips of low sodium bacon and already i'm back to 123.5 after losing 3 lbs last week. I'm furious.

now, I know I didn't eat that much yesterday, so I assume this is water weight. I have a big event on Friday and this weight needs to come off by then. How do I get rid of the water weight so I'm at least back down to 122 by Friday?

I'm planning to drink 100 oz of water today to clear my system, for starters.

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the sodium for the rest of the week.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    as contrary as it might seem, drink water like you're a fish. It will flush out the sodium that's in your system causing your water retention in the first place.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips:
    -Get use to the exercise you are doing (changing routines/intensity will make your muscles retain water)
    -decrease sodium
    -increase potassium
    -drink more water
    - could go lower carb, deplete glycogen in the muscles, glycogen stores water.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. I know it sounds crazy, but it will flush the sodium out of your sytem! And you might want to start reducing your sodium intake overall. Start cooking real food and no processed stuff. That said, having a high sodium day every now and then isn't a big deal, just increase your water and flush it out! :-)
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My1985Freckle took the words right out of my mouth! Drink more water to flush that sodium out and stay away from processed foods!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    to lose 1.5lbs I'd just have a few hot baths and keep the carbs/sodium low.

I did low carb, water loaded and low sodium last 2 days to drop 13lbs in 6 days.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Log your foods before you eat them so that you know how much sodium is in them.

100oz a day is good. Try for 150 if you want it to be quicker.

If you can find a sauna, use it. It will dehydrate you.
  • SunhappyDC
    SunhappyDC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    would super hot showers work the same way?
  • SunhappyDC
    SunhappyDC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips:
    -Get use to the exercise you are doing (changing routines/intensity will make your muscles retain water)
    -decrease sodium
    -increase potassium
    -drink more water

I haven't exercised at all this week (SUPER PISSED) but I took a 5k walk on Monday to just be somewhat active. I doubt it did anything.

Yeah, I've been eating about an avg of 500 mg of sodium daily for more than a week. I'm gonna stick to that!

What are some potassium rich foods?

I avoid all bread/gluten products.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    would super hot showers work the same way?

close but not quite as good IMO.

potassium; chicken and pumpkin are my go tos. Google it though, lots of others.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Potassium-rich foods:

http://www.livestrong.com/potassium-rich-foods/

It's not the sodium consumption that matters, it's the sodium-potassium balance. As long as you eat plenty of potassium-rich foods (watermelon, parsley, bananas, etc.--mostly vegetables and fruit, naturally), you don't have to worry about your sodium going over.

Starchy foods tend to cause water bloating, as well. This is why low-carb diets are so effective at causing rapid weight loss--much of the water gets flushed from your body, so you lose as many as 10-15 lb rapidly depending on how much fat you carry. Of course it will come back on once you increase your carb intake again.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips:
    -decrease sodium
    -increase potassium
    -drink more water

I haven't exercised at all this week (SUPER PISSED) but I took a 5k walk on Monday to just be somewhat active. I doubt it did anything.

Yeah, I've been eating about an avg of 500 mg of sodium daily for more than a week. I'm gonna stick to that!

What are some potassium rich foods?

I avoid all bread/gluten products.
    Leafy greens, avocados, bananas, sweet potatoes, beans... to name a few.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options