do i have to eat all my exercise calories?

Options
on a normal day i would eat and exercise and they balance eacch other out.
Now today i go to dance class and will burn off 550 calories i would use approx 200 of these but that still leaves 350 calories in the pot is that too many? Or should i try and eat more of them?

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    What is your caloric goal?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie burn? If you are using MFP it notoriously overestimates, so I'd eat half. If you are using something much more accurate like a HRM, I would eat most of them.
  • dyevine
    dyevine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use my exercise calories as "fun calories". The more I burn, the more tasty snacks I get to eat (if I'm hungry). I only eat when I'm hungry and only eat one serving. I try to choose things that may have more calories up front, but will keep me from being hungry longer!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat them.
    If you're using MFP the way it's designed (and assuming you're logging accurately), then you should eat them.
  • Mom2Lizzy
    Mom2Lizzy Posts: 23
    Options
    MFP often overestimates burns. If you are using a HRM, then I would say eat more than 1/2, if not all, of the calories you are burning. Otherwise, you will deplete your energy stores, feel awful, and eventually run out of steam. MFP already sets your calorie goal at a deficit, so you should lose weight without exercise. But, exercise will boost your metabolism, build muscles, and make you feel better. You wouldn't try to drive your car an extra 100 miles without adequate fuel, why do it to your body?
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I never eat mine back, really. Don't feel the need to!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat about half back.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    MFP often overestimates burns. If you are using a HRM, then I would say eat more than 1/2, if not all, of the calories you are burning. Otherwise, you will deplete your energy stores, feel awful, and eventually run out of steam. MFP already sets your calorie goal at a deficit, so you should lose weight without exercise. But, exercise will boost your metabolism, build muscles, and make you feel better. You wouldn't try to drive your car an extra 100 miles without adequate fuel, why do it to your body?

Excellent point
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I do not use mine unless I am starving.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I eat them all but I would recommend at least half.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I eat some of mine back, until I'm no longer hungry. Generally this means one to two hundred calories, so about half.
  • KatyP29
    KatyP29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use them if I feel the need to, Mostly it ends up being naughty additional snacks, But it is hard to eat into 400+ calories if your calorie goal is enough, Mine is 1350, and I swim off 300-400 in an hour!
  • KatyP29
    KatyP29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Problem with the naughty snacks though is that it isnt just calories I need to watch but the fat/sugar content! I'm a sucker for sweets and chocolate!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I eat some back because I know that MFP over estimates some workouts.
  • cath14967
    cath14967 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I will eat about half of them if im hungry. I'm still learning to listen to the hunger signs in my own body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you are substantially missing on your calorie goals on a routine basis, it might be an issue (depends on how much weight you have to lose and a number of other factors). If it's occasionally being substantially under then it's not that big of a deal. It's when you're routinely malnourishing your body that you have issues, not isolated events. If this becomes routine, plan your day better.

Also, remember that calorie burn, even from a HRM is just a reasonable estimate. When I did MFP I ate back about 70% of my burn as per my HRM to account for estimation error. It's just an estimate and it's usually high because it also doesn't take into account your BMR calorie burn during that time...those calories you would have otherwise burned sitting on your *kitten* are included in the burn you get on your HRM.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat back your exercise calories, ever.
  • Heathingtons1
    Heathingtons1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Problem with the naughty snacks though is that it isnt just calories I need to watch but the fat/sugar content! I'm a sucker for sweets and chocolate!

Amen sister. This is my problem too!! It's so hard sometimes! Getting better at it though :-)
  • Dionire
    Dionire Posts: 8
    Options
    totally up to you. I believe it's up to the individual to decide. I personally don't eat the calories i've burned off, but I know that if I REALLY want a treat or i'm still really hungry and i've burned off 300 cals then i've got those cals up my sleeve, but I find i'm never realy hungry by the end of the day, nothing a cup of tea doesn't fix anyhow :)