For those that go off TDEE...

Options
rachso
rachso Posts: 174 Member
Ok, not sure why I didn't do this from the beginning but I just calculated my TDEE. I know that is effective in knowing how many calories to take in daily and can be an aid to weight loss however, when I went to add that into consideration and see if that changed my caloric intake I noticed MFP doesn't use TDEE or ask for it. So for those of you who use TDEE as an aid.....how do you take that into account on here? If you cnt/dnt put it on MFP then how and what do you calculate to come up with the numbers on here and what do you put on MFP to get it to say what you want? Last thing, does your TDEE number represent how many calories you SHOULD burn thru exercise daily? Cause if thats the case I gotta find a exercise that burns 3000 calories....

If it helps I am a 5ft4in 29 year old female. I am obese with a BMR of 37. I weigh approx 215lbs. My TDEE was calculated to be 3, 018.

Replies

• DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    TDEE already figures in your exercise calories burned whereas MFP does not so depending on how much you want to lose (let's say over 10 lbs) then you take 3018*15% which is 452.70. Subtract that number from 3018 and this is how many calories you need to eat everyday. Go to home/goals and manually adjust your goals to whatever that number of calories is. If your macros are set they will automatically adjust as well. Do not eat your exercise calories back when you use TDEE as they are already figured in. When you use the "guided" feature on here it will set you to a certain amount of calories but it's usually fairly low and you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I use tools such as fattofit radio and fitness frog to determine my TDEE. Good luck. I promise that this site works.
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    TDEE already figures in your exercise calories burned whereas MFP does not so depending on how much you want to lose (let's say over 10 lbs) then you take 3018*15% which is 452.70. Subtract that number from 3018 and this is how many calories you need to eat everyday. Go to home/goals and manually adjust your goals to whatever that number of calories is. If your macros are set they will automatically adjust as well. Do not eat your exercise calories back when you use TDEE as they are already figured in. When you use the "guided" feature on here it will set you to a certain amount of calories but it's usually fairly low and you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I use tools such as fattofit radio and fitness frog to determine my TDEE. Good luck. I promise that this site works.

I did as you said and mow my calories are like doubled. Did I mess up or is that normal?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

Using -% TDEE method, you DO NOT eat back exercise calories. You don't even need to log what you burn off if you don't want to, but I do suggest logging the amount of time you work out, it will keep your activity level legit.