How do you prepare spaghetti squash?

Options
Never had spaghetti squash before, but would like to try

I have seen people post that they eat it like traditional spaghetti, others say eat it cold.

How do you prepare it so that it looks like spaghetti???

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I buy a smaller one. (just two of us) I cut it in half. scrape out the seeds and stringy bits with a large spoon. I take a baking dish, put a couple of inches of water in it, and put the squash "bowl side" down into the water and bake in a convection/microwave oven on 400 for 30 to 40 minutes. When it's ready you should be able to take a fork to the inside and pull out spaghitti easily. If it resits or comes out in chunks, cook it longer.
    You can also cut it in rings and stuff the center (that you scraped out) with a spicey beef/veggy scramble and bake with the stuffing in it.
    So yummy in sooooo many ways. Filling and low cal.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half (and cook half at a time, as only 2 out of 5 in our home will eat it), poke it a couple of times, scrape the seeds out, and put it in an 8x8 glass pan in the microwave, cut side down, with about 1/2 an inch of water in the bottom.... microwave it until it's soft (mine takes 10-15 mins, depending on the size), then just scrape it out with a fork.

I LOOOOOVE a great spaghetti sauce over mine, and have also tried sauteeing it with a tiny bit of butter, and some salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.... yummo!

Good luck, let us know how yours turns out!

On a side note.... if you have a garden, toss the seeds you scrape out into your garden..... toss a little dirt over the top.... I did that this spring, and have gotten about 10 so far, with more still growing...... they're going crazy, and overtaking my garden box and trailing all around it. :laugh: Free spaghetti squash, can't beat that!
  • antiadipose
    Options
    i just bought my first one ever today =]
    and youtubed a video on it..

basically some ppl eat it just like spaghetti .. some ppl i guess use it like a dessert (since squash has a little sweetness to it) they add sugar, cinnamon... etc

but anyhow, to cook it, cut it in half the LONG WAY
    take the seeds out (as u would with pumpkin or butter nut squash)
    u can season it or not...
    put it open side down in a baking pan with an inch or so of water

bake 350 degrees for one hour.

use a fork to fork out all the stringy yummyness.

good luck!
  • antiadipose
    Options
    On a side note.... if you have a garden, toss the seeds you scrape out into your garden..... toss a little dirt over the top.... I did that this spring, and have gotten about 10 so far, with more still growing...... they're going crazy, and overtaking my garden box and trailing all around it. :laugh: Free spaghetti squash, can't beat that!

OMG! great news, thanks for sharing.
    im so glad i still havent made mine. i will try this!
  • Vmcd
    Vmcd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser's Ranch-Style "Spaghetti" Marinara

1 med. spaghetti squash (about 1/2 lbs) washed, halved lengthwise, and seeds removed
    2 c low-fat marinara sauce
    2 T grated parmesan or romano cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
    Pierce the outside of each half of the squash a few times with a fork.
    Place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, until very tender when tested with a fork. Allow to cool slightly.
    While the squash is baking, warm the pasta sauce.
    Using the tines of a fork, rake the spaghetti-like threads of the squash into a mixing bowl. (There will be about 3 cups)
    Discard the skin. Pour hot pasta sauce over the squash and toss gently. Garnish with the cheese
    Makes 6 servings.

Per serving:
    130 Calories
    4 g. protein
    21 g. carbs (2 g sugars)
    3 g. fat (1 saturated)
    5 mg. cholesterol
    2 g. fiber
    280 mg sodium

This is one of our favorite meals. Even my kids like it! You can play around with seasonings too. I like to sprinkle some garlic and olive oil and Mrs. Dash tableblend on mine before it goes in the oven.

Let me know how you like it!
  • islandnutshel
    Options

Fun, I gotta try that. Forgot that I bought the seeds too.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Use a sharp heavy knife...the outside is very hard. Cut it in half, length wise will get you long "noodles" and cut crosswise will get you shorter "noodles". Clean out the goop and rub the cut edges with EVO. Place them face down in a glass baking dish. Bake 1 hour (or until you can push in the hull with your finger) at 350.

I have heard you can microwave these whole by just piercing the hull.... haven't tried it. Have a vision of squash goop blowing up in the microwave...:noway:
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i take one and cut it in half remove the seeds and add alittle brown sugar and bake
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    squash & bump
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    Just came across a good recipe for spagetti squash...Hope this helps!

Prick squash with a fork to let steam out and microwave for 10 minutes (on high) turning after 5 mins. Let stand for 5 mins, then slice it open. Remove seeds and scrape sides with a fork (that creates the strands) Keep the squash in its shell and mix in 1/2 cup of Part skim mozzarella shredded cheese and 2 small chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with 1/4 parmesan light grated cheese
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I've only made it once, but my step mother makes it and she bakes it just as nutshell does, but we put spaghetti sauce on it. My kids aren't too thrilled about it, which is why I only made it once, but it's SO good for you!
  • DianneMoreno
    Options
    i am ADDICTED to this stuff :) i eat it about twice a week. the great thing is i was feeling so carb deprived (insulin resistant) and just wanted PASTA. once i tried this, i will NEVER go back.

i soften it in the microwave, like some of the other posts. it only takes 10 minutes. i top with roasted veggies (asparagus, squash, zuchinni, red/yellow pepper). i also put emeril's tomato basil sauce on top, add some grilled chicken and a little parm. cheese. it is soooo yummy! and by having the tomato basil sauce, it tastes toottalllyy like an italin dish. i did try it with garlic pasta sauce, which i normally ate on regular pasta- but for some reason it was just alllll garlic and ruined my dish. i think the fact that ur basically eating ALL vegetables, u have to be more concious of the other flavors.

but - it is thhheeee beeessst! good luck!
  • iowabelle
    Options
    I think my "preference" is to "spend" alot of my calories on carbs. But if I converted to a vegetable, I could use those calories on something else!

I was over at Hungry Girl and there is a tofu noodle they are discussing now, that has ONLY 40 calories for a whole bag of noodles. That sounds like a good switch too. (Goodbye, pasta.)

Just think... you could even make Chinese lo mein out of spaghetti squash or tofu noodles.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm so addicted to it. I love it just plain (microwave it and then season with a little salt and pepper). Or for a fancier side dish, I microwave it. In a pan, I sautee up some garlic (about 3 cloves, minced) in olive oil (2T) until fragrant, add a little oregano, pepper, salt, etc. Scrape the whole squash into a bowl and then add the sautee mix. It's like a pasta without the marinara. I eat that hot, nuked the next day with some chicken cubes or cold out of the fridge for a midnight snack. Typically will eat it about 3 times a month and one squash makes enough for about 3 meals for my husband and I.

The way I see it is I'd rather get my veggies in than max out on carbs (wheat and I don't always agree).

I'm sure you could do something similar to the above recipe and add them into a stirfry pan, just at the end and make a giant plate of yummy stir-fried veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, peppers) that would be filling without the protein, or add it in too.....oooooh....I just had spaghetti squash tonight, but I might have to make this meal on Sunday dinner!!!! I have fresh garden veggies and easily can get mushrooms, peppers, etc (always have them on hand). A little bit of teriyaki sauce and I might have a new favourite!
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can never get it open.... what do you cut it with? A saw?
    Maybe I'm just a whimp (?) lol
  • islandnutshel
    Options
    One more thing. They make great leftovers. Unlike pasta noodles they don't go mushy when re-heated. They take on flavors real easy.
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • richars65
    richars65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just made spaghetti squash yesterday. Here's the recipe from my recipe box:

Spaghetti Squash - 1 medium/large
    Fat-free cottage cheese - 1 cup
    Fat-free sour cream - 1 cup
    Fat-free plain yogurt - 1 cup
    Red onion, sliced - 1 medium
    Almond cheddar (or mozzarella) style "cheese" - 3oz
    Button Mushrooms, diced - 6-10
    Green Chiles - 1 small can
    Frozen sweet corn - 1 cup
    Textured vegetable protein (TVP) - 1 cup
    Minced garlic - 4tbsp
    Ground cumin - 1tbsp
    Onion powder - 1tbsp
    Salt and pepper to taste

Begin by halving and cleaning out the squash. Spray a foil-covered cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Place squash face down and bake at 400 for approximately 20-30mins (until tender to the touch). While cooking, sautee onions and mushrooms over medium heat (I use non-stick spray but you could use oil). Once tender, throw frozen corn in with onions and mushrooms. Sautee until corn is warmed through.

Mix cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt, and chile's in large mixing bowl. Add onions, mushrooms, and corn. Once tender, remove squash from oven and allow to cool briefly. Scrape contents out into mixing bowl with a fork. Add "cheese", garlic, and spices. Stir together into a creamy mixture. Grind TVP in coffee/spice grinder.

Place mixture into a large casserole dish sprayed with non-stick. Spread TVP crumbs on top. Either spray crumbs lightly with non-stick or drizzle lightly with oil. Bake at 400 for another 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Makes approx. 8 servings.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half, scoop the seeds, turn in upside down on parchment paper cook it at aroun 400 for 45-55 minutes depending on the size. It starts to caramalize oh so good. I fork it, sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle plain flax oil (1/2 tbsp) over both halves. My absolute favourite. I could eat it everyday.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm also confused about spaghett squash- can I get it in the UK? The only thing that comes up at my supermarket is butternut squash. Is it like a standard, non-butternut squash, microwaved then stringed or is it like actually called a spaghetti squash? I might sound stupid but it's annoying not having these things on this side of the pond! xxx