Why not shrimps?

Options
Hello everyone,

When I see people talking about high protein food, I always see them mentioning steak, chicken breast, beans etc.
I was looking at the nutrition facts for shrimps.

In 150 grams of shrimps, there are roughly 160 calories, 30g of protein, 3g of fat, 2g of carbs.

I was just wondering, why don't people talk about it a lot? Is it because of the taste? Price? Availability? Any downsides?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Maybe expense? Some people might not be the seafood type. I loooove shrimp. I'll get a pound of 'em and have them as pizza topping or just steamed by themselves.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    price. Lobster is also a great protein source...
  • matthewcrowley
    matthewcrowley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    shrimp and other seafood are great for you. they are harder to get and cook for most people but get them when you can. seafood is considered one of the healthiest things you can eat because it contains lots of protein and usually not much fat. even fatty seafoods contain the healthy omega fats that prevent heart disease.

they only trap is to make sure that the shrimp are cooked in a healthy way, ie not deep fried like popcorn shrimp.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    if you live near aldi's store you can get sea queen brand frozen shrimp, for cheap and I love the taste better than most shrimp brands..
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Maybe because they are higher in sodium? Some people need to monitor sodium intake for health reasons or because they tend to retain water weight. 1/2 lb of steamed shrimp has about 336mg sodium vs. 55mg per 4oz chicken breast. It does however have a ton of protein so if you're not worried about sodium I say go for it. It's also higher in calories than grilled chicken breast.

And just in case people think I think 1/2 lb is 4oz, that's not what I meant I was speaking in terms of a serving, 4oz chicken is usually a serving and 1/2lb steamed shrimp is usually a serving (to me it is anyway, haha).
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

When I see people talking about high protein food, I always see them mentioning steak, chicken breast, beans etc.
    I was looking at the nutrition facts for shrimps.

In 150 grams of shrimps, there are roughly 160 calories, 30g of protein, 3g of fat, 2g of carbs.

I was just wondering, why don't people talk about it a lot? Is it because of the taste? Price? Availability? Any downsides?

I eat shrimp cocktail a couple times a week ~ it's tasty, good protein, & low cal. I buy the big bag of frozen/raw and simply boil up a handful and mix up some ketchup & horse radish. The bag costs about $15. and lasts a good 6 weeks at my house so I find it not too pricey. I just had some last night as appetizer to my salmon.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    High sodium, high cholesterol. That said, I eat them a lot!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of seafood. And it smells up the break room if someone does bring it in.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't be hating on fried shrimp. I agree it might not be the healthiest way to eat it but lets face it--it tastes good. If you have your oil at the proper temperature
    it will form a seal with the breading/batter and will not end up being greasy at all. Still not the healthiest way to eat it but I will never say no to fried shrimp.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably expense and access. Also, cooking seafood can be intimidating if you've never done it before...

But, now I want shrimp. Must do an old bay beer boil sometimes soon :-)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm …. love shrimp! I've never looked up the nutritional information before :blush: glad to see they're a great source of protein.

Possibly one reason most people don't bring them up in response to protein questions is how they are often prepared - breaded and deep fried, or drenched in garlic butter are very standard ways for Americans, at least, to consume shrimp. Yummy? Absolutely? Great source of protein without a ton of extra calories? Not so much. I eat them cooked and plain, but lots of people don't.
  • citizenryan82
    Options
    Shirmp are notoriously high in cholesterol. Some cardiologist recommed avoiding shell fish because of cholesterol. However, much like eggs and everything "bad" for you at one point, research and data changes and then that food is the next miracle food. Go figure. Nevertheless, anything in moderation is ok. I'd rather eat 4 oz of shirmp over 4oz of beef personally.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    I've learned that shrimps are high in cholesterol. This is possibly one of the reasons why people try to avoid it.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is a rich as I am.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure why either. Some people don't like seafood that much. As far as price if you buy the big bags of frozen shrimp they are not pricey at all. Around my area (Ontario) you can get a fairly big bag for 8-10 dollars. I like putting them in stir frys. There are also great on skewers with veggies..marinate them and then put them on the bbq. Also with butter and garlic...yum. Oh and shrimp curry is amazing!!

I agree. They should be talked about more!!
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    if you live near aldi's store you can get sea queen brand frozen shrimp, for cheap and I love the taste better than most shrimp brands..
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm not really sure why either. Some people don't like seafood that much. As far as price if you buy the big bags of frozen shrimp they are not pricey at all. Around my area (Ontario) you can get a fairly big bag for 8-10 dollars. I like putting them in stir frys. There are also great on skewers with veggies..marinate them and then put them on the bbq. Also with butter and garlic...yum. Oh and shrimp curry is amazing!!

I agree. They should be talked about more!!

I live in Ontario too. "Ocean Jewel" is a good brand and is inexpensive as you mentioned
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's also not that expensive (IMO), for a quick middle of the week dinner if I don't feel like cooking I can usually go to Farm Fresh and get 1lb steamed there so I don't have to cook it, enough for the whole family and if it's on sale it's about $6.99/lb. Then I just make steamed veggies to go with.
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite grocery stores is Aldi :wink: .. Queen of the Sea has the best shrimp and tilapia that you can ever ask for... Anytime I make sauteed shrimp and it taste way better than Red Lobster (favorite restaurant) then somethings up!! When I log in my tilapia it is high in protein but I rather high in that than fat and carbs and stuff!!
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Most seafood is good for you, but yeah, it's very much so the cost, I haven't had shrimp in almost a year :)

The Armadillidiidae is better known as the land shrimp. I have had some... tastes like shrimp including the salt flavour... getting people past the idea of eating them though.... highly unlikely. Let's not mention you would have to set up a decent trap to accumulate enough to make a serving.