question about water weight from sodium?

Options
I live in Asia, foods here are mostly relied on sauce and seasoning, soy sauce, fish sauce, 5 spice powder is the norm here. I know many says avoid process food, but it doesn't matter here because fresh food here are also high in sodium.

If I eat food with high sodium almost every day, will the water weight keep accumulating and I will keep gaining weight more and more or my body will later get used to it and balance out of its own?

By the way, I have already drink plenty of water and I am now try to eat more potassium rich food but then, I would be low on protein macro instead or just went over calorie goal.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    you will hold additional water weight if your sodium/potassium ratio spikes above whatever your normal weight is.

No you will not continue to gain weight. (if you are in a deficit)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll hold a few extra pounds of water maybe but if you're in Asia, look around, do you see a lot of obese people? They're eating the same food.
  • flobag83
    flobag83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i find this post very interesting because i dont know anything about this so-called "water weight by high sodium intake"... i have always had a problem with keeping my sodium levels down, my favorite food is soup and tomatoes (this includes tomato sauce, which is also very high in sodium), and sometimes i even eat soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

So potassium helps with water weight attributable to high sodium diet? i did not know this... i would like to learn more about this topic!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    you will hold additional water weight if your sodium/potassium ratio spikes above whatever your normal weight is.

No you will not continue to gain weight. (if you are in a deficit)

Agreed.

Have you considered making your food? I would assume that would give you more control over the ingredients and as such, the sodium content.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    i find this post very interesting because i dont know anything about this so-called "water weight by high sodium intake"... i have always had a problem with keeping my sodium levels down, my favorite food is soup and tomatoes (this include tomato sauce, which is very high in sodium).

So potassium helps with water weight due to high sodium diet? i did not know this... i would like to learn more about this topic!

Yes. When it comes to water retention, potassium has the opposite effect sodium does.
  • flobag83
    Options
    so i suppose i'd better start eating bananas!
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Coffee! I just learned that coffee has more potassium than a banana, like way more! Yay for my morning cup of joe!!!!!
  • flobag83
    Options
    i drink about 5 cups of coffee a day... so maybe its not just water weight haha! :tongue: :blushing:
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have tried cooking by myself but it is not working..I live alone and things spoiled easily. I also 'have to' eat out often so most of the food I made got spoiled in the fridge.

I know if it high sodium food for a period of time, for example, a week or 2 will cause temporary weight gain. However, if I eat it everyday, will my body get used to it and balance it out?
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have tried cooking by myself but it is not working..I live alone and things spoiled easily. I also 'have to' eat out often so most of the food I made got spoiled in the fridge.

I know if it high sodium food for a period of time, for example, a week or 2 will cause temporary weight gain. However, if I eat it everyday, will my body get used to it and balance it out?

I also live alone and the best way to save food is to take advantage of the freezer. You can freeze just about any meal and make it last weeks instead of days!! I also have to eat out when out of town on business. I always go over my sodium limits when out of town but I keep them from skyrocketing by making every other restaurant meal a vegetarian salad. I personally get really bloated and feel terrible if I overdo the sodium :(

I agree that you will not continue to gain weight if you keep consuming high amounts of sodium. You can only hold so much water weight. However, high sodium levels can increase your blood pressure and are thought to be a risk factor for heart disease. Just something to think about.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Those are just excuses. Lots of people cook for 1. And how do you "have to" eat out a lot?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time being so disciplined coming home tired from work and having to cook fresh food all the time, so i try to get frozen vegetables if i know i might not get to them right away.. I think they are nutritious still.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did not said that I will not cooking for myself at all. I tried cooking a big meal and keep it in freezer for a while but most of the time it got left there until they are gone bad. So what I cooked for now is stir fried because it is easy for portion control but it is calories dense because the food here in Southeast Asia are mostly eat with rice/noodle, or high sodium because of the sauce, not to mention the fat content from the oil from stir fried. I know as long as we are in deficit, it is OK to do that but I am not trying to lose weight, I am just trying to maintain but the local food here make it hard to control of the sodium and carb portion.

I usually eat 2 meal or 2 meal with 1 light snack during the day because having light small meal through out the day won't fill me up. I usually skip breakfast and have lunch-the time I has to eat out....for work!! Mostly every day food here in Asia are stir fried/deep fried. I could have some clear soup but it is hot and humid here all the time so I choose not to eat it. Then dinner time...usually stir fried, or I just have something simple like boiled egg, cereal, canned tuna, salads..but it gets boring after a while...I could cook some western food but the ingredients to make those dishes is expensive here.

That is why I ask., if I eat high sodium food , or cook food with high sodium sauce/seasoning (like the local folks here) often, will my body get used to it and balance it out, or my water weight will accumulate and I will keep gaining my weight from sodium? That is what I only want to know...

:(