Fresh green beans

Options
skyekeeper
skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
I have some fresh green beans and would love if anyone could share any great recipes they may have. Not really sure the best way to prepare them.

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I steam them and add EVOO and fresh oregano with a pinch of salt and cracked black better. Good served hot or cold. I do the same with Asparagus. Good Luck
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Fry up 1-2 slices of bacon, drain most of the grease, add a bit of water and the green beans, cover and cook until tender. Add a little salt when done. While cooking you can also add in some garlic and even green/red peppers and some chopped onion if you like.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I saute in a little bit of olive oil, in a covered pan until they are softened (but not mushy). Then I throw a pinch of french fry seasoning on them. Even my 3 year old loves them.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Mine is really simple. If you have a pressure cooker it cooks in about 15 minutes. If you are cooking them in a regular pot, I would add enough water to cover the beans let them cook for about 45 minutes. If you have a crock pot, I would put them on low and cook all day.

Snap and wash beans. Put in pressure cooker with a little EVOO, onion, red potatoes, salt, and pepper. Put in enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Put on high heat until the spout on the pressure cooker closes, then lower heat to med. Let cook for about 15 minutes and turn off stove.

My family loves them this way, and it's really simple to do.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i like adding butter and sliced almonds for green bean almondine.
  • taycheese
    taycheese Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i steam them and add pepper
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love to do a simple stirfry. A little oil in the pan, lots of garlic and red pepper flakes. Toss the green beans for just a little while, until they green up a little. They're great when they still have a bit of crunch to them! Sometimes I'll toss a little vinegar in at the end.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I simmer them for about 20 minutes in a reduced sodium chicken stock. I like to make extra and just let them sit overnight at room temp in the stock and then remove them and use em in salads and such. One of my favorite vegetables actually.
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1. Steam them in a pot or in the microwave.
    2. Drizzle with melted butter (I used Smart Balance Light) or extra virgin olive oil.
    3. Sprinkle with some fresh chopped dill and salt/pepper to taste.
    4. Enjoy!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In the oven or on the grill, wrapped in foil with olive oil, fresh garlic and salt & pepper. This is the best method for all veggies.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I am a gardener and just recently started picking my green beans. I prepare them many ways!

Fry 2 slices of bacon, (only 35 cals per slice if cooked crisp!) drain very well (I even wipe the pan with a paper towel), add some diced vidalia onion and cook til crisp tender. Add a small amount of beans to the pan and stir fry or add a bit of water, put on a lid and steam til crisp tender.

Make foil dinners. Put a piece of your favorite lean meat (I usually use 85/15 hamburger) in foil, add cut up sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms and whole green beans. You can use any combo of any veggies. Toss on the grill or in the oven and cook until the meat is done. Easy cleanup and everyone can make their own dinner.

This one is light and delicious, perfect for summer. On low heat, warm up 1T butter, 1T olive oil and 1/2 tsp minced garlic, cook for 3 minutes (low heat), add lemon zest to taste and 1T of fresh lemon juice. Cook until zest begins to curl and take off heat immediately.. Garlic burns quickly so do not walk away from the pan! Toss with crisp tender cooked beans, salt and pepper to taste.

They are good plain too! Cook in a pan with 1/2 cup water, when it begins to steam, put a lid on the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    In the oven or on the grill, wrapped in foil with olive oil, fresh garlic and salt & pepper. This is the best method for all veggies.

I love doing this. When I don't feel like grilling/baking, I steam them and then drizzle with apple cider vinegar right before eating.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The bf loves them this way... steam them, then add a sliver of butter, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin. I use about equal parts of each.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Steam them with some potatoes. Then crush the potatoes, cut the beans into little pieces, add some salt, pepper, an egg and parmesan cheese, bread crumbles on top and put everything in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Tasty!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas.