I'm allergic to everything.

Options
Hello everyone,

I've tried losing weight before, and I've also lost weight without trying, but that was because of a very specific lifestyle that can't be replicated at home (long story short, I was away at college and ate nothing but ramen and honey buns...but walked about five hours a day). But when I'm busy, I can easily stop eating for long periods of time and feel fine. However, I'm almost NEVER busy. I have a lot of free time even though I'm in school now six days a week. (Naturally, I live in an area with no sidewalks and no places to walk except the side of the highway, so I can't use my time that way.)

The problem is that I'm allergic to many, many foods that I ideally should be eating. I've finally discovered that I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, which means I can't eat melons, bananas, zucchini, carrots, pears, peaches, and a ton of other foods. I'm also deathly allergic to all tree nuts, and I've found over the years that I can't eat many other things as well, like apples, yogurt, and Sara Lee bread or whole-wheat bread. I've limited myself to simple foods like cereal and bread (though there are a lot of cereals I can't eat either...like Life, strangely).

I'm eating so many carbs every day since I can't eat anything else, and this adds up. Is there anything I can do? I used to juice fruits, but this isn't really sustainable since I have to wash a bulky item and it doesn't help my fruit allergy that much anyway.

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to protein foods as well? Like meat?
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I've tried losing weight before, and I've also lost weight without trying, but that was because of a very specific lifestyle that can't be replicated at home (long story short, I was away at college and ate nothing but ramen and honey buns...but walked about five hours a day). But when I'm busy, I can easily stop eating for long periods of time and feel fine. However, I'm almost NEVER busy. I have a lot of free time even though I'm in school now six days a week. (Naturally, I live in an area with no sidewalks and no places to walk except the side of the highway, so I can't use my time that way.)

The problem is that I'm allergic to many, many foods that I ideally should be eating. I've finally discovered that I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, which means I can't eat melons, bananas, zucchini, carrots, pears, peaches, and a ton of other foods. I'm also deathly allergic to all tree nuts, and I've found over the years that I can't eat many other things as well, like apples, yogurt, and Sara Lee bread or whole-wheat bread. I've limited myself to simple foods like cereal and bread (though there are a lot of cereals I can't eat either...like Life, strangely).

I'm eating so many carbs every day since I can't eat anything else, and this adds up. Is there anything I can do? I used to juice fruits, but this isn't really sustainable since I have to wash a bulky item and it doesn't help my fruit allergy that much anyway.

I'd ask the doctor that diagnosed your allergies to refer you to a dietician. They will have the ability to help you design a meal plan of things that you can eat easily.
  • fancyheader
    Options
    No, in fact I've never known a case of someone being allergic to meat...
    Although I've found that I can't eat albacore tuna either, and I generally don't eat meat anyway. I'm not worried about my protein consumption at all (I eat a lot of fish)—I just know that I can't keep living on carbohydrates all the time.

EDIT: Oh, and worst of all, tea gives me vertigo. Things keep piling up.

Pam: I know that would be the best thing for me to do, but I don't have insurance and it's just a hassle to go see a doctor.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating what you can but in measured portions and getting an exercise routine if you dont have a set one...also not sure if your allergic to spinach but its a great filler and can be topped with practically anything
  • irelys03
    irelys03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you tried Herbalife nutricion? If interested let me know i can get you started right away.
  • Squash97
    Squash97 Posts: 84
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with a milk allergy and it was really difficult at first trying to find a way that she could get enough calories to grow in a healthy way. Milk is in so many things, like breads, may pre-packaged foods, etc. I started having to learn how to cook healthy things for her. You could try getting a cookbook that is specifically geared towards those with allergies. Start learning things that you can substitute, and figure out things that you can make and freeze, so that you can pull them out when you get hungry instead of going toward something pre-packaged. I steam veggies I like and keep them in the fridge, then heat them up when I'm hungry. I bought whole-wheat flour to make home-made waffles for my daughter with soy milk and blue-berries in them. I wish that I could help you more specifically, but the allergies we are dealing with aren't the same. To eat healthy really means learning how to cook and whip up healthy foods, I go out to eat maybe once a month. Try to figure out things that are good for you, that you like, and aren't allergic to. If you don't like raw broccoli, try steaming it and putting a little Smart Balance Olive Oil Light on it (that's what I cook with for my daughter because it is a dairy free "butter"). That's just an example. You may not end up with the most variety, but hopefully you'll at least find somethings to help you. Allergies are a large struggle, but the more you learn about foods that you CAN eat, and recipes that are OK, the easier it seems. I hope that you're able to find a solution!!!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you do not have luck at a doctor/allergist, I would highly suggest a holistic nutritionist. They are usually not covered by insurance, though. After 10 years of migraines, constant weight gain and numerous environmental allergies, I saw a holistic nutritionist. Modern medicine tests (allergy tests, etc) showed I had no allergies, but the holistic person found I had some extreme sensitivities to certain foods. I was eating tuna all the time, but it turned out I had some sensitivity to it. Once I figured out what foods set me off, the migraines, the general gross feeling, and my overall life quality improved. Some people will say it is hocus pocus, but it worked for me and many others I know. Also, there is a book out there "Are you Food Allergies Making you Fat?". All very interesting.

Good luck!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with a milk allergy and it was really difficult at first trying to find a way that she could get enough calories to grow in a healthy way. Milk is in so many things, like breads, may pre-packaged foods, etc. I started having to learn how to cook healthy things for her. You could try getting a cookbook that is specifically geared towards those with allergies. Start learning things that you can substitute, and figure out things that you can make and freeze, so that you can pull them out when you get hungry instead of going toward something pre-packaged. I steam veggies I like and keep them in the fridge, then heat them up when I'm hungry. I bought whole-wheat flour to make home-made waffles for my daughter with soy milk and blue-berries in them. I wish that I could help you more specifically, but the allergies we are dealing with aren't the same. To eat healthy really means learning how to cook and whip up healthy foods, I go out to eat maybe once a month. Try to figure out things that are good for you, that you like, and aren't allergic to. If you don't like raw broccoli, try steaming it and putting a little Smart Balance Olive Oil Light on it (that's what I cook with for my daughter because it is a dairy free "butter"). That's just an example. You may not end up with the most variety, but hopefully you'll at least find somethings to help you. Allergies are a large struggle, but the more you learn about foods that you CAN eat, and recipes that are OK, the easier it seems. I hope that you're able to find a solution!!!

I totally understand what you mean! My son has egg, milk and nut allergies and cooking is a real challenge. Learning to cook healthy for him inspired me to start eating healthier myself.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion? Try Biofeedback. It really does work. Google it. :happy:
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    I can relate a bit due to my allergy to Corn. Corn is in EVERYTHING (especially processed foods). It seems like there's no way out, and it's a constant struggle. I'm sure you must feel the same way. One of my struggles was to get the bad stuff. It's hard. My best advice would be to prep meals ahead of time. Can you tolerate veggies and fruit if they are cooked? Prepping foods is annoying, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It's not too hard of a habit to start getting into. If you need support about having to cut foods out, I've been there, and would love to lend an ear.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I found this web site: http://www.oprah.com/health/Oral-Allergy-Syndrome-Nutrition-Advice.

Dr Katz says you may be able to peel some fruits and that will remove the pollen attack.
    Also boiling can denature the pollen problem on some foods.
    He also said that some people can take antihistamines to subdue the response.
    He said more, so you may want to read his suggestions.

Hope that helps. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • fancyheader
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far for your replies. I'm going to try boiling/cooking the fruit (could be an interesting experiment), and cooking my own foods; and nosocorny: I know what you mean; WALNUTS are in everything...even, if I'm not mistaken, Honey Nut Cheerios!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been living with Celiac's Disease for the last 10 years: during that time, there have been several long moments (I'm talking months) when it seemed I was allergic to almost everything! I started keeping a food diary and switched what I could to organic. I ate smaller amounts and tried to cut out negativity (no bad thoughts, stayed away from people that were mean or just vindictive, etc.): I tried to get a more positive outlook and started working out. Amazingly, there is a lot I can eat that I thought I couldn't eat (turn out I can't eat soy based, not allergic, but intollerant: very different). Getting tested is a REALLY GOOD IDEA, even if you don't have insurance, many Dr's offices, if you're up-front about your money situation, will work a payment plan. Get the tests done because this is YOUR life and it's the last thing you want to mis-diagnose.

I wish you all the best of this journey: I know you can find a way to conquer this and achieve your results :flowerforyou:
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    Corn was one of the biggest crops grown in the US in the early 1900s. We have an extensive amount still being grown here in the US. They are trying to figure out what to do with the crops, so they put it into everything. Foods, paper towels, cell phones, water bottles, you name it. It's hard for it to not be anywhere. I change my soaps on a regular basis, have had to change laundry detergents, I've had to stop using water bottles, and mostly, cut out a HUGE portion of my "old diet" (that diet was doing me in anyway.) I always Joke about moving over seas. It's not supposed to be as bad over in Europe. Good luck with your first game plan! We're here to support!