Oscar Mayer Chicken Breast hot dogs... your thoughts?

Options
I tried them and loved them. Made from all chicken breast - not mechanically separated parts of parts. Only 5 g. fat. Anyone else tried them?

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Nope, would rather just eat the chicken breast in a less processed form.
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you're craving a hot dog, and it fits in your calorie and macro goals for the day, go for it!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is the PINK SLIME McDonalds makes their chicken nuggets out of squeezed into hot dog casings. :sick:

I try not to eat processed meats at all right now.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat them either, but my boyfriend was wanting to cook hotdogs over the fire pit and they looked like the best thing for me.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Processed meat junk food. Avoid.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There are worse things, but they are still highly processed and loaded with sodium.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    A really good alternative for hot dogs are either chicken apple sausages, or blackwing ostrich hot dogs. I have had both and the ostrich are my new obsession.
  • dawndm88
    dawndm88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat a hot dog be smart and choose the healthiest option which in my opinion would be an Applegate Organic and Natural Beef Hot Dog. "This classic frank is made from quality cuts of natural beef with no added nitrites or chemical preservatives. It’s also lower in fat than most conventional beef franks."

http://www.applegate.com/products/hot-dogs/category
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Anything can taste good with tons of ketchup, kraut, and mustard on it :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but processed meats have been shown to increase risk of colon cancer. I'd eat them sparingly.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat a hot dog be smart and choose the healthiest option which in my opinion would be an Applegate Organic and Natural Beef Hot Dog. "This classic frank is made from quality cuts of natural beef with no added nitrites or chemical preservatives. It’s also lower in fat than most conventional beef franks."

http://www.applegate.com/products/hot-dogs/category

I second Applegate organic hot dogs. They taste good and I eat them all the time.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you go to your local butcher they actually have premade chicken hot dogs (or sausage links) that they grind from chicken breasts and make.. just another suggestion to avoid the processed procedure that Oscar Mayer would do.. I looked at the nutrition pretty low protein for what you get.. I know its only a hot dog but for 5g of fat and 7g protein.. ya...
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If the calories are worth the change in taste, do it. I'm not going to pretend those smokies never went on my food log lol :)
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ballpark has some too. Very tasty.
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love the Thin & Trim chicken hot dogs. 70 calories of yummo!
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I want a hot dog, I go for the real thing. The beef angus ones are good. I'll give those Applegate ones a try if I can find them.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Why not? A hot dog or two isn't going to kill you every now and again.

If you read the labels carefully you can find some that aren't all that bad. I feel fortunate to have found a local butcher that makes their own. All natural and very low sodium. Only 130 per dog :bigsmile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Meh, I thought they had a weird texture and something was missing in the flavor. Weird too because I normally enjoy turkey substitutes like pepperoni, but the chicken hot dogs were icky to me.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I bought a ton of Oscar mayers smokies sausage links for convience if dont have time to make stuff or have no protein bars on hand. Usualy they are on sell at Walmart 2 for $3.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I will!