Help! My salad is dry!

Options
I've started a diet (under a doctor's care) that completely eliminates carbs and a lot of sugar and fat. I can eat all the salad I want, but I can't use dressing and plain lettuce really doesn't do it for me. Does anyone have any dressing alternatives they use? I can't have balsamic vinaigrette or red wine vinegar because of the sugar content, so I need something else that is 0 Carbs, 0 fat, and 0 sugar. Does such a thing exist?

Replies

• LazySugar
    LazySugar Posts: 12
    Options
    Could try Walden Farms stuff? (0 cal 0... almost everything?) For us they're in the same aisle as the regular dressing but ask an attendant if you can't find it. I will warn you, responses to them are... varied. Some people like'em, some people think it's the surest sign of the apocalypse. You won't really know 'til you try.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 lemon squeezed for juice (or lime), and chopped up cilantro.

Refreshing and flavorful dressing. Feel free to change as you wish.
  • dawndm88
    dawndm88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Salsa mixed with Daisy Light Sour Cream.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You can make your own flavoured 0 kcal vinegar by steeping herbs and / or garlic cloves in regular white vinegar. Also, a spoonful of Greek yoghurt, kwark or something similar might do the trick for you.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I just do lime juice.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    add banana peppers? pico de gallo is also yum
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I cook or broil my protein and top the salad with that, and let the juices from the meat be my dressing. I do that or a little bit of lemon juice or olive oil.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great addition! Also add some cucumbers or fruit to get some juice into it.
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    I use extra light mayo (10cals ber tbsp) and add lemon juice and seasoning. Not fat free but theres not much in it!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar or olive oil with lemon juice. I don't use store bought dressing anymore. Too many preservatives
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    red wine or balsamic vinegar.
    No oil necessary.

Salsa is great on salad also.
  • mjsoccermom
    mjsoccermom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Easiest is Lemon Juice or even cut up lemon in your salad.

what you put in the salad sometimes can make it easy to go without dressing....When a put a small slice of avocado...I cut it into tiny little cubes and spread it through out the salad...another is plain vinegar sprinkled in the salad. Cube up apples when you are allowed natural sugars...If you are able to do a low sodium ham or turkey, those are wet and make it easy to not use dressing....

however, it depends on how stricked your dr is being (purpose) if you are detoxing from sugars cuz your a sugar addict...sometimes its just necessary to choke down your dry salad for a while (you will be surprise it starts to taste good that way after a while)

Good luck
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hmm, so it *completely* eliminates carbs, but only "a lot of sugar", not completely eliminates sugar?

Obvious troll is obvious.:huh:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you are having salad with zero carbs?

But leaving aside the issue of carbs in vegetables, I'd make sure I add lots of watery things like tomato and cucmber, and chop everything very small and mix it together well. Humous and cottage cheese make great dressings too.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Mustard.

Plain yellow mustard is pretty much 0 everything. Not sure about the other varieties (i.e. deli/brown).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    1 part soy sauce to 1 part cider vinegar (or any vinegar without sugar). If you can afford the fat, add one part walnut or hazelnut oil.

Buttermilk is very low in fat. Ranch made from scratch is buttermilk, mayonnaise, dried herbs, garlic salt, pepper. Given your restrictions, you could skip the mayo. If you can afford the fat, a little low fat creme fraiche instead.
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just realized you said "no fat"

Nevermind then... there's really nothing you could add to your salad that has no fat and no carbs, that would leave only protein options... I think you're going to have to be a little lenient on this issue.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I like to have low fat cottage cheese mixed with chives on my salad, you can add salt and pepper to taste if you like. Not "fat free" but it's close.
    Or like others suggested, lemon/lime juice.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    so I need something else that is 0 Carbs, 0 fat, and 0 sugar. Does such a thing exist?
    No? I mean, what does that leave, straight protein, with no fat at all...
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice and black pepper. My mother turned me onto that years ago.