Tiny weight loss - noticeable?

Options
Some people that know I'm trying to lose weight will say "It looks like you're losing weight" or "I can see it" when they ask how much weight I have lost.. ITS ONLY BEEN 3 WEEKS. About 8 lbs from the last time I weighed in (last Wednesday) .. It's kind of uncomfortable because I can't even notice the weight loss on myself yet (& don't expect to for some time) so it feels as if they just say it to be supportive. I have a fair amount of weight to lose so no, I'm not one of those people who can lose 5 lbs & be totally noticeable. It's just a little uncomfortable & I don't want them to say they can see weight loss when they can't just for the hell of it. :/
Did anyone else hear these things from people early on in their weight loss journey?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people hold themselves differently when they start to lose weight. Even if it's just a few pounds, that progress is enough to lift our shoulders and spirits a bit, and I think that's what people notice.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If my wife loses 3 lbs I can tell. 8lbs I imagine they can tell. Looking at ourselves its very hard to differentiate between our mental projections of ourselves and reality.

that's why it takes a picture of us (unflattering!) often to get things moving. I know that's the case with me.

It would make sense that just looking in the mirror our mental image of ourselves takes a lot longer to adjust to reality than our physical image.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    GIRL ....you are doing an amazing job !! It's hard to not see it when we look in the mirror ! But I myself have only lost a whopping 11 pounds and my hubby won't stay off me !! Hahaa...no really my mother is pokin at me me saying, " where did your belly go" and I'm like SERIOUSLY it's still there !! So take the compliments you've earned them , yeah only a small pound Loss to you but go ahead and set a five pound bag of sugar up on the table !! YOU LOST THAT PLUS ANOTHER HALF!! Congrats on your journey !!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    GIRL ....you are doing an amazing job !! It's hard to not see it when we look in the mirror ! But I myself have only lost a whopping 11 pounds and my hubby won't stay off me !! Hahaa...no really my mother is pokin at me me saying, " where did your belly go" and I'm like SERIOUSLY it's still there !! So take the compliments you've earned them , yeah only a small pound Loss to you but go ahead and set a five pound bag of sugar up on the table !! YOU LOST THAT PLUS ANOTHER HALF!! Congrats on your journey !!

This! :happy:
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    But I myself have only lost a whopping 11 pounds and my hubby won't stay off me !! Hahaa..

Giggidy
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You know what is noticable besides weight loss?

Better posture.
    Confidence.
    Energy levels
    Animated facial features/guestures.
    Clearer skin/athletic flush to face.

If you feel good, you look good - and people notice.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 9 pounds and was told "you've lost a TON of weight!" I thought it was pretty funny. I didn't even realize my weight had gotten in to "tonnage." :tongue:
  • availles
    availles Posts: 11
    Options
    You are making great progress but don't just measure yourself by weight alone. Your attitude to life is so important too,Feeling happy should be your goal. If you put a pound back on it isnt too important.Small strides to improving your overall health is the way forward. Check out MFP/Fitbugorb as a way forward.It works for me.