anyone maxed out their sugar allowance at breakfast?

Options
Hi
My favorite quick breakfast has been my coffee ( with natural bliss sweet cream creamer), chobani pineapple yogurt and blueberries. Unforntunately that is more sugar than I am allowed all day! Can exercise give me back some sugar points?

Help!
Carla

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugars just ignore them. Try to limit the amount of refined and processed sugars you consume but don't worry about it.

I go over my sugar amounts daily at breakfast. I tend to eat a lot of fruit at breakfast so I'm always well over.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sugar allowance?? I have pixy sticks for breakfast.

(Don't count fruit as sugar)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I too eat a lot of fruit at breakfast. At the end of the day I tend to glance back and make sure the majority of my sugar calories came from fruit. Most days they do. Some days they don't. So long as my overall day looks good I don't sweat the sugar calories.
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    I am always WAYYY over my sugar each day purely becuase I eat alot of fruit. I try to just filter in my head how much "bad" sugar ive had in a day and go by that. The majority of it is always from fruit/dairy etc so i just ignore it!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't have a sugar allowance. I have a carb allowance. As long as I'm within my range, I don't care if every single gram comes from sugar.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Obviously eating a LOT of fruit isn't a great idea (eating a lot of anything isn't great... but fruit is really high in sugar)... that being said, I definitely don't count sugars from fruit towards my daily sugar intake. I also subtract my fibre total from my sugar total (that's a tip I learned from a diabetic... the fibre cancels out the sugar).
    It also helps to know which fruits are better... berries have much lower sugar than most fruits but things like bananas, melons and pineapple have buckets. Perhaps switch to a different flavour of yoghurt if you're really concerned... but realistically, the only sugars you need to keep track of are added sugars.
    The sugars in milk (lactose), fruit (fructose) and veggies are pretty much inconsequential. Sugars (sucrose) in packaged or processed foods are the ones that will cling to your belly (breads, carb products, sugar added to condiments, desserts, drinks).
    Your breakfast doesn't sound bad, at all... just make sure you're drinking lots of water, getting lots of fibre, and don't have too much added sugar for the rest of the day and you'll be fine :)
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    I find fruit a pain in the *kitten* to eat, so I just have a smoothie every morning for breakfast. And that's my sugar allowance for the day gone. But I really don't care because it's only fruit, there's no added refined sugar, it's fructose and it's healthy. Don't get bogged down by numbers.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, fruit sugar or refined sugar. it doesn't matter HOW you intake sugar (fructose or sucrose), sugar will increase fat production in your body.
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    Obviously eating a LOT of fruit isn't a great idea (eating a lot of anything isn't great... but fruit is really high in sugar)... that being said, I definitely don't count sugars from fruit towards my daily sugar intake. I also subtract my fibre total from my sugar total (that's a tip I learned from a diabetic... the fibre cancels out the sugar).
    It also helps to know which fruits are better... berries have much lower sugar than most fruits but things like bananas, melons and pineapple have buckets. Perhaps switch to a different flavour of yoghurt if you're really concerned... but realistically, the only sugars you need to keep track of are added sugars.
    The sugars in milk (lactose), fruit (fructose) and veggies are pretty much inconsequential. Sugars (sucrose) in packaged or processed foods are the ones that will cling to your belly (breads, carb products, sugar added to condiments, desserts, drinks).
    Your breakfast doesn't sound bad, at all... just make sure you're drinking lots of water, getting lots of fibre, and don't have too much added sugar for the rest of the day and you'll be fine :)

you have got to be kidding....
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, fruit sugar or refined sugar. it doesn't matter HOW you intake sugar (fructose or sucrose), sugar will increase fat production in your body.

You will only gain fat if your total calorie intake is more than what you spend in a day.

Eating high sugar but being under your TDEE will not create fat gain.
  • JessiGoodwin
    Options
    I'm glad to see a post on this because I'm new here at MyFitnessPal and was wondering whats up with the super low sugar allowance... I've been over on my sugar every day so far and have only been eating raw foods (so absolutely no refined sugars at all).

Just my grapefruit and smoothie this morning put me WAY over my sugar allowance for the day. It's nice to hear that others are also ignoring this number. :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking on MFP, I was nearly tripling my recommended sugar allowance! I ate a lot of protein bars and drank a lot of power drinks like Gatorade, which had tons of sugar. I cut down heavily on these types of refined sugars, cut down on my daily OJ (I'm still meeting or surpassing most of my vitamin RDAs so vitamin C and calcium weren't a concern) by watering it down and having it every other day, and now I'm usually only going over my limits by 10-20 grams. I also created a new category for fruits, vegetables, and nuts, so I can easily see how much of my totals are from sources that I'm not concerned about.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I find fruit a pain in the *kitten* to eat, so I just have a smoothie every morning for breakfast. And that's my sugar allowance for the day gone. But I really don't care because it's only fruit, there's no added refined sugar, it's fructose and it's healthy. Don't get bogged down by numbers.
    or facts. Fruits contain sucrose, fructose and glucose in varying proportions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Agree with most things here, but I'd recommend replacing one of those foods with something savory. I'm of the school that sugar is somewhat of an addiction... make yourself cut back, and you'll want it less over time.

That being said, I go over my sugar every day! I just try not to have a lot right after a good workout because I want to avoid the insulin rush messing with my fat burn (sorry if that's inaccurate, it's the extent of my understanding right now).
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing for about a week now. Chobani was on sale so my wife grabbed 10 of em. 20 grams of sugar, and that's my daily allowance. I am done, right from the start. That's my choice though... I committed to this, so if I eat all 20 grams right off he bat, then I have to live with it through the rest of day.. Don't sweat it too much, it's not like your ears are going to drop off if you go a little over. Just keep a deficit in your diet and make it larger with exercise.
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    or facts. Fruits contain sucrose, fructose and glucose in varying proportions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

Whatever. I'm not gonna cry about using up my sugar allowance purely on fruit,
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Both dairy and fruit are "high" in sugar - although not processed refined sugar. They will send you over the sugar allotment quickly.
    I have been much happier since I stopped tracking sugar. Unless you are diabetic or have a specific health issue you don't need to worry about it.

If you like, you could try fruits with a lower sugar content like berries and apples vs. say bananas and watermelon.

Just my 2 cents
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The MFP sugar "allowance" is ridiculously low and is just a subset of your carbs. Stay within your carb allowance and disregard the sugar column. Unless you have diabetes or some other health issue, there is no need to track your sugar separately.
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sugar can cause bloat - but that is not real weight. And, according to all the research I have done, fruit sugar is not supposed to count towards your daily sugar allotment (as long as you stick to only 3 to 4 servings of fruit a day - eat more veggies than fruit) - but MFP counts them all the time. SOME of the sugars in your yogurt are from the fruit - at least 6 grams. Regular, plain, yogurt still has 9 grams of sugar, and fruit yogurt usually adds a bit more processed sugar in addition to the fruit. Don't worry too much about it.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    I was wondering that myself this week, but I've decided to ignore it, because the only reason why I'm over my sugar intake is due to eating a cup or two of fruits in the morning for breakfast. I pay more attention to my calorie and carb intake and I've still lost weight.