Options
2»

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    booze

I don't drink on work nights.

But a glass of wine a day might help... I've just never been that kind of a drinker.

Studies have shown that, while alcochol helps you fall asleep, it actually disrupts your deep sleep and causes you to wake up in the middle of the night more frequently. So I'd say negative on the alcohol.

I fall asleep to an app on my phone that has nature sounds. I can program it to whatever sounds I want and it's really nice to fall asleep to because it's very relaxing. It's on the Andriod market as Relax Melodies (free). Also, having a cool, dark room always helps. If it's too hot it's hard to fall asleep or stay asleep.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Try Magnesium. My sleeping has improved dramatically since I started taking mag. I switch my multi to one that has 200mg and added a 250mg mag supp.

I'll have to try that one. I didn't know magnesium had that kind of effect.

I don't have trouble falling asleep, but I wake up tense and with my mind racing. The magnesium really helps with that. Worth a shot at least.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I read that showers are supposed to be more stimulating, so baths were suggested before bedtime instead.

And since you say your mind is racing with thoughts about one thing, you could temporarily try an anxiolytic like Xanax. When there was a cancer scare in my immediate family, I couldn't get to sleep because of all the worry and stress. Five mg of Xanax at night was enough to calm my mind so I could fall asleep. There's no shame in requiring medical help through a tough situation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I read that showers are supposed to be more stimulating, so baths were suggested before bedtime instead.

And since you say your mind is racing with thoughts about one thing, you could temporarily try an anxiolytic like Xanax. When there was a cancer scare in my immediate family, I couldn't get to sleep because of all the worry and stress. Five mg of Xanax at night was enough to calm my mind so I could fall asleep. There's no shame in requiring medical help through a tough situation.

Thank you... it's not a bad thing though. It's actually a good thing. Just can't stop thinking about it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Viparita karani - Legs Up the Wall pose: http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/1140

5-10 minutes right before you get into bed.

Hmmm... yoga!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will disagree and explain the harmful effects, but....

I sleep every single night with the television on. I turn it on when I go to the bedroom and turn it off in the morning when I leave the bedroom. I usually watch a favorite show and then turn it to a nature or animal channel and turn it down a bit.
    After fighting onset insomnia for over 15 years because of racing thoughts, and even resorting to medications with ill side effects, I found that the TV distracts my mind from the thoughts and allows me to sleep. Whatever supposed brain problems media hype would have us believe will happen by sleeping with a TV on, apparently don't apply to everyone, because we are all different. I no longer take any medications for racing thoughts and rarely need anything to help me get to sleep or relax at night. I'm a perfectly functional adult who learned a way to get good sleep at night.

I also sleep with a fan blowing on me.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    ME. I'm not diagnosed, but it ain't hard to figure out. I don't know what I'd do if melatonin quit working for me. Up the dose? I need at least 1mg.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I sleep every single night with the television on. I turn it on when I go to the bedroom and turn it off in the morning when I leave the bedroom. I usually watch a favorite show and then turn it to a nature or animal channel and turn it down a bit.
    After fighting onset insomnia for over 15 years because of racing thoughts, and even resorting to medications with ill side effects, I found that the TV distracts my mind from the thoughts and allows me to sleep. Whatever supposed brain problems media hype would have us believe will happen by sleeping with a TV on, apparently don't apply to everyone, because we are all different. I no longer take any medications for racing thoughts and rarely need anything to help me get to sleep or relax at night. I'm a perfectly functional adult who learned a way to get good sleep at night.

I know what you mean. Everyone always say that showering at night is too stimulating, but I'm just the opposite. I find it relaxes me and eases tense muscles in my neck and back. I rarely sleep without showering first.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    flick_ya_bean.gif \m/

Seriously, I recommend this... for real.

I am ashamed to say this took a moment.

"huh?....oh....OH"
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I like Alteril
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. Everyone always say that showering at night is too stimulating, but I'm just the opposite. I find it relaxes me and eases tense muscles in my neck and back. I rarely sleep without showering first.

I go back and forth on the tv thing. I have the same problem--racing thoughts, planning out the next day, did I forget that one thing, and so on.... Normally, I turn the tv off and read before bed, but sometimes even after I put the book down, I still can't slow down. So I turn on some Nick at Night reruns to distract myself. I don't watch them, just fall asleep listening too them. Works like a charm, but only on those nights.

Other things that have helped me: valerian root, doubling up on workouts, not working out at night, avoiding caffeine and sugar after 3pm, and yoga a couple hours before bed. If you only try one thing, definitely try the yoga!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    flick_ya_bean.gif \m/

Seriously, I recommend this... for real.

I am ashamed to say this took a moment.

"huh?....oh....OH"

likewise... i was like, is that a green coffee pill? ohhhhh it's a...
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options

I go back and forth on the tv thing. I have the same problem--racing thoughts, planning out the next day, did I forget that one thing, and so on.... Normally, I turn the tv off and read before bed, but sometimes even after I put the book down, I still can't slow down. So I turn on some Nick at Night reruns to distract myself. I don't watch them, just fall asleep listening too them. Works like a charm, but only on those nights.

Other things that have helped me: valerian root, doubling up on workouts, not working out at night, avoiding caffeine and sugar after 3pm, and yoga a couple hours before bed. If you only try one thing, definitely try the yoga!

Oh my goodness! Nick @ Nite reruns have always been my solution to mellow out at night!

Other than that, I second the yoga suggestion. Look up Tara Stiles bedtime routines on google or youtube and you'll find some quick 5-10 minute routines that are super relaxing.

Also, have you ever tried Sleepy Time tea? It's very soothing to drink, especially with some lemon.

You say you don't have caffeine within an hour of going to bed. I would suggest cutting it out at least six hours before bed.

I have problems falling asleep too, especially lately with all the excitement of leaving the military. I feel ya!
  • abneys
    abneys Posts: 30
    Options
    I've had insomnia for years (like 20) and been through 3 different meds. First, if this is a new or longer term reoccurring problem or one that is getting worse, see your doctor.

Second, you should make sure to eat at least two hours before bed so you don't feel too full/uncomfortable lying down. Also, no caffeine after early afternoon (think 3 pm). Stopping the caffeine only an hour before is still too close. Since I like something to drink before bed, I drink hot herbal tea with a little honey and milk. I make sure to try and be sitting quietly with no distractions, other than a book, while doing so.

Third, one of the easiest tricks I have found is a sound machine. Particularly one with a rhythmic sound, like the ocean. Then you focus on breathing with the waves and think about nothing else. If you still find your mind racing, I keep a little pen and paper, so I can make a list of things for the next day/whatever I'm thinking about.

Most OTC herbal remedies for sleep need to be taken at least an hour before bed, if not more. If you're taking it too close to your bed time, you may not have let it disgest enough in your system. I also don't think they should be used for long term problems, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor. Once again, might be covering up something more that's going on.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yes. I generally see at least 2 hours go by. I figure at least I'm resting.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the phone mimics the same light as the tv, and may even be worse because it's so close to your face. Reading in bed is not really harmful, and may help you fall asleep as long as you're reading with a warm yellow light (like most lamps). It's good that you have a routine. Do you consume any foods or drinks that contain caffeine or alcohol in the evening? Both of those can affect sleep.

Edit: Eh, I give these suggestions as they've helped me. o: I guess they are the usual suggestions, but I'm a big ipad/computer junkie in the evening and moving to reading has helped a lot.

Yeah... I may have to put the phone away before I start my routine. I do consume caffeine, but not within an hour of bedtime usually. I've been listening to music during my routine too so that might be another thing I may have to cut out.

If I have caffeine any time after mid afternoon I have trouble sleeping. I know it should be out of my system by then but it happens every time I think a cup of coffee sounds good after lunch. You might try no caffeine after dinner, and if that doesn't help back it up a couple more hours. I also agree with electronic screens of any kind causing problems. When I have trouble falling asleep I lay still and really focus on my breathing, taking slow, deep breaths and exhaling in a very relaxed way. If I'm focusing on my breathing, I can't focus on other thoughts and my mind quiets very quickly and before I know it I'm sleeping.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Don't drink alchohol, it might help you get to bed, but your sleep will be less restful.

A few ideas:

Get in bed about an hour before you need to go to sleep. Turn off all the lights about a half hour later. You should even cover the alarm clock - you want it as dark as possible.

Breathing exercises/meditation can help to relax you. Focus on your breathing for 10 minutes/day. I think it's called Transcendental Meditiation (sp?).

Melatonin, GABA, Valerian, and magnesium before bed can help you sleep. Melatonin still requires you to practice good sleep habits (no tv/no computer/dark room).

Most importantly, reduce your caffeine intake and don't drink any after noon. It drives me crazy when people say "caffeine doesn't affect me" and then complain that they can't sleep. If you drink 3 cups/coffee, drink 2 and 1 decaf...or mix decaf with regular beans when you brew together. NO soda, coffee, tea, iced tea, red bulls past noon. You even have to watch things like chocolate (although a few small pieces might be ok).
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

It's not bog standard advice, but mildly BORING television works well - it's better than your phone because it's not interactive at all.

Alternatively . . . your doctor will probably be happy to prescribe something if you're a pill based solution enthusiast.