Low Carb Alcoholic

Options
Need low carb beer brands and low carb alcoholic drink recipes for the holiday weekend. Now before you get on my case that I shouldn't be drinking these because I am dieting/working on a life style change please don't. You can still have these once in a while and change your life style. You don't have to completely give up everything enjoyable because you want to become a healthier person. Thanks and have a great fourth!

Replies

• allen4mlbj
    Options
    When I celebrate a special occasion or an evening out, I drink flavored vodka with sparkling water, a splash of juice and a twist of lime. If I go somewhere where I can take my own mixers I usually use Crystal Light. For a real festivity, I make jello shots with sugar free jello. I rarely drink beer anymore but when I do its either Mich Amber Ultra or Bud Platinum. Both have about 5 gms carbs per 12 oz.. And not too high in calories either. Enjoy your holiday!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Low carb beer is not worth drinking, you might as well drink water.

Low carb mixed drinks ... well that simple, just buy low carb mixers as most spirits themselves are around 70 grams / oz.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Low carb beer is not worth drinking, you might as well drink water.

Low carb mixed drinks ... well that simple, just buy low carb mixers as most spirits themselves are around 70 grams / oz.

I agree with Dru. I don't drink beer so I can't suggest anything, but it I'm pretty sure it doesn't get more low carb than vodka/soda. Also, no one is lecturing you, most of us drink...a lot.
  • gracikle
    gracikle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i used to do atkins, vodka, bacardi or gin. :) drinking didm't impact my loss on it (i just didn't like the lifestyle maintenance of it) :)
  • iTemperence
    Options
    I like Mich Ultra Amber but the regular mich ultra is like water. Miller Lite also has always been low carb - it's around the same as the mich ultra. It's not terrible, but I agree with some of the other posters it's definitely not like your quality microbrew. Amstel Light is a little pricier, but also falls into the "lower" carb end of the spectrum.

Stay away from the "64" stuff - it tastes like they wrung the mops out from cleaning up spills of real beer. really bad stuff.

Jack and diet caffiene free coke is a classic, and almost any non-sweetened hard liquor is fine for keeping carb counts down. Just make sure that you have a lot of beef jerky, pepperoni, cheese and other low carb snacks on hand for after you have a few and you start to lose inhibitions... You don't want to reach for a handful of pretzels because that's all you have around the house.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yep, hard liquor and low carb mixers are the way to go. Word of note: low carb for long enough will turn just about anyone into a lightweight so don't be surprised if you haven't drank in a while and feel drunk faster than you remember.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yep, hard liquor and low carb mixers are the way to go. Word of note: low carb for long enough will turn just about anyone into a lightweight so don't be surprised if you haven't drank in a while and feel drunk faster than you remember.

Yessss. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After 3 weeks doing low-carb I drank vodka with water and man did that sneak up on me quickly.... you have been warned. :drinker:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Need low carb beer brands and low carb alcoholic drink recipes for the holiday weekend. Now before you get on my case that I shouldn't be drinking these because I am dieting/working on a life style change please don't. You can still have these once in a while and change your life style. You don't have to completely give up everything enjoyable because you want to become a healthier person. Thanks and have a great fourth!

But yet you want low carb beer, why not drink beer you like?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    your thread topic is a little misleading.....perhaps you should have added "drink" after your last word.
  • HSTanner
    HSTanner Posts: 5
    Options
    Michelob Ultra has come out with a raspberry pomegranate beer that has 95 calories and 5.5 carbs per bottle. And it's actually good and this is coming from somebody who only drank margaritas until I realized it was killing my progress :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    your thread topic is a little misleading.....perhaps you should have added "drink" after your last word.

this. i came in here ready to rip you a new one because i thought the thread was mocking alcoholism (based on the title).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    straight booze (or mixed with soda or diet mixer) or dry red wine. If you're going to drink beer, just drink beer...Ultra lights and lights and low carb beers aren't beer...they're water masquerading as beer. I'm a beer snob though...if I'm slumming I might have some PBR, but otherwise I'm a craft/micro brew guy all the way. If you're going to do it, just do it...doctored up water just isn't worth it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra has come out with a raspberry pomegranate beer that has 95 calories and 5.5 carbs per bottle. And it's actually good and this is coming from somebody who only drank margaritas until I realized it was killing my progress :)

fruit does not belong in beer...
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When I celebrate a special occasion or an evening out, I drink flavored vodka with sparkling water, a splash of juice and a twist of lime. If I go somewhere where I can take my own mixers I usually use Crystal Light. For a real festivity, I make jello shots with sugar free jello. I rarely drink beer anymore but when I do its either Mich Amber Ultra or Bud Platinum. Both have about 5 gms carbs per 12 oz.. And not too high in calories either. Enjoy your holiday!

WOW! I rarely imbibe anymore, but these are great tips for sticking to a low carb, lower calorie drink. Thanks for sharing!!! :)
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

QFT
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    LMAO....True. I came to this thread because of that one word. OP......just enjoy your holiday and drink what you like : )
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you have a lot of beef jerky, pepperoni, cheese and other low carb snacks on hand for after you have a few and you start to lose inhibitions... You don't want to reach for a handful of pretzels because that's all you have around the house.

Oh man....I stay away from low/no-carb diets because I (try to) ignore all the "fad" stuff, but if becoming an Atkins disciple means I can eat all the beef jerky, pepperoni, and cheese I want..... :tongue: