Does only water count?

SJSchwartz
SJSchwartz Posts: 131
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea. Does that count towards my water goals? Or not? Thanks!

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    I won't count coffee, juice, or soft drinks as water, but I do count tea... it comes down to what's "good" for me... I figure that since coffee has caffeine, juice has a lot of calories, and soft drinks aren't good for teeth and bones, they shouldn't count towards my water intake, but tea is generally pretty good (even black tea). So if your iced tea is actually tea, I would count that, but if it comes in a can or bottle, I wouldn't add that to the water log.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I won't count coffee, juice, or soft drinks as water, but I do count tea... it comes down to what's "good" for me... I figure that since coffee has caffeine, juice has a lot of calories, and soft drinks aren't good for teeth and bones, they shouldn't count towards my water intake, but tea is generally pretty good (even black tea). So if your iced tea is actually tea, I would count that, but if it comes in a can or bottle, I wouldn't add that to the water log.

Just so you are aware.....tea has more caffeine than coffee. :wink:
  • second_1
    second_1 Posts: 45 Member
    If your drinking something with caffeine, which will dehydrate you, then you should drink that much extra in water to balance it out.
    Some teas have caffeine but some dont-black tea, white teas (baby green tea leaves) and green tea are all naturally caffeinated.
    The only teas that are not caffeinated are herbal teas such as chamomile and mint teas.
    As far as hydration counts any liquid that does not have caffeine or alcohol counts.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member

Agree. It is caffeine filled and isn't good for your teeth either!
  • I dont count my homemade unsweet ice tea in my water. I only count my straight water as water. All others I put under drinks. I made that category to keep track of tea, water, etc.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member

Agree. It is caffeine filled and isn't good for your teeth either!

Nope defiantly not good for teeth! I once went to the dentist, they asked me if I smoked and when I said no they said "Oh you must drink tea!" I was confused till they told me that discoloration is very common with tea drinking as well :)
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    I usually balance it out. If I have a glass of coffee or tea I try to have a glass of water to "cancel" it out. Coffee and tea will dehydrate you pretty quickly (that's why you never ever ever have coffee when hungover-- it seems like a good idea but makes things worse).

My advice is to keep on enjoying your ice tea, but make sure to have some plain, old, natural water, too!
This discussion has been closed.