My biggest food challenge

Options
My biggest food challenge is that late night snacking in front of the tv! I can be SO good all day, eating healthy but I sit in front of that tv and crave the junk food and carbs. The stupid commercials don't help. It is SO easy to mindlessly eat (and completely blow all of the hard work I accomplished all day!)

I bought a hot air popcorn popper and will try to eat a few cups of that to see if that helps.

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How about carrot sticks? Or even cucumber sticks (they are my favorite). Drink a cup of tea (preferably a big one so it takes time) in a flavor you like.

Another favorite of mine: Do one exercise during each break. Say jumping jacks, planks, push ups, crunches, lunges, squats, burpees and stuff like that. Makes the time fly, gives you a little bit of exercise and is negative calories since you don't eat! Great for days when you just can't be bothered with the gym.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    Some days, I get the worst craving for something sweet late at night, so I keep one of my favorites in the freezer ready for just that moment.

I always keep a container of no sugar added vanilla bean ice cream and fresh strawberries on hand at all times.

Cut the strawberries into slices and place in a bowl. Sprinkle one packet of Truvia sweetener on them and let them sit for a few hours in the fridge to draw out the juices. You can mash them up a bit if you prefer it to be a little 'saucier' or just spoon over a serving of the ice cream.

This always cures that craving for something completely sinful and you are getting the benefit of eating fresh berries. Fruit is so high in sugar that I try to use my sugar allowances on fresh fruit to get all the vitamins that I can.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    popcorn is a good start. I buy the 100 calorie packs of popcorn because I have a problem with portion control, so once its gone its gone. Also, make sure you have a large glass of water with you by your side. Another tip go to bed early. I have done that recently, I start getting bored cravings and I just go to bed lol. Like someone else said do exercise during the breaks. I sometimes get my dumbells and do arm exercises during commercial breaks or you can clean something in your house on commercial breaks.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you can find and have healthier snacks prepared they're easy to grab no matter if you have a salty or sweet craving. There are a few different things I've been wanting to try that I've seen on Pinterest ie. honey roasted chickpeas, naked sweet potato chips and kale chips (Can you tell I'm more of a savoury than sweet person? Hehe)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you have plenty of calories left, then sometimes it's ok (although I know it's not exactly healthy).
    If you don't- then you could try chewing gum, or drinking water.
    Or do other things besides just watching tv. Working out will give you more cals anyway :P
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My husband *hates* commercials, (which is part of why we have a DVR), so we pause at the first commercial break for about 10 minutes and then we can fast forward thru the commercials for the rest of the show.

I used to do a couple of sets of simple exercises during commercials or at least get up and do a little household chore. Put something away, put a load of laundry in the wash, etc. Glutes squeezes, standing side leg raises, bicep curls, speed bag, dips, crunches, calf raises, etc. There are all sorts of no equipment or dumb bell only exercises you can do to pass the commericial time.

I also keep my water bottle handy and take a drink any time I think I feel 'hungry' or have the urge to snack.

I no longer keep unhealthy snacks in the house, so I can't binge on the stuff that isn't going to help me reach my goals, no matter how much I may want to. It's waaaay too much work to go to the store to buy the treats.