Grrr.. trying to get rid of last bits of belly and back fat

Options
Alright, I am generally condidered skinny, I have never been more than 10lbs overweight for my body size, but I carry all my extra fat right across the front of my stomach and love handles.

I'm 43, 5:9" and currently weight 149 lbs. I started MPF about 6 weeks ago and have dropped to 149 from 157. My problem is that all my weight continues to drop from everywhere except my belly/side/back..

According to the body analysis machine at my GYM, I have dropped from 15% BF to 9% BF (I know these types of scales can be off by 5+ % of more( vs the more accuarte BOD pod or Dexi scan, but it's all I have access to)

I am doing crossfit and running/cycling, I have been really trying to eat as clean as possible, but still can;t figure out why I can't seem to get to the point where I might actuall see my abs...

Do I really need to continue to lose additional LBS of fat? I never saw myself weighing 145 or less for my body height/size...

Thoughts?

Replies

• gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Options
    Back and belly fat is best stripped off with heavy weight training - plenty of upright rows & barbell rows, lat pulldowns etc. Good luck :)
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    hardest places to lose the fat from.... try lifting weights.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've had great success in burning a lot of my back fat via high cardio zumba/aerobic dancing. If you want to try that sort of thing :)

I've also noticed big differences in my body since I started to work with weights a month or so ago.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Wide grip lat pulldown and cable seated row machines for the back. They did wonders for my back.

That's my abs/obliques routine from Jefit including stretching and most can be done at home

Alternate Heel Touchers
    Alternate Leg Bridge
    Toe Touchers
    Leg Raise
    Scissor Kick
    Hand-Foot Exercise Ball Exchange
    Plate Twist
    Leg Pull In
    Seated Leg Tucks
    Wood Chops with Dumbbell
    Kettlebell Figure Eight
    Downward Facing Puppy Dog
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hit the weight room...

Also, with age, I've found that my diet really has to be almost dead on to achieve a 6 pack. I maintained one easily when I was in my 20s...it doesn't help that I let myself go to **** there for awhile, but really I'm finding that my body just wants to hold on to this little spare tire these days unless I really get it spot on. I can't do it personally....actually, I could, but I'm not willing to give up beer and what not.

I tend towards calories in/out, but I do think the older we get, the more our diets really have to be on target, with very limited ****, to achieve/maintain that look.
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Personally, I say stop looking at the number on the scale. Just start toning/lifting weights and see how you feel. Especially at 9% body fat. P.S. Congratulations on your awesomeness :D
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As we all suffer from our own personal demons and frequently are our own worse critic's, I am concerned about my weight getting too low and being unhealthy. I am a distance runner and triathlete, currently training for a fall marathon and then will start training for a 2014 Ironman for the fall of 2014.

The problem is that I am 43 years old but have the body shape of a skinny 13 year old with a slightly pudgy belly and love handles. My genetics (from my mother) has blessed/cursed me with small boned, thin build, which resists muscle bulking something fierce.

I have been doing Crossfit style workouts as an additional workout to help with the muscle conditioning, looks like I need to incorporate more specific weight training as the gym I go to focuses on the body weight exercises and cardio aspect of Crossfit and less on the heavy lifting.

I have lost fat and gained muscle and see a definate change in body shape and am happy with that, I just still need a little more attention to detail around my mid-section.

My training has never felt better, my times in my 5K up thru my half times have improved, and my cycling endurance has improved as well. I have no doubt that the training and better eating, as tracked through MFP, has helped me move to a new level, I just still need to take it a little farther.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to drop weight at this point. Maintenance calories and keep working out imo.