What's on your sandwich?

Options
Teardrop81
Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
I don't eat sandwiches much, but I'm trying to "clean" them up so to speak. We're going camping for the 4th and there WILL be sandwiches involved...as well as hot dogs and a plethora of other crappy stuff that tastes great and is bad for you. :smile:

What do you put on your sandwich? (And any tips on what healthy foods/snacks to take camping... if you have some they would be appreciated!)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    BBQed pulled pork, provolone cheese
    thin sliced steak, pepperjack cheese
    sausage, peppers, onions
    hamburger, cheese, bacon (hey, it's on bread/roll, so it's mostly a sandwich)
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    BACON
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches are healthy (depending on your use of the cream cheese - I use whipped because it spreads better and goes farther without using too much) and refreshing on a hot day. Otherwise, I eat peanut butter and jelly. I did have a blt with turkey bacon and avocado instead of mayo that was super yummy.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I put on turkey, cucumber, laughing cow cheese (or light cream cheese), lots of onion, and baby spinach. I haven't gotten sick of 'em yet.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would pack baby carrots, bagged snow peas, and some multigrain chips to munch on.

As for sandwiches.. I would go with turkey or chicken and all the fixings. (LTO peppers mushroom etc..) you can mix greek yogurt with a bit of mayo to lighten it, or mix greek yogurt with dill and lemon. (or maybe it was lime.. can never remember) add a touch of mayo if you need the fat.

peanut butter and protein bars would be good too, esp if camping involved hiking..

Otherwise enjoy it and just try not to eat the entire package of sausages and smores yoruself. LOL (for some reason I eat a lot more when I'm camping then normal, i'd just eat and exercise more the following week.)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Prosciutto, mozzarella, evoo
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I love sarah lee 45 calorie multi grain bread with turkey, cheddar cheese, lots of spinach, red onion, tomato/mayo mix, and banana peppers! It is SO good :)

As far as snacks......string cheese, nuts, yogurt, peanut butter with fruit :) Lots of yummy stuff!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    define "crappy" stuff or "stuff that is bad for you"....

There isn't anything inherently evil about any food....also, it's one day of many days...it is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I will be eating all of the hot dogs, all of the bratts, all of the hamburgers, all of the ribs, all of the pulled pork, and drinking all of the beer. It will be epic...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Bread, mayo, leftover meats, salt, pepper, dijon (depending on the meat). Basically whatever I can slice and fit between two pieces of bread.

The best? Leftover corned beef, thousand island, swiss cheese and sauerkraut on rye. Yum.
  • lilyaqha
    lilyaqha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    More veggie than meat. and the meat has to be organic and nitrate free. :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Probably almond butter and grape jelly. I am not a big sandwich person unless it has meat other than deli meat. Love pulled pork and French Dip sandwiches.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Butterball deli smoked turkey, Yellow onion, Tomato, fresh avacado and Miracle Whip! Sandwich just isn't a sandwich without it...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Peppered turkey cold cuts, bacon strips, 100 cal pack of guacamole, sprouts, and lettuce if I have any.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    define "crappy" stuff or "stuff that is bad for you"....

There isn't anything inherently evil about any food....also, it's one day of many days...it is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I will be eating all of the hot dogs, all of the bratts, all of the hamburgers, all of the ribs, all of the pulled pork, and drinking all of the beer. It will be epic...

/thread.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I put anything that's not bread on my sandwiches.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    THis is how I roll babycakes........... :bigsmile:

Wheat bread

Hellmans mayo
    Mustard
    Deli meat(varies)
    Cheese (varies)
    Avocado
    Tomato
    Onion!!!

YUMMMMMM
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I start out with home made bread, add ranch dressing, onions, turkey, swiss cheese, sprouts & spinach. Yummy!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I like hummus and veggie sandwiches. It's also pretty easy to make a sandwich spread by mashing cooked beans and adding whatever takes your fancy!
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Solid white albacore with diced pickle and baby spinach on whole wheat. I use mayo with olive oil for a little healthy fat.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourite sandwiches which is delicious, healthy and nutritious:

pain-bagnat.jpg

It's pan-bagnat: essentially a tuna nicoise salad sandwich.