Need a cheap but good pre-workout/post-workout shake!

skinnytayy
skinnytayy Posts: 459
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I need a shake for pre-workout and possibly post workout. I'm going to start Insanity w/Shaun T sometime towards the end of the week and I can't afford shakeology or anything pricey like that. What would be a cheaper, effective shake? I already know I'll need LOTS of stamina, endurance, and energy to do Insanity. I'm totally not in shape! Any suggestions?

Replies

• sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Do you have a costco nearby? They sell HUGE bags of whey protein in chocolate and vanilla for $30 ish per bag. I bought a bag of each back in May. My Hubby and I use 2 scoops a day. We still have half of each bag and they have lasted us since May! That is well worth it!

I mix 2 scoops of the chocolate in 20 or so ounces of water. i drink half before my work out and half after. It really helps on the days I am doing strength training.
  • nice tips
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    For a pre trainer I use N.O Xplode.

I believe it 45.00 at GNC but this stuff works! I looked at my husband when he told me to try it (he use to drink it in Iraq) now the taste is very sweet (but no sugar is in it) but it gets you pumped to workout! And afterwards you don't feel dead tired.

I usually am dead tired after I do Insanity especially when I do it at 5am....I get nothing done.....Not no more! lol
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Body Fortress at Walmart! It tastes sooooooo good (I bought chocolate, they have vanilla, fruit punch and cookies and cream as well) and it was only $19 Cdn, unreal!

The last whey protein I bought was $34, a Presidents Choice brand and it was so gross I almost never looked at protein ever again!

Body fortress has 140 calories so about 10+ calories more than most but still 25g of protein (off hand that is what I recall).

body-fortress.jpg

I have one a week, Saturday mornings after a workout w/ 1 cup milk and 1/2 frozen bananna and it makes a nice large smoothie. I don't have it more often b/c I get enough protein daily and a shake is 5 WW points with all that in it which is much higher than my normal breakfasts of all bran w/ flax.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Body Fortress at Walmart! It tastes sooooooo good (I bought chocolate, they have vanilla, fruit punch and cookies and cream as well) and it was only $19 Cdn, unreal!

The last whey protein I bought was $34, a Presidents Choice brand and it was so gross I almost never looked at protein ever again!

Body fortress has 140 calories so about 10+ calories more than most but still 25g of protein (off hand that is what I recall).

body-fortress.jpg

I have one a week, Saturday mornings after a workout w/ 1 cup milk and 1/2 frozen bananna and it makes a nice large smoothie. I don't have it more often b/c I get enough protein daily and a shake is 5 WW points with all that in it which is much higher than my normal breakfasts of all bran w/ flax.

The Costco Whey tastes a lot like the body fortress whey. I have used both of them and they are almost equally Good!!
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    I need a shake for pre-workout and possibly post workout. I'm going to start Insanity w/Shaun T sometime towards the end of the week and I can't afford shakeology or anything pricey like that. What would be a cheaper, effective shake? I already know I'll need LOTS of stamina, endurance, and energy to do Insanity. I'm totally not in shape! Any suggestions?

Insanity is intense, I currently do that right now. Shakeology is awesome as a post workout but ingeneral its meant to be a super meal replacement that can't be beat. The post workout at beachbody is the p90x recovery formula which is about 40 for customers i believe. its a 4:1 carb/proteion, ideally I only use it after weight lifting and not for cardio.

Out of the preworkouts I have tried and have seen reviews on, if you want something cheap. Jack3d i hear its good for cardio and weight lifting

as for post workouts. I assume you mean protein powders. That body fortress stuff is pure crap. Do yourself a favor and get real protein, there are proteins with more servings in the container and a better profile than body fortress.

tastiest protein- BSN Syntha 6
    2nd tastiest- Gaspari Myofusion
    most servings per container/best price, with good taste- 100% higher power whey protein

I shop on bodybuilding . com for the beest prices.
This discussion has been closed.