Is it best to eat breakfast early?

Options
I am never hungry until about 10am. Do you think it's better for weight losses to eat earlier? I get up about 6am ish.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nah, doesn't matter what time you eat. If you're hungry at 10am, eat.

The only thing that I wouldn't recommend is eating all your calories for the day in one meal. Other than that, whatever works.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The rules I followed which helped:

1. When you are hungry, go eat something

2. Whilst you are eating, go slowly to give your body time to let you know you are getting full

3. When you are feeling full/not hungry stop eating safe in the knowledge that you can always eat more if you get hungry again.

An example which worked well for me to highlight this was my breakfast which used to be shredded wheat, one serving is two biscuits at 8 am which would fill me up until around 10 am. I changed this and only had one with half the milk, this also kept me full until around 10 am at which point I had the second one. Same amount of calories spread out over a longer amount of time worked well for me :smile:
  • awie11
    awie11 Posts: 44
    Options
    I wake up at around 7:30 AM and I absolutely have to eat by 7:45 AM otherwise I'm starving but everybody's different. Some people only eat 2 meals a day, while I eat 6. It really depends on you and what you need. As long as you are eating at least your BMR everyday I wouldn't really worry about it.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Dr. Oz where he said you should eat within 2 hours of waking up in order to rev your metabolism. Not sure if that's 100% but it's something to consider.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options

2. Whilst you are eating, go slowly to give your body time to let you know you are getting full

3. When you are feeling full/not hungry stop eating safe in the knowledge that you can always eat more if you get hungry again.

^^Nice^^
    I get up at 6:30 and ride my bike 30 min (6 miles) to work. Coffee keeps me until 10 am when I eat a breakfast of about 325 calories. Don't think it really matters when you eat. I don't do hunger well so I snack on fruit or sugar free jello when necessary. I've found that a regular eating schedule has helped me control my calorie intake.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Dr. Oz where he said you should eat within 2 hours of waking up in order to rev your metabolism. Not sure if that's 100% but it's something to consider.

no.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is for the most part, irrelevant.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Myth. Metabolism is ALWAYS running while you have a heartbeat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

^^Nice^^
    I get up at 6:30 and ride my bike 30 min (6 miles) to work. Coffee keeps me until 10 am when I eat a breakfast of about 325 calories. Don't think it really matters when you eat. I don't do hunger well so I snack on fruit or sugar free jello when necessary. I've found that a regular eating schedule has helped me control my calorie intake.

Awesome.
    Also, if Dr. Oz says something, just do the opposite.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My first meal of the day is lunch. If I eat earlier I just end up ravenous all day long.

If you want to rev up your metabolism then have a cup of coffee or just move around!
  • Maree_
    Maree_ Posts: 65
    Options
    Thank you for your replies i shall eat when i get hungry. I find if it eat when i am not hungry in the mornings then i start picking at naughty foods!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I wake up at around 7:30 AM and I absolutely have to eat by 7:45 AM otherwise I'm starving but everybody's different. Some people only eat 2 meals a day, while I eat 6. It really depends on you and what you need. As long as you are eating at least your BMR everyday I wouldn't really worry about it.

I used to think this too. Then I started with 5:2. And guess what - my body can survive without breakfast. In fact I am hungrier at 9h30 (coffee break) and 12h (lunch) when I have eaten something for breakfast (around 6h30) than if I haven't. Everyone's different, but you might be surprised.

Eating when hungry instead of when the clock tells you to, is probably your best bet! I think alot of us (including me) have forgotten how to do this.... I'm learning it again ;-)