Can you tell me if these are good/bad foods?

Options
Eggs, yogurt, cereal.

And if you can add any other foods that people usually mistake for being good ones but they are really bad?

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Eggs, yogurt, cereal.

And if you can add any other foods that people usually mistake for being good ones but they are really bad?

Eggs are great, I eat the yolk as this is where the most nutrition is. If you want less calories just eat the whites. (but why do we eat? to fuel our bodies with nutrients or is it just about filler)
    Yogurt is good if it is real, same principle as above.
    Cereal is good if it is real, same principle as above. ( Real as in whole grain, not processed full of sugar/salt/chemicles.)
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Eggs- In my opinion are great! Good protein, good calories. Only thing I could think of is if you have high cholesterol, you may want to limit consumption.

Yogurt- In moderation, dependent upon what kind. For me it's a great snack and desert.

Cereal- Again, in moderation and dependent upon the kind you eat. Can't go hog wild on lucky charms, well on any cereal really. A good whole grain cereal with a good low fat yogurt is a good start to any day in my opinion.

For breakfast, I usually eat 6 eggs, turkey bacon, or cereal and yogurt.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    totally agree with nutshel and mark996.:happy:
  • NanaAtaa
    NanaAtaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eggs, yogurt, cereal.

I don't like to categorize foods as "good" or "bad". I believe in balance, variety, moderation, portion size. I do consider overly processed foods of any sort to be "not-so-good", especially for daily consumption.

Eggs: Eggs have been kind of stereotyped as a high cholesterol food, but in the food and nutrition world, it is considered to be one of the best types of high biological value protein, low in fat (it's the yolk that's high in cholesterol, high in iron, good source of vitamin A / betacarotene, and they're relatively cheap. What makes them bad? Frying them, scrambling them with cheese and butter, etc.

Yogurt: Great source of calcium, easier for most folks to digest because it is naturally low in lactose, wonderful food - on the list of "Superfoods". The healthier type is the nonfat one, one without a lot of added sugar or syrup (plain or Greek), that also has active cultures.

Cereal: As long as it is made with whole grains (stone-ground or old-fashioned oatmeal), oat bran, or is a simple, no sugar added cereal like cornflakes or Cheerios. Those are all some good choices. Regular packaged granola can be high in fat and sugar, so it's best to either make your own, or buy a lowfat, low sugar version.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat Yogurt for breakfast during the week M-F

Eggs are good in moderation

I just ate some Golden Grahams :love:
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As far as other foods, I mean anything really could be bad for you, if you're shooting for certain numbers. Some things are high in sodium low in calories, some are low in carbs but high in potassium. It's hard to say "don't eat this and don't eat that". You just have to do your research, find out what works for you. Besides the obvious, candy, ice cream, regular cokes, etc, it's all personal based. You could go to a nutritionalist and have them run some tests to find out more information to plan out a diet strictly for your body type and such, but that's a hassle and even then is hit or miss on some things. In moderation, most things are usually pretty good to go with, but everything about dieting comes down to portion control. The healthiest food in the world could be abused to end up working in a negative way with you.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I Live Low Carb personally so

I eat 2-4 eggs a day - YES YES YES:drinker:

No way :noway: on the yogurt......too much sugar and carbs
    No way :noway: to cereal....again too many carbs and sugar.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good, they should be prepared well though, if you fry them in hydrogenated oils then not so good. Use non hydrogenated oils if you choose to make them that way.

Yogurts are good, find ones with live active cultures though. Also watch the sugar/cornsyrup those don't really need to be added a lot to yogurts.

Cereals are okay it really depends on what kind it is, sugar laden then no, made with a ton of chemicals where you can't pronounce their names then not so good. I like Kashi's brands of cereals or puffed rice/wheat.

Read labels that will help with the yogurt, cereal choices.
  • richars65
    richars65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eggs - There is ZERO reason to eat egg yolks. They house the fat and cholesterol, and the whites have ALL the protein. I eat approx. 1dozen egg whites per week. Whites contain about 17 calories and have 4g protein each.

Yogurt - All yogurts are not created equal. It is good as you can get it fat free, it has healthy probiotic bacteria, and has a fair amount of protein and potassium. Watch the sodium and sugar as they are crammed into yogurt.

Cereal - There is no short answer for this. After all, barley (very healthy) is a cereal. So are cocoa puffs (not healthy). Cold cereals are generally full of sugar, sodium, or both. Cereal grains like oats are great if you prepare them yourself. READ the labels if you buy things like packaged oatmeal.

When in doubt, read read read the nutrition information, particularly where it gives info about the serving size. It's easy for a food to look good when it's nutrition info is based on a 1/2tsp serving size. Good questions!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i know you know these foods can all be good when the right choices are made,me i love fruit loops :noway: just not a good choice
  • rachmj526
    rachmj526 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    like most everyone else has said, there's good and bad of most foods. Just read your labels when making your choices and prepare your food as healthily as possible! That said I wanted to post this link I just found about eggs. There are lots of good nutrients (including protein) in the yolks, too. So, if you don't have a cholesterol problem, I don't see much bad with them.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients/nutrient-chart
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eggs - There is ZERO reason to eat egg yolks. They house the fat and cholesterol, and the whites have ALL the protein. I eat approx. 1dozen egg whites per week. Whites contain about 17 calories and have 4g protein each.

Yogurt - All yogurts are not created equal. It is good as you can get it fat free, it has healthy probiotic bacteria, and has a fair amount of protein and potassium. Watch the sodium and sugar as they are crammed into yogurt.

Cereal - There is no short answer for this. After all, barley (very healthy) is a cereal. So are cocoa puffs (not healthy). Cold cereals are generally full of sugar, sodium, or both. Cereal grains like oats are great if you prepare them yourself. READ the labels if you buy things like packaged oatmeal.

When in doubt, read read read the nutrition information, particularly where it gives info about the serving size. It's easy for a food to look good when it's nutrition info is based on a 1/2tsp serving size. Good questions!

Ever hear of macular degeneration? read up on it and egg yolks. And why the generation now most suffering from it for years were told no eggs!
    http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/An-egg-a-day-could-keep-AMD-at-bay
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Research before posting like this.

The yolks have the vast majority of the goodness, it is just that the yolk also contains most of the calories into the bargain.

All this eating the white only does my head in, some omelette that would be that I eat some morings if I threw the yolk away, it would be all white!!

Excerpt from the net below regarding eggs: http://www.eggs.org.nz/nutrition.php

Nature’s Power Pack

Eggs are a powerhouse food - packed full of natural proteins, vitamins, minerals and other essential elements required for a complete and balanced diet. They are also one of New Zealand's favourite foods, popular across all ages and widely used in a variety of ways.

Eggs are an ideal food for sportspeople, vegetarians, and people who care about their health.

An egg contains the highest quality food protein available. Because it is so near to perfect, egg protein is often the standard by which all other proteins are judged. Based on the essential amino acids it provides, egg protein is second only to mother's milk as the ideal for human nutrition. A moderate amount of fat, about 5 grams, is found in a Large egg yolk - approx 1.5 grams saturated and 2.5 grams unsaturated.

An egg contains varying amounts of 13 vitamins (but no vitamin C) plus many minerals. An egg yolk is one of the few foods that contain vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin.

On a scale of 1-100 this is how the goodness of egg protein stacks up.

Whole egg

Milk

Fish

Beef

Soybeans

Rice, polished

Wheat, whole

Corn

Beans, dry
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    YAY EGGS!:love::love: :love:
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs boiled chicken, fresh fruit a rice cake and PB
  • animatedbecca
    Options

Research before posting like this.

The yolks have the vast majority of the goodness, it is just that the yolk also contains most of the calories into the bargain.

All this eating the white only does my head in, some omelette that would be that I eat some morings if I threw the yolk away, it would be all white!!

Excerpt from the net below regarding eggs: http://www.eggs.org.nz/nutrition.php

Nature’s Power Pack

Eggs are a powerhouse food - packed full of natural proteins, vitamins, minerals and other essential elements required for a complete and balanced diet. They are also one of New Zealand's favourite foods, popular across all ages and widely used in a variety of ways.

Eggs are an ideal food for sportspeople, vegetarians, and people who care about their health.

An egg contains the highest quality food protein available. Because it is so near to perfect, egg protein is often the standard by which all other proteins are judged. Based on the essential amino acids it provides, egg protein is second only to mother's milk as the ideal for human nutrition. A moderate amount of fat, about 5 grams, is found in a Large egg yolk - approx 1.5 grams saturated and 2.5 grams unsaturated.

An egg contains varying amounts of 13 vitamins (but no vitamin C) plus many minerals. An egg yolk is one of the few foods that contain vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin.

On a scale of 1-100 this is how the goodness of egg protein stacks up.

Whole egg

Milk

Fish

Beef

Soybeans

Rice, polished

Wheat, whole

Corn

Beans, dry

GREAT input!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I Live Low Carb personally so

I eat 2-4 eggs a day - YES YES YES:drinker:

No way :noway: on the yogurt......too much sugar and carbs
    No way :noway: to cereal....again too many carbs and sugar.

With Atkins there is the yogurt exception where they say the bacteria in the yogurt eats all but 4 grams of sugar making it technically low carb.........

However, I don't eat the chemical crap.

I eat Full fat Fage, 7 grams of carbs in a whole cup and it is very, very filling. After your done with induction give it a try..........

1 cup Fage
    Handful of berrries
    Stevia to taste

Stir all up and enjoy. When I was low carbing, this was a staple breakfast of mine.

To the OP:

Eggs - Yes, they are good for you. Omelettes loaded with some cheese, meat and veggies (onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms) spoon of salsa on top...........

And as far as cholesterol, the more you eat the less your body makes, so in turn eggs do not make your cholesterol higher. That was a myth that has been dispelled long ago. They try to preach that to keep everyone on the low fat band wagon. What a CROCK of Bull that truly is.

Yogurt - Greek yogurts are going to be your best bet. Without the fruit crap added in it. It is higher in protein, lower in sugar. Add fresh fruit for a healthy breakfast or snack.

Cereal - Anything you buy from a mainstream grocery store (General Mills, Kelloggs, etc, etc) is going to be crap. Cheerios, corn flakes, all of the above. May be low in sugar, but they are not whole grain..............It has been processed and ground up, there fore you are not receiving the benefits of the whole grain. IT IS A MARKETING GIMMICK.

Your best bet with cereal is Steel Cut Oats cooked in a rice cooker or a crock pot............Some of the Kashi products and cereals from stores like Trader Joes or Whole Foods are way better than the other crap.

I am not a grain eating person any longer, except for steel cut oats.