Insect/Veggie Recipes openly carefully!

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
Someone was looking for some recipes that use insects, bugs etc. within the last week. I remember seeing some eons ago and had saved some for a friend. Couldn't find those but did find these. Strangely and rather frightening that Orkin came up with these recipes. I do hope they aren't sold by Orkin or the word 'natural' doesn't seem to quite fit!

If you're easily disgusted.... consider yourself warned from this point on, seriously as these are real recipes!!:huh: :glasses:

Yes, these are serious recipes that ppl do eat and enjoy. But if you don't like bugs or plan on eating them anytime soon, you might wanna back up and close out this thread!:tongue:

Here's to those looking for something one of a kind for that 'Special Summer' get together...:drinker:

Just a side note, some are not low cal, so you might want to eat just one or 1/2 ? :laugh: or adjust the recipes accordingly:flowerforyou:

Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers

2 Squares of semisweet chocolate
25 dry-roasted crickets and/or grasshoppers with legs and wings removed.
Melt chocolate as directed on the box. Dip insects in chocolate place on wax paper and refrigerate. From Orkin

Granola Bar/Fruitcake, Desert

1 cup Cricket or Grasshopper Flour
1/4 cup Cherries, Dried, Chopped
1/4 cup Cranberries, Dried, Chopped
1/4 cup Water

This recipe is very traditional amerindian and does not take into account advances in cooking technology -such as yeast. It
is, however, a wonderful nutrition bar packed with protein, carbohydrates, sugars, and about 2% fat (better than most
granolas). Mix all ingredients together to make a coarse dough. Pull off enough dough to make finger-sized strips and lay
these on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350oF for 20 min or until the outside is deep tan (adjusting for the colour of
the flour) and a toothpick stuck into one comes out clean. Cool and serve as nutrition bars for snacks, hiking, or camping or
store for later use.Var. - Add 1/4 c Rolled Oats and a tad more Water to make this more like a granola bar. Var. -
Substitute other Bug Flours for slightly differing taste. From Edible Insects

Dry Roasted Grasshoppers

Spread fresh, frozen and cleaned insects on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Bake at 200° for 1-2 hours until desired state
of dryness is reached. Check state of dryness by attempting to crush insect with spoon. From Orkin
Garlic Butter Fried Grasshoppers
1/4 cup butter
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup cleaned insects*

Melt butter in fry pan. Reduce heat. Sauté garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add insects. Continue sautéing for 10 - 15
minutes, stirring occasionally. From Orkin

Popcorn Crunch

Here's an easy treat to prepare and take to the drive-in movie. The kids will love it.

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
3 quarts popcorn, popped
1 cup dry roasted insects, chopped

Blend the butter and honey together in a saucepan and heat gently. Mix the popcorn with the insects and pour the
butter-honey mixture over it. Mix well. Spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350° 10 to 15 minutes, or until
crisp. Break into bite-sized pieces. From Orkin

Grasshopper Goulash

20 GRASSHOPPERS chopped
2 handfuls of moss
6 owlets eyes
3 cups of chicken blood
2 grass snakes innards
3 cups of maggots
Fry the chopped grasshoppers with the owlets eyes and innards from the snakes. Once well cooked add the chicken
blood. Simmer for 15 mins. Serve on a bed of pan fried maggots and garnish with the finely chopped moss.

A large cup of Witches Tea goes well with this. Simply soak some elephants toe nails in the blood of 3 frogs for 3 weeks
then strain and bottle!! Delicious!!!!

Ok, so not so sure about this last one, but hey, it's worth a shot if you can find some elephant toe nails! That and a drive in movie..who even HAS those anymore?:noway:

http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~cbader/ghprecwithinsects.html#Shopping

Edited: had to fix some really trashy spelling:blushing: :wink:

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I should use that popcorn crunch on my nephews
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You realize, of course, that you have in your hands a million dollar appetite suppression product!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    You realize, of course, that you have in your hands a million dollar appetite suppression product!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :tongue: :laugh: Dang it what was I thinking not putting a copyright on the entire thread!! :smokin:

I actually feel a bit sick to my stomach now, but then I did before I read the website, so I won't blame the maggot recipes. lol
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I should use that popcorn crunch on my nephews
    They would never know and if they did, they'd keep munching on it! I hear grasshoppers have high protein content!

Though I did just read 1 fly has 15 cals in it! Yikes, keepin' that one offa my snack list next time:grumble:
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    Surprised there was no ant ones. Fire ants have a sort of cinnamon-y-ness to them (many a dare as a child, and as long as it wasn't poisonous, I would try it. I had mean brothers, hehe). Ants make good "popcorn" and also chocolate covered goodies.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Oh lookie what I found, something to do with an Eggplant I've yet to see a recipe for!

Kumba
    Bake (or nuke) eggplant until it is very soft. Let it cool and spoon out eggplant from its skin. Add fresh pressed garlic, olive
    oil,lemon juice, cilantro/corriander, onions,roasted red peppers (from jar). Chop and add celery (or fresh locusts or
    grasshoppers* if you have any) Serve with dental floss**to get those nasty celery pieces from dangling.

When you serve it to your guests, be sure to tell them all about the history of this recipe***. This curiosity will add to
    their appetite, and to your "image" as a messy gourmet.

* A word of caution regarding the use of fresh locusts. When you bring Kumba for your friend's potluck dinner,
    please remember that the locusts should not be so fresh that they crawl out of the bowl, fly around the house and
    eat all of your friend's houseplants. The plants can be replaced, but trying to mend the friendship after that kind of
    faux pax can really be a challenge.
    **On the side!
    ***AFTER they take a bite.

http://www.messygourmet.com/creations/issue2.html