Weight Training Duration per day and morning or night?

Options
I am a 26 y/o female in the process of losing 100 pounds. At this point I have made it 1/3 of the way and I seem to have hit a bit of a bump. I was doing an hour of cardio roughly 5 days a week and that worked for the first few months coupled with a healthy diet.

I hit a bit of a plateau about two months ago and have just started to lose again...I began to limit sugar and also quit taking my birth control because I was under the impression that was keeping weight on. I've also started to work weight training into my routine though I would ideally like to do cardio and weight training during seperate visits to the gym.

My overall questions are...

-What is the length of time I should be weight training?

-Should I do cardio in the morning and weight at night or vice versa? I had hoped to do weight in the morning and cardio at night because the weight machines are not as packed in the morning and I am also a bit self conscious, but I have seen a lot of places saying that you should cardio in AM weights at night.

Other info: I typically wake up at 5:00 and get to the gym around 5:30/6:00 (it is a 5 minute walk from my apartment). I do my 45-60 of cardio then home, to work, home by 6:30 and to the gym between 7:00 to 8:00 with my bf. Typically we take Saturday and Sunday off.

What should I be doing to get results? My main concern is my midsection right now because the first 33 pounds seem to have come off of my legs for the most part!!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

-What is the length of time I should be weight training?

-Should I do cardio in the morning and weight at night or vice versa? I had hoped to do weight in the morning and cardio at night because the weight machines are not as packed in the morning and I am also a bit self conscious, but I have seen a lot of places saying that you should cardio in AM weights at night.

-However long it takes to get the sets/reps in for the program you are doing. You should be doing a program. Most end up around 30-45 to an hour.

-Cardio in the morning. My reasoning is this: Overnight, your discs fill with fluid. When they are full, you are more likely to rupture or damage them. They seep back to normal in about 60-120 minutes after waking.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    -However long it takes to get the sets/reps in for the program you are doing. You should be doing a program. Most end up around 30-45 to an hour.
    this

-Cardio in the morning. My reasoning is this: Overnight, your discs fill with fluid. When they are full, you are more likely to rupture or damage them. They seep back to normal in about 60-120 minutes after waking.
    what?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    this

what?

Yep. That's why you're taller in the morning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16912401
  • iamsheepie
    iamsheepie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should be doing a program.
    this
    [/quote]

Thanks for the tips--could either of you suggest a specific program? I know that is probably impossible to do over the internet, but could you point me in any direction?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips--could either of you suggest a specific program? I know that is probably impossible to do over the internet, but could you point me in any direction?
    What equipment do you have access to?

Sounds like you are goign to a gym, so I'm going to assume most of the basic stuff. In that case I'd look at starting strength.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is good for me, so far. I'm in the first stage but its really popular on MFP with a lot of ladies but there are lots of programs out there! Stronglifts is another one, I haven't tried it but have heard good things on the forums!
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for heavy lifting i am not an expert but i can tell you what i am doing, that i love it and am seeing great results. New rules of lifting for women... it has a roughly 6 month program in there and you can start as low weight as you need.
  • iamsheepie
    iamsheepie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to get a copy of that book asap. The gym I go to has basic weight machines along with free weights, they have a recent selection probably 20 different machines (i don't know if that's the best word to use when describing them), basically the same ones I've seen at every gym I've ever belonged to.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What should I be doing to get results? My main concern is my midsection right now because the first 33 pounds seem to have come off of my legs for the most part!!!

Eat less. Seriously. Losing weight is all about eating less calories than you burn in a day. If you've plateaued then you're obviously eating at maintenance.

Also you cant control where the weight comes off. There is no such thing as spot reducing. So I wouldnt really spend any time worry about where its coming off and where its not coming off. That wont change anything.