I Am New and Stuggling..

Hi everyone,

I am a 23 yo girl who used to be the skinniest girl in her class, I seem to have become comfortable with myself and piled on the pounds. I am now over weight and want to lose 22 pounds. I have no idea how much I am supposed to eat a day.. and what I can have as treats that aren't going to make me "fall off the wagon".. I crave chocolate.

Also how often should I weigh myself? And would taking pictures help?

Its all I can think about at the moment and I really want to do well with this as really unhappy at the weight I am.

Thanks in advance.

Katie

Replies

• RealKatieHislop
    RealKatieHislop Posts: 25 Member
    I would also really like some friends on this to help me through :)
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    yes take pictures take measurements and weight. I decided to weigh every sunday (except when my monthly comes)

I love chocolate too, my favorite treat are the fiber one brownies only 90cals!! theres alot of tasty healthy chocolaty treats out there.

good luck!
  • swisseler
    swisseler Posts: 119 Member
    Probably the most important thing is to make sure to accurately log what you're eating everyday and try to stick to a plan. Don't worry so much if you go over your calorie budget one day, just try to make sure to do better the following day.

Pictures and measurements are up to you really. It will probably surprise you how different you look after sticking to a diet for a month or so, so I think that pictures are good. I weigh myself daily, but I think it's different for each person. I don't despair too much if I gain or lose a pound from day to day, but it really affects some people. In that case, I would only recommend weighing yourself once a week or even once a month.

Feel free to add me. I like having friends too. :)
  • swisseler
    swisseler Posts: 119 Member
    Also, I really like getting a pound of chocolate (like the Pound Plus from Trader Joe's), and just eating one square from time to time. Helps keep me sane. :)
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    I think if you put in your info on this website and how much you want to lose it gives you the amount of calories, should be 1200-1800 or something like that. And if you are going to treat yourself pick quality or quantity, like 1 small piece of double fudge stuffed chocolate brownie over 3 bars of plain hershey's chocolate. It's also important to be patient and stay committed.
  • RealKatieHislop
    Thank you both of you.

I live in scotland so will see what alternatives there are to what you have suggested, think I will weigh myself once a week and take pictures every few days.

Its nice to know when you are doing this you arent alone, this is my second time trying and I hope that talking about it more will help me because although my boyfriend is really supportive my family sometimes make fun of me, and make me feel bad for what I eat.

Heres hoping I can do it this time.

K
  • RealKatieHislop
    Thank you, I think I will do that as it will give me a goal!!

K
  • jenbob944
    jenbob944 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi Katie,

Have you tried logging your foods in the food diary for a few days And maybe looking at where you could cut back calories. I wouldn't worry too much if you go over. Just go at your own pace!

For me it was about making substitutions within my diet.
    When you crave chocolate you could be craving sugar... And instead of having chocolate...for example try having an apple. Apples are high in sugars and would reduce your cravings, and they're also super good for you! Or finding a chocolate flavour treat?!

My weakness is crisps...potato chips....whatever you want to call them! I've been substituting those with baked crispy apple slices. And also celery and carrot sticks dipped in salsa!

Personally, i only weigh myself once a week.
    If you weigh yourself everyday, you're not likely to see much of a change which can be disheartening when you're putting in a lot of effort. But all that hard work adds up....and by the end of the week or two weeks you can see results!!! But it depends on how you feel really, everyone is different.

I took a picture at the beginning of the month and will do it once an month and hope to see change
    Feel free to add me :).

My diary is always open to see. it's not to everyone's liking but feel free to have a look!
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    I love chocolate too. In fact, everytime I fall off the wagon and start gaining again it's because of candy. Ugh.

The best alternate I have found is to have a chocolatey protein bar (Zone Chocolate Peanut Butter are my favorite).
  • Its difficult at first , been doing this for 5 weeks now and it certainly gets easier
    I too sometimes crave chocalate . walk it off I downloaded the strivv app and its great especially of you need to exercise . welcome and good luck :)
    Everybody feel free to add me ~:)
  • RealKatieHislop
    I just craved chocolate and thankfully we had none so had some grapes. They were actually really good!! Fruit is not usually my "go to" treat.

Great idea to walk it off.. I will try that next time.