Oscar Mayer Chicken Breast hot dogs... your thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I want a hot dog, I go for the real thing. The beef angus ones are good. I'll give those Applegate ones a try if I can find them.

THIS

If you are just looking for something for a rare occasion, stick with a good quality frank. Hebrew National, Kosher Best, Vienna beef, etc. All beef hot dogs with a natural casing. One or two REAL hot dogs isn't going to break you.

Now if you are looking for hot dogs to eat on a frequent basis, then look elsewhere. Or actually rethink your desire to eat hot dogs on a frequent basis altogether.

Or if you have a Whole Foods by you, most of them make in house chicken and turkey sausages that are super delicious and made in house.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a hot dog for 7 months til these so probably one made out of dog food would have tasted pretty good! LOL My boyfriend kept talking about hot dogs for weeks until I finally gave in cause they started sounding good to me too! They definitely aren't on my rotation but thought they were ok especially roasted over an open fire!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    A really good alternative for hot dogs are either chicken apple sausages, or blackwing ostrich hot dogs. I have had both and the ostrich are my new obsession.

Now I want ostrich!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a hot dog for 7 months til these so probably one made out of dog food would have tasted pretty good! LOL My boyfriend kept talking about hot dogs for weeks until I finally gave in cause they started sounding good to me too! They definitely aren't on my rotation but thought they were ok especially roasted over an open fire!

Can't hurt to try it, probably better for you than crappy hot dogs. Good luck!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    No I have not. Don't they still contain nitrates?
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    No I have not. Don't they still contain nitrates?

The Trader Joe's chicken dogs don't.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=77
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but processed meats have been shown to increase risk of colon cancer. I'd eat them sparingly.
    No, it hasn't. All of these studies on processed meats are observational studies from food questionnaires. They can only suggest a hypotheses to be tested, they can't show or prove anything.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but processed meats have been shown to increase risk of colon cancer. I'd eat them sparingly.
    No, it hasn't. All of these studies on processed meats are observational studies from food questionnaires. They can only suggest a hypotheses to be tested, they can't show or prove anything.

No, they are not all observational studies.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Oh? Do you have any links? Not in a snarky, prove it way -- I'm really interested and searching on my own I haven't come across any.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like too bad a choice for a once-in-awhile cookout. I've had the all-natural beef franks, which were still rather high in fat but acceptable in terms of sodium.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Jennie-O turkey ones for "diet dogs" but as other have said, it really isn't that hard to make room in a day for a "real" one. Johnsonville Brats are 220 calories, mostly from fat. That's over 3 times as many calories as the Jennie-O, but it still is not that much in the grand scheme of things.

ETA - BTW, plucking and gutting chickens is a process. Never sure where you draw the line to say when something is processed. Obviously hot dogs are way over the line, but that makes it no clearer where that line is...
  • bcattoes
    Options

Oh? Do you have any links? Not in a snarky, prove it way -- I'm really interested and searching on my own I haven't come across any.

Well, here is a review of the various studies, both epidemiologic and experimental.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18444144

Why the risk of cancer is increased by consuming processed meat is not known and several theories exist, but the increased risk is there.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Obviously you aren't eating hot dogs all the time & everyone needs to get a craving out of their system especially as your boyfriend is looking to grill. I don't personally eat hot dogs for as long as I can remember, but stumbled across Bistro Sensations - Spinach With Mozzarella Chicken Sausages. Hubby put them on the grill and they were really good. Low in calories-120, fat-5, carbs-2, 3 food points, good source of vitamin A & gluten free (made with chicken, cheese, spinache & onions). The sodium was a bit high at 470 as with anything processed.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your bbq weekend and fill up on lots of healthy fruits & veggies & sides & then get back to it! :smile:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

ANYTHING over an open fire is Delicious! :-)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Well, here is a review of the various studies, both epidemiologic and experimental.

Why the risk of cancer is increased by consuming processed meat is not known and several theories exist, but the increased risk is there.
    Thank you. :) I knew about this one but again it doesn't prove cause and effect at all -- it can't. It can't even determine for sure that it's processed meats causing the increased risk, it could be something completely unrelated that they haven't even thought of.

"Processed meat intake may be involved in the etiology of colorectal cancer, a major cause of death in affluent countries. The epidemiologic studies published to date conclude that the excess risk in the highest category of processed meat-eaters is comprised between 20% and 50% compared with non-eaters."
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    LOL yeeeah. Check the sodium level in that 'hot dog'. You'd be better served slicing up a chicken breast into strips and loading that into a bun... hold the bun. :blushing:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Thank you. :) I knew about this one but again it doesn't prove cause and effect at all -- it can't. It can't even determine for sure that it's processed meats causing the increased risk, it could be something completely unrelated that they haven't even thought of.

"Processed meat intake may be involved in the etiology of colorectal cancer, a major cause of death in affluent countries. The epidemiologic studies published to date conclude that the excess risk in the highest category of processed meat-eaters is comprised between 20% and 50% compared with non-eaters."

Don't have time to search for more studies now. Data is data. Eat the processed meats if you want.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If I eat them, I eat Hebrew National low fat. Really good, even though there is tons of sodium!