Lunch ideas, anyone?

Hughes39
Hughes39 Posts: 169
edited September 21 in Recipes
I have A LOT of things I need to change around here and our meals are one of them! We are so used to eating pre-made/pre packaged food that I don't even know what a REAL meal is anymore. Well I have a few things that I do actually cook myself but not much! And It seems that dinners are easier to come across then lunches. SOOOO....What are some YUMMY, and kid friendly (I have two kids) lunch ideas?

Replies

• If dinners are easy - maybe you can make extra and plan it for reruns. I have found that anything they get to help with tastes better too.
  • Natalie511
    Natalie511 Posts: 75 Member
    I make Taco's one night and the with the leftover meat and veg I make Chili the next night...it makes so much that you can portion it out and have it for lunches the next day....I use the crockpot allot...there is a thread on here that has tons of easy crockpot recipes that are great for loosing weight...with having kids and everything else going on making a dish and walking away is fantastic way to get homemade meals without much effort...
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Soup, salads, sandwiches, pasta are all good ideas.
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Try using whole wheat bread or pitas for sandwiches. It took a while for mine to get used to it. Peanut butter is a great source of protein. Add some fruits, veggies with Ranch dip (mine will eat anything if they can dip it in Ranch), and yogurts. When they were still at home, some days we made homemade smoothies. Try homemade pasta salad, salad, or a baked potato, too. I also do leftovers for me and my hubby. It keeps things from getting too boring.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    I guess it really depends on if you want a warm or cold meal for lunch.
    When I grew up we had a warm lunch but a cold dinner (meaning (german) bread, cheeses and deli)...... Personally, I think that was great and 2 warm meals is just too much.

Cold lunches could be sandwiches, salads, pasta salad, wraps, pita.

If you eat a warm lunch, additionally to the warm dinner, then I think lunch should be something small, such as soup (there are so many soups you can home make from chicken soup to tomato basil), self made mini pizzas with fresh veggies (just be careful on the cheese and pick a good crust that is not too high in calories), baked sweet potato, small bowl of home made (turkey) chili, etc.

Good luck :)
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    I found Thomas Bagel Thins at the store the other day...could make a fun PB&J for the kids on one of those, or a turkey or ham sandwich or fresh fruit and greek yogurt for something different.
    Get whole wheat tortillas and low fat cheese, make quesadillas with fresh veggie salsa (mild for the little ones if they'll eat it).
    Multi grain sandwich Thins are only 100 calories and make a great base for a home made pizza (toast them first so they don't get soggy).

A great way to get your kids to try new things is to have them help you put them together! If they can help make it, they'll be more likely to try it!
This discussion has been closed.