Your weight X 15 = maintance?

Options
Anyone have any luck with this math and deducting 200-300 calories a day? It just seems like so much food!

Replies

• LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My weight x 15 works out to be about where my TDEE is daily so seems about right to me. Eating 200-300 below it would be a 10-15% deficit which again seems right. Visit the Eat More to Lose Weight discussion forum for lots of info about TDEE and deficits.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My weight times 15 is way more calories than I eat in a day. If I eat over my daily calories a few times a week, even if barely over by 100, the scale will not budge and sometimes even goes up. And my daily calories right now are less than my weight x 6 right now.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Math works about right for me!

P.S. Without the deficit. Just weight x 1900 is pretty much it.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    My weight x 15 = TDEE + 1000 calories.... That's way off for me.

ETA: I have about 50-60 lbs to lose.
  • jessicarthibodeau
    jessicarthibodeau Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I should mention that I have about 60 lbs to lose. Anyone use it with a lot of weight to lose?
  • jessicarthibodeau
    jessicarthibodeau Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    And I'm guessing I shouldn't eat back my exercise calories if I do this math right?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    That's pretty accurate for my TDEE as well. Interesting.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So if you are at Maintenance.
    Do I deduct 200 calories off, as I am now at 1200 calories.

I have 1 pound to go, so how do I figure this in?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Typically those formulas work well if you have a relatively low bf%. I've seen the suggestion of 12-13 if you have a lot of weight to lose. Personally, 12 is closer to my TDEE. And keep in mind that it's a generic formula that completely does not take exercise into account. I think it's easier to go through and calculate TDEE (use several different calculators and maybe average the ones that are semi close). Well, maybe not easier, but might cause less heartache since it's not as much of a stab in the dark...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    My weight x 15 is massively over my TDEE!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Was spot on for me at maintenance.
  • georgann1114
    georgann1114 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use this site to figure mine out. Seems to work perfectly for me so far. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine actually works out pretty close..... For maintenance
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's about right for me, but I highly doubt it'll be about right for everyone. Someone already mentioned body fat percentage. If you have a higher body fat percentage you will burn fewer calories at the same weight.

Also, there's no accounting for activity. I do weights but not cardio, and this gives me a number close to my maintenance calories. However if I started doing cardio as well my maintenance calories would go up.

So all in all, not a good method.

Use a decent calorie calculator that is based on Katch McArdle or Harris Benedict, and includes an activity factor adjustment.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It only sort of works if you are at something close to your ideal weight. You don't need to feed fat so if you are overweight it's giving you too many calories. Better to use a BMR or TDEE calculator.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My weight x 15 is about 200 more than my TDEE (by eating at maintenance rather than a calculator). So a 200 deficit from that would not result in weight loss for me.

But I'm older so that might change the rules.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was weight times 10 = what you should eat to lose.

That sounds about right.

OP, are you sure it's not your goal weight x 15?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's under for me, but I have relatively low BF.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My goal weight x 15 is perfect for what I've estimated my maintenance will be when I get there. However, current weight x 15 is quite a bit higher than my current TDEE.

Current weight x 10 is a bit higher than my BMR but not quite to TDEE so I can see it as a point someone would use to lose.