Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Hi,

I have been trying to lose weight and get fit now for a couple of months now. Gradually losing the weight through exercise and watching my diet. I have been looking at the meal replacement shakes (mix yourself powdered mix). Just wondered what your opinions are on these, good or a bad thing?? You hear very differing opinions on them.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Linds

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes won't do anything extra that eating well and exercising will do. They simply control your calories, nothing else.

Control your calories with real food that you can get for cheaper and much better quality. Don't drink meals.

Meal replacement diets teach you nothing about healthy eating, weight loss, and keeping the weight loss after you stop drinking the shakes. Don't waste your money. Spend the money on fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc instead.
  • lindsbarry77
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, was sorta my thinking anyway just wanted a second opinion.:smile:
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I would never eat all the fuits/veggies, etc...that's in my meal replacement shake so for me, I either don't drink it and have poor nutrition or drink it and get what I need. So if you like to eat lots of different foods everyday and can spare the calories and grocery bill, go for it!

Always do what works for you and don't let others sway you into doing what hasn't worked. Good luck with whatever you decide works for you! Common goal is that we are all healthy and lose weight!
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    I would never eat all the fuits/veggies, etc...that's in my meal replacement shake so for me, I either don't drink it and have poor nutrition or drink it and get what I need. So if you like to eat lots of different foods everyday and can spare the calories and grocery bill, go for it!

Always do what works for you and don't let others sway you into doing what hasn't worked. Good luck with whatever you decide works for you! Common goal is that we are all healthy and lose weight!

You don't actually need a lot of food to get a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Small portions of fruits and veggies have more than the RDA of various vitamins and minerals. My grocery bill is quite low (lower than it was when I was buying vitamins and prepackaged foods) and I get the vitamins and minerals I need (minus B 12 on odd days but even that I tend to get more than the RDA for). I have my levels tested often and have never had low levels. My grocery bill would be much higher than it is now if I were to buy meal replacement shakes.

Drinking a shake to get some more nutrients is one thing... but drinking one thinking it will lead to more weight loss is another. Shakes don't lead to more weight loss when calories are equal to actual food intake... that's what I pointed out to the OP.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily and exercise and couldn't lose weight so tried a meal replacement protein shake the results have been amazing I still eat well I use them as snacks after exercise or for times when I don't have time for breakfast, I still eat I still exercise the weight is melting away., once I reach my goal I will be on maintain rather than loss programme and will not use them then, for me it's a boost to get where I want to get, the best thing is do your research and trial and error
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

You don't actually need a lot of food to get a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Small portions of fruits and veggies have more than the RDA of various vitamins and minerals. My grocery bill is quite low (lower than it was when I was buying vitamins and prepackaged foods) and I get the vitamins and minerals I need (minus B 12 on odd days but even that I tend to get more than the RDA for). I have my levels tested often and have never had low levels. My grocery bill would be much higher than it is now if I were to buy meal replacement shakes.

Drinking a shake to get some more nutrients is one thing... but drinking one thinking it will lead to more weight loss is another. Shakes don't lead to more weight loss when calories are equal to actual food intake... that's what I pointed out to the OP.

That's good that you do what works for you. :) The expense is a non-issue for me. My time is worth more than buying and preparing food.
  • thisismeraw
    Options

That's good that you do what works for you. :) The expense is a non-issue for me. My time is worth more than buying and preparing food.

If that's how you look at it and that works for you than great.

I just personally would prefer to make my own food as it's not as time consuming as most think and it's much healthier, much cheaper and much better tasting.., and I personally find better uses for money than a powder... but it all comes down to what each person prefers and everyone needs to do what's best for them.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i like them. i like the atkins ones b/c they have low sugars. they are easy for me when i'm on the run in the middle of the day and can't make a meal. also good high protein (some have 20 protein) for after a work-out when i'm driving home from the gym.
  • gonzal15
    gonzal15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 15 lbs drinking meal replacements. I kept the weight off. After a month and a half I hit a plateua and stopped losing weight. So I changed my excersice regimen and nutrition. Ive lost more weight. Meal shakes aren not for everyone though. I bought the great value brand from walmart, strawberry, chocolate and vanilla.
  • p00ki3nb00
    p00ki3nb00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I mainly use a meal replacement shake for my breakfast, I never have time to sit and eat or make it, its quick and easy to have a shake. Then snack on a yogurt after.