Owner Of A Nasty L5-S1 Hernation And A Positive Attitude

Options
Becca1637
Becca1637 Posts: 38 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP. A girlfriend had me read an arrticle about using my TDEE along with MFP to lose weight. I joined because I am not as active as I used to be thanks to my L5-S1 herniation. The last few months it has gotten progressively worse but I try to work through the pain. While I can't walk 6 miles a day like I used to, I am hoping this process will help me learn how to make better food choices for my needs until I can get back to working out again. I am not the type of person to just sit and be miserable so I would like to meet other positive people with similar issues they are dealing with to motivate each other.

Becca

Replies

• ubattitude
    ubattitude Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know from experience how hard it is to stay positive with a bad back. Last year I was walking anywhere between 2-5 miles a day. I even managed to hobble 10 miles in the Chicago Marathon last October. I can't walk more than 5 minutes without my left foot falling asleep now. I work with a trainer once a week now, trying to build up my lopsided muscles and I can do some cardio dvds without too much problems during them. It's the after part that ends up getting me. I expect this weight loss journey to be slightly frustrating this time around, but it's all good, as long as I get to fit a few iced coffees in my day, I can deal with just about anything! Feel free to friend me if you want support from someone who is in the same boat.
  • schenzy
    schenzy Posts: 19
    Options
    Friend Request Sent! Feel free to add me as well for support/encouragement. I have been hurting so bad before from a similar back problem that eventually got so bad I thought I was going to have to be wheeled off by paramedics. I remember thinking all I wanted to do was just make it though the day. I know what you are going through is not easy and it is hard to understand that amount of pain until you have been there. Surgery has corrected the main problem for the most part. I did regain feeling back in my feet after the surgery. I will always be trying to make sure exercises are low impact, I am not lifting anything heavy, or twisting and turning the wrong way. My one disc was not the only problem, so I am always afraid of Reinjury. Staying healthy is the best thing I can do for myself in the long run. If you can make it through what you are going through right now, you can make it through just about anything!
  • Becca1637
    Becca1637 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I can use all the support I can get. I went to California for a week's vacation and got some exercise in with all the hills there and we even walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. I was able to stay under my calories the entire trip so I was very proud of myself.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was rolling along just fine or 6 months fon MFP and working out. Literally one morning I woke up with an L5 herniated disc. After taking steroids I just had to do some PT and the pain is gone. My left leg is about 70% as strong as the right and my foot feels "floppy" when I walk. Currently trying isolation exercises to beat this myself. I am sorry to hear that you are still in pain. This mishap did take an emotional toll because I stopped working out for 3 months. I recently got back to it. If you need a friend just add me.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm all for new friends. I may not have a herniated disk but my L5 has been broken for at least 5 years (found out last month). I take a pain pill everyday to function but I walk 3 days a week, run 3 days a week, and do a work out video for ab strength 6 days a week. We can do anything as long as we have a positive attitude and determination to get things done. I plan to run my first 5 K in august.