OVER 60 AND CAN'T LOOSE A POUND!!!!!

Options
I never had a problem loosing a few pounds until I hit 60 -- now it seems impossible. I get so frustrated that I just give up.
Are any of you ladies experiencing the same problem and any suggestions?:cry:

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. Losing weight at our age is difficult. I am 56 and have been struggling ever since menopause. Since June of this year, however, I have been really determined and have managed to lose 21 pounds so far - about 4 since joining this website 2 weeks ago. Please add me as a friend and we can provide support/encouragement/advice for each other. Logging your caloric intake, exercise, and making decisions on the outcomes will help.

Vickie
  • msampred2
    Options
    I am not in your age group, but I did get a piece of advice from a nutritionist that told me if you eat something really hot or really cold then it helps a little with weight loss as well b/c your body has to adjust to keep your body temperature stable and as a result of it working you are burning calories...Hot tea or soup and ice in the water she said would make a huge difference...I don't know if it is true, but I am going to give it a try today.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm a little younger but when I got close to 40 it was the same thing - couldnt seem to get weight off with dynamite. I was VERY discouraged. It took a lot of guts, but I finally just kept at it out of sheer stubbornness this time. After about 5 months I finally started losing. As we get older it just takes longer, and you have to get the mindset you need in order to deal with that. Hang in there!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The older we get, the more our metabolism slows down. Add in some strength training during the week to build some muscle tone. And you may need to eat more often/more calories. You can do this!!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I understand your frustration. I'm part of a topic with a lot of women that are 50+ I've put the link to that topic below. You can add me as a friend and I will encourage you too. I'm going to be 56 next week and this has been a life changing journey for me this year, There are also women on that link that have lost 50 - 100 lbs...,lots of encouragement there.

Don't give up!:smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114320-women-ages-50-for-august
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I just found an interesting article about how aging affects metabolism. It's very interesting!

http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100119089
  • txflowergirl
    Options
    I am 50+ and I hear ya. Don't give up! It takes a little longer but it can happen!
  • missjo113
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm a little younger as well (52) and I've never really had a problem loosing weight before. In 2000 I managed to loose 40 lbs. It took about 6 months to loose it all and I did really well at maintaining until about 2 years ago. Menopause started to hit and I gained back 15 lbs before I thought I'd better getit under control again. So in January I started and I lost 5 lbs by June. Now I just keep gaining and loosing the same 2 lbs. I log all of my food and I exercise... I walk/run on the treadmill for 60 minutes every day except Tuesdays and Thursdays when I do zumba and pilates reformer. Both are great! zumba is super cardio and the reformer is great strength training.

I've heard that once menopause has finidhed doing it's thing, your body kind of gets back to 'normal' and the weight will start to come off again. So until then, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing... at least I'm kind of maintaining.
  • ppennington
    Options
    I'm 63 and lost 6 lbs the first two weeks on this site. I think what made the difference for me was not so much watching the calories but the fact that I started really drinking the water and drastically cut my sodium intake. I did this because I have high blood pressure and I've noticed that in the last few months my feet and ankles have been swelling so much. I have excersized some but not that much so, for me, I think the key was the water and much less sodium. I started a group called the Silver Slim Club and we would love for you to join us. Good Luck!
  • pcw52
    pcw52 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can relate and will share the stuff just what seems to help me. I. No lecture here just a few things that seem to be helping me. Note I have several injuries and not very good health. I started walking at a slow pace with some days for only 5 minutes. I have to drink the water so far I have made 8 glasses maybe 2 times in 20 days . Most days I drink 5 or 6. Water is a key component to this. Colas are my weakness and Friday I slipped and drank 2 cans 78 grams of sugar and the daily allowance is 25. If you cut down on sugar, as I understand it ,your body will use stored up. Fructose syrup is in everything. Portion size is very important. You have heard all this all before. It is one day at a time. Make little goals. You want to lose 50 by Thanksgiving break that down into small goals like let us try walking around a big box store for 30 minutes or drinking 3 bottles of water a day for a week. Stuff like that. You will find encouragement here and we know you can do it. My first week was to concentrate on walking since I had not done any in 1 and 1/2 years and very little in seven. When I walked 7 days in a row, I had a success. Mind games to encourage myself. It might help. I thought it would be better than feeling defeated by not making my goals. You can do this. People on here will encourage you. Let me say that I have had asthma all my life and when I have a spell, I might only walk to the mail box . I work up to a mile and have an attack and back to ground zero. Small goals are encouraging to me.
  • cloudy68
    cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about the Silver Slim Club and how do I join???????????????????????????????
  • trishkinna
    Options
    Did you ever find the Silver Slm Club or a group for Over 60's?