Hypothyroidism -- Anybody Fix It with Diet/Lifestyle Chgs?

Options
TinaDay1114
TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
I've had hypothyroidism for about 3 years, and have been on Synthroid for all of that time. But another one of my levels dipped recently, and they put me on an additional drug (Cytomel) in addition to Synthroid -- so now I'm on that roller coaster of figuring out what's working and what's not, and right now, things are NOT. :grumble: :grumble:

With all that, I've been reading a lot of stuff about the thyroid lately (again). And because I have friends and family who also have thyroid issues, celiac disease, and other autoimmune disorders (all women, by the way), I've been reading about how all of these things can be linked to inflammation in the gut, dietary deficiencies, etc.

Has anyone out there successfully mended their thyroid with a change in diet, lifestyle, other...? I know that diabetes can be reversed sometimes by these changes, and even though the internet has claims that this can be done with thyroids, I have yet to hear it from "the horse's mouth."

I'd LOVE to be able to fix this issue (or at least make it a lot better) by improving on my already healthy lifestyle journey. Any advice (especially personal experiences) welcome!

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    Options
    Anybody? *crickets*
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago. The doctor told me that if I started the medication, I would have to be on it forever. I am not willing to be on meds for the rest of my life. I forgot about it for a few years and recently when I started dieting, I looked into what diets would be good for the thyroid.

I discovered fasting, even just twice a week for 24 hrs, is very good for the thyroid. It lowers IGF-1 and stabilizes your blood glucose levels. I've been feeling much better since I started it. I won't get my first blood tests until next week but I'm hopeful.

It's called the 5:2 diet. Basically, it's just fasting twice a week, any days you wish. On those days you can eat up to 500 calories. I don't. On regular days, a 2000 calorie diet is reccommended.
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people would like to be able to do this, but I'm concerned. I "discovered" I had hypothyroidism when my thyroid basically bottomed out and caused my electrolytes to go out of whack. I ended up in the hospital for 6 days and for several of those I didn't know my husband or kids. (the porch light was on but nobody was home!) Since the thyroid hormone works on so many other parts of the body, going without can be dangerous. Perhaps if your thyroid works fairly well there are things you can do to "help" it, but that isn't an option for me. Be careful, consult your physician/endocrinologist, and best wishes!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    A lady in my friends office was diagnosed a year ago, and she swears by raw coconut twice a day, she takes a spoonful and puts it in her tea. This is an article that first turned her onto it: http://www.coconutoilthyroid.com/
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand from my doctor, the thyroid cannot be mended. You can take / eat things that help but nothing that actaully cures it. However, annoying though that is, as lifelong diseases go, I'll take it! Taking 2 tiny tablets a day is something I can be thankful for, it could be a lot worse.
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer in my early 20's. I have been on medication for years since my thyroid gland had to be removed. Your body cannot function without and it is very dangerous to go without. You will see a lot of changes in your body.....skin is lot drier, brittle nails....thinner hair....etc. This is all part of it. If your thyroid is too low...you will see lots more serious symptoms. Your doctor just has to find the right brand and right dose for you. I was on synthroid for years, but I am now on armour thryroid.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, and while I'd love it if it could be managed simply with diet/supplements/lifestyle, I haven't seen anything from a credible source which would convince me that's the case. Nothing that can argue with my lab work, weight gain and handfuls of hair falling out anyway.

It's an autoimmune disease, not just a thyroid issue. While I certainly can help manage the symptoms through the choices I make, in the end, those antibodies are still going to slowly destroy my thyroid. So I eat (mostly) good things, take my vitamin, drink water, move, rest...

...and take my medicine.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is a book by Mary Shomon called the Thyroid Diet Revolution. It's a pretty good book...fairly easy to read....and she claims that you can "fix" your thyroid. I'm still reading that book and still have plenty to learn from it.

Just a couple a months ago I went from being hypothyroid (Ive been hypo for 15 years) to HYPERthyroid and I believe the reason was due to a drastic diet change (I started juicing greens and taking PrimRose oil - which is supposed to aid in thyroid function). Of course, that really screwed things up for me because I had to go completely off my thyroid meds for a few months before I could be tested and go back on my meds (I am once again hypo, but I also stopped taking primrose and juicing greens...just for a little while).

Over the years, all my dr's have told me that I would be taking my thyroid meds for the rest of my life. I don't know if I can fix it or not but I plan on trying. Just make sure you consult your dr before you start though...or what happened to me could happen to you. How did I know I went hyper? My hair started to fall out in clumps....I could go and go and go but my weight loss stalled out for months. When they finally took me off my meds, I gained 20 lbs and had a slew of hypo symptoms (headaches, fatigue, ringing in ears, swelling in face, pain in joints, etc). I will never make such drastic changes without talking to my dr first.

Take a look at that book....you might be able to find something in there that will help you. According to Mary, you can change it. My experience these past few months tells me I can...I just have to find the right combination, but definitely with my dr guidance.

Good luck to you.
  • mrsclifton10
    Options
    im a nurse at an endocrinologist office, and as far as i know there is no diet that can fix hypo/hyperthyroid. levothyroxine is pretty standard treatment for hypothyroidism and yes most patients are on it their entire lives. however symptoms of hypothyroid are weight gain and fatigue.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had Hashimoto's for a year before it was diagnosed, I actually ended up with Myxedema and had to be hospitalized. I was put on Levothyroxine but spent much time researching what could help my health improve. Fast forward to this year and my thyroid level is the best it has been in four years, I believe this is due to huge change in diet. I discovered I am also celiac (research the correlation between hypothyroid/Hasimoto's and gluten) and also milk dairy intolerant.

I changed my diet to a mostly plant based diet (I can still eat eggs) lots of rice, potatoes, fruit, veggies, legumes etc - NO soy and the effects on my health have been dramatic. I can now lose weight, my energy is through the roof and as I said, my thyroid level is the best it has been. From an 8 last year to 0.5 as of a few weeks ago, without any change in medication levels. My Dr will be monitoring my thyroid because she may want to lower my medication (yay!)

It's a rough journey for sure, but I truly believe diet can play a massive part in our energy levels and general well being when dealing with this autoimmune annoyance.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Levothyroxine is a pretty inexpensive drug. It is on most store's bargain generic lists. It would be worth taking it daily, because when your thyroid levels are normal you will have more energy, feel much better, and be more productive. It will also help you lose weight more easily. It is not always a weakness to need a medication, and thyroid is one of the few "simple solution" drugs we have out there. Your body is low on thyroid, and the medicine replaces it. Problem solved. If you are looking for a more natural source for your drug, ask about armour thyroid. Instead of being synthesized in a laboratory, it is harvested from pigs. I am a pharmacist and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the drug.
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    I want to thank all of you that have responded with your advice, your experiences, and your knowledge! Thanks for taking that time.

You are all correct -- I don't wanna do anything without a doctor following me. I am not going to stop taking meds and just rely on diet, since I'm already too aware of how I feel when things are out of whack, and it's not good. I trust the naturopath I see now, and she's very open, so I promise I won't dismiss her.

That said, I am interested in all the links between autoimmune responses, food intolerances, and diet in this issue, so I've got a lot to look into a read about just from you guys! I also have another doctor that I met recently who is an Endocrinologist, but is going into private practice to treat women that have chronic issues using her medical skills AND her knowledge of nutrition, diet, and other holistic options to try to turn things around. I may also consult her to see what she says, even though she is not covered by any insurance plans (because I guess it's considered "holistic" and not "medical." Go figure.)

Keep it coming if you have anything else, guys! I'm all ears. THANKS AGAIN!!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my sister in law tried to fix her mother's thyroid with diet and herbs. Mom ended up in the hospital, pretty damn sick. Personally, I'd go with what the endocrinologist says. He's had many years of training to treat this disease.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My TSH went from 7+ to 2.1 I juice greens and a lot of ginger and I do not eat wheat anymore. My actual thyroid is healthy my endo said the problem was pituitary in nature (pituitary wasn't properly regulating the thyroid) I thought it was strange that I suddenly have normal thyroid function, I didn't realize that inflammation could adversely affect the thyroid. Previously my body was so severely inflamed I suffered from frequent reflux and severe joint pain. Since adding more anti-inflammatory foods and getting rid of wheat, I haven't had any reflux and very minimal joint pain. Did my diet change cure my thyroid issues? I can't say for sure, could be just a coincidence.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I had very serious hyperthyroidism when I was 13 years old and had to have my thyroid removed. I've been on Synthroid ever sense. I have become very good at detecting when my levels are low based purely on how much energy I have. Anytime I assumed my levels were low, they were!

However, I'm somewhat of a medical anomaly, since I'm taking 250 micrograms at 155 lb. This dose is usually reserved for someone much heavier than myself! For some reason, as I've lost weight (60 pounds) I have needed to up my medication instead of down it, even though it's a weight dependent drug.

But I digress...the point I'm trying to make is, TAKE YOUR MEDS. I honestly went through a "mourning" period when I was 19ish because it really hit me that I was dependent on medication. If I do not take my medication, I WILL DIE eventually. It was kind of a hard thing to come to terms with. I had some very silly thoughts (I was seriously upset that I would never be able to live through an apocalyptic situation if one ever happened!) However, I finally accepted it. I figure, we only have a short while on this plane of existence anyway, and I need to enjoy it instead of being bitter that I have to take medication to keep myself healthy. There are people who have it so much worse than I do, and I am thankful everyday that I am healthy for the most part. Though it can be inconvenient to monitor my levels, and it may make my fitness goals harder to reach, it will not stop me.

I hope my story can help you out as well!
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes! I took no drugs. I supplemented my diet with kelp (iodine) tablets. Good clean diet, with minimal sweet/cakes and stuff. Plenty of hard training. I have no more symptoms, no cold shakes, the strength has come back to my hair (it was awful)
    I sleep fantastically at night. I'm taking a super multi-vitamin bio-available drink and I no longer have to nap after work! On the go all day.

It is 110% possible to fix it with a good diet, exercise and no drugs.

Under-active thyroid is essentially an auto-immune disease. The body is stopping the thyroid from working. I cut out dairy and wheat as I was intolerant to them, I'm convinced that has had a huge impact on the symptoms!

Good luck with it
  • OdetteMaria
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you (I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroid) & Thyroid cancer and out of nowhere in all my years, I suddenly have an inflamed gut.

No idea why - same diet as I've had all my life. But out of nowhere gained weight in that one area and can't suck in the belly no matter how hard I try...
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for 13 years.

After I lost 85 lbs I decided to just stop the meds because I had ran out (bad me, as a nurse I should know better). I finally went in and told the doctor what I had done and he made me go for bloodwork. My levels were SOOO out of whack and it took some time to get everything back in order.

So for me, no... a thyroid problem appears to be something I will deal with forever.