Hear rate monitor watch??

Options
I'm thinking about getting a hear rate monitor? (So far I've just been using my apps to count calories burned) I really don't want to mess with the chest strap though. Does anyone have experience with the hear rate monitor watches and if so which ones were most accurate?

Replies

• krenelynch
    krenelynch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No idea why I left the "t" off heart both times????
  • OwlJane
    OwlJane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it came with a chest strap (which I thought I would hate) but really, it's not bad at all. I don't even notice it's there. Wearing a chest strap is the most accurate way to get your HR, at least, that's what I was told by my trainer.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    A chest strap is no more onerous than a bra strap.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a hear rate monitor? (So far I've just been using my apps to count calories burned) I really don't want to mess with the chest strap though. Does anyone have experience with the hear rate monitor watches and if so which ones were most accurate?

The watches on their own are not accurate, the chest-strap is the bit that has the receiver attached to it and this picks up the heartrate and passes the info to the watch and stores it.

The strap is barely noticeable when wearing it, seriously.

If accuracy is your aim, you really will need have an HRM with a strap.
  • __Di__
    Options

The watches on their own are not accurate, the chest-strap is the bit that has the receiver attached to it and this picks up the heartrate and passes the info to the watch and stores it.

I agree with this. I did some research before I purchased mine. I use the Polar FT4, and I love it! You can get it online for under $70.

That's the HRM I have, great little gadget isn't it!!! :D
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I was researching HRM before getting mine I read that just watch is not accurate, it often loses the pulse, so you can't rely on it. I finally bought Polar FT4F (which is a female version of FT4, meaning the watch is a little smaller). It has a chest strap, but it's really comfy and I never had issues with it. The only time when I could feel the chest strap was when doing "supermans" - laying on the floor, stomach down, lifting arms and legs up, and that was only because I could feel the transmitter when laying down.
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One more thing, I'm not sure what's your bra strap size, but you're a tiny person so I'll warn you just in case ;) If you're less than 32, the band that comes with Polar FT4F may be too large. I'm 32 and I have my HRM chest strap as tight as possible.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I did some research before I purchased mine. I use the Polar FT4, and I love it! You can get it online for under $70.

I've got the same one! I don't think it's innaccurate at all - I find that the calories it says I burn is only off by about 20/30 from what MFP says I burn. I trust the HRM! I also bought a connector so that my workouts sync on their website. It tells me how many calories I burned for the month and how much time I spent exercising. The website also gives you ideas for workouts depending on what your goals are (i.e. running, swimming, biking, etc). The only thing that bothers about the chest straps is my skin - it's REALLY sensitive and the strap + sweat makes me breakout sometimes. But that's my personal weirdness :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You really want the chest strap - trust us! I went watch only at first - it was on clearance, seemed like a good deal. Total pain in the butt - you have to pause your workout to touch the face of the watch and get a heart rate reading. Then it goes off whatever your heart rate is at that moment, until you take the next reading. More readings, more accuracy, and more pauses in your workout. Add all the times it doesn't read right away, causing longer pauses, etc.

I finally got myself a chest strap model (New Balance N4 - got a new on on eBay for about what I paid for the first watch) - so much better! Push start and go - more accurate as your heart is monitored the whole time and you don't even have to think about it. I found that the watch only model was waaaaay over-estimating my burns.

The chest strap sits right under the elastic band of my sports bra - don't even know it's there. I've been using it for over two years now and can't imagine working out without it!
  • __Di__
    Options

It sure is! And mine is pink...bonus! Ha! Worth every penny!

LOL nice one! My one is that bronze colour, but I loved the thing so much, that I bought the pink one for one of my daughters for her birthday.

You know, I just can't praise it enough :laugh:
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Are you just wanting it for calorie counting? If so, you may be better off with something like a bodymedia fit armband. The Link version interfaces with an app on your phone. It does nothing for monitoring heart rate, of course, but it does do a good job in just keeping track of high activity and calorie burn. I found it to be better for me than a heart rate monitor.

If you really want a heart rate monitor, I've never heard of anyone being dissatisfied with the Polar brands.
  • flossybach
    flossybach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and have found it pretty accurate, and it also shows when you are in fat burn or fitness level. The calorie burn is what I have used for MFP. I found the calorie burn on MFP to be a bit excessive.
    I used the FT7 in the pool, and for tough mudder last year (under a sock) and it was brilliant in telling me how much we burnt.
    Would def recommend it has been the key for me to get fit over the past 2years.
  • Thomasw324
    Thomasw324 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is my first post and I'm bumping a very old thread... Sorry! I have a few quick questions:

1. I walk a decent amount to work (walk to train and then from train to building 1/2 hour later). I would love to get those calories counted because I'm walking for about 40 minutes a day. Could I wear the chest strap all day? Would it work over multiple legs of a trip?

2. I plan on wearing the chest strap while playing lacrosse. Will this be intrusive? How sturdy is it? There is a chance I could be hitting/getting hit on the strap.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1. I walk a decent amount to work (walk to train and then from train to building 1/2 hour later). I would love to get those calories counted because I'm walking for about 40 minutes a day. Could I wear the chest strap all day? Would it work over multiple legs of a trip?

Get something like a Fit Bit. Don't wear a HRM just for walking around. It's not going to be accurate for that sort of thing. The activity monitors are better suited for all day activity.
    2. I plan on wearing the chest strap while playing lacrosse. Will this be intrusive? How sturdy is it? There is a chance I could be hitting/getting hit on the strap.

They're not going to get in your way unless someone hits the actual monitor on the strap. They just snap on and would pop off fairly easy if you hit it. from the side.
  • Thomasw324
    Thomasw324 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get something like a Fit Bit. Don't wear a HRM just for walking around. It's not going to be accurate for that sort of thing. The activity monitors are better suited for all day activity.

So would a fitbit be appropriate for measuring calories during an aerobics class also?
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The only real Heart Rate Monitors are chest straps. I did see one the other day that is for the upper arm, but I am not sure how well it works. You can buy a HRM and use a phone app to collect the data, or you can buy an activity monitor (watch or wrist band) which will also sync with the chest strap. I have the Polar Loop wrist band which is basically a pedometer, and the Polar H7 chest strap. I use the pedometer to judge how active I am in the regular course of a day, and I wear the chest strap during cardio workouts. The only exercise I log on MFP is the data that is collected on the chest strap HRM. The Polar Loop and H7 chest strap sync nicely and Polar has a nice online app that keeps statistical data for you.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My question is

How well do chest straps work when they don't actually touch the skin on the chest? I have a very hairy friend and he is looking for a watch heart rate monitor.

I had hoped I would get some input reading through this thread but everyone is saying to use a chest strap.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A chest strap is no more onerous than a bra strap.

This!^ Just wear the strap under your bra.

Wrist only models don't measure your heart rate constantly, chest straps do. You typically have to be standing still to take your pulse with a wrist model. Too much arm movement can throw things off as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So would a fitbit be appropriate for measuring calories during an aerobics class also?

Not so much. A FitBit doesn't have any way to measure your pulse. A FitBit measures activity (steps)....if your exercise is step related.....walking, jogging, then it's not terrible.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin with a chest strap, and like the other posters said, you don't even know it's there. I put it right under my sports bra and forget about it. The watch is a little big and bulky, but I suck it up. I've noticed that MFP grossly exagerates the calories burned, so I'm glad I have my HRM.