My diet/exercise philosophy

Options
Not long after I joined MFP, someone suggested that if I ate too much for a meal, I could just go for a walk to burn it off.

Yeah, right. I'm a mom of 3 kids who are home all day. Not happening, especially here in the Northwest where summer is pretty much the only time of year when one can expect to be able to go out when one wants. It rains a lot here.

I love food. So I exercise so that I can eat more. I do not exercise because I ate more. There have been days where eating extra gave me extra energy so I added an extra cardio workout at the end of the day. But I did it because I felt like exercising, not because I was guilty about what I ate. Most days when I eat over my goal, I just shrug and move on. I do, however, prize the extra calories I get to eat when I exercise. Though lately I have been only posting net calories burned (that is, estimated actual calories burned minus what I would have burned if I hadn't exercised).

Anyhow, if we were allowed to have signatures, I would put this in my sig:

I exercise to eat more, not because I ate more.

What do you all think?

Replies

• catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree.

And I record 'net' calories burned also; assuming I burn about 80 cal/hour (or 1.3 cal/min) doing absolutely nothing.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I exercise because I like it.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I definitely exersize so I can eat more and many of my runner friends feel the same as well.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I exercise because I like it too. Actually, I guess that is my #1 reason to exercise, and the #2 is so I can eat more. My point was that I don't exercise because I ate more.

I got sick this week and couldn't exercise. I'm better today but not going to push myself. I did some stretches, though, and it felt so good to just put on exercise clothes and move, even if it was simply a short warm-up to loosen the muscles before I stretched them! Can't wait until I can hop on a bike or go do some more push ups! But I think today is too soon. :tongue: