Caught a cold

Options
jsecret
jsecret Posts: 606 Member
So Ive been doing well on my calories and losing weight the past couple weeks. Today I am feeling crappy due to catching a cold. So my question is does your body need more calories when you are sick?

Replies

• hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you need extra calories, but I do know that you should drink more liquids when you are ill. Also, feel free to exercise gently if you have the energy, but don't exercise if you have a fever.
    I just got over a cold this week and two of the days I went over my calories; I think I was trying to comfort myself, but maybe my body needed the extra calories because I still lost a pound!
    Speedy healing:flowerforyou:
  • Utahbeth
    Utahbeth Posts: 68
    Options
    Gosh, I hope so! My daughter caught a sniffle last week (her first cold @ 11 mos old), and now I think I have it. I usually comfort myself with food when I don't feel well either, and the urge is strong today. I'm going to make some of my Grandmothers chicken noodle soup, and try to stay within 200-300 of my calorie goal. Ugh.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think the lack of rest makes you feel as if you need the calories...if you need comfort try warm homemade soups low sodium and plenty of water ...
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree... I was sick this week, and found myself turning to food. I'm not sure what is specifically needed by your body for healing (as far as more calories goes, I guess it would depend on the illness), but I know that when my throat is sore like it was, a salad just does NOT sound as good as, say, ice cream. I also found myself eating a ton more carbs--don't know if that was comfort or my body needing some more energy. I was pretty tired and wiped out though.

So I was actually wondering this same question all week, so I'd be curious if anyone does know if the body ACTUALLY requires more calories to get over something simple like a cold....
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i upped my vitamin c and zinc and pushed fluids--water, green tea and chicken broth. good luck!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the Cal thing but I can tell you, Don't go chasing after colds, see what happens to you when you catch the thing.

Hope you feel better soon