Diastasis Recti - Separated Abs Question...

Options
Hi everyone, LOOOOOONG time no "see"!

I've been out of the loop quite a while, but after gaining what I lost over the past two months... I'm back IN!

I did have a question, however. Hopefully one of you will be able to help!?

I realize most of us are not doctors and do not have a health degree, but I would imagine at least some of you have what I have and thus might have some information.

That said, I've given birth to full-term babies NINE times and my abdominals are a WRECK!

Standing up, I LITERALLY look at LEAST six months pregnant. It's embarrassing and disgusting. When I am getting dressed or readying for a bath/shower, my reflection is disheartening at best.

I know I'll never be the skinny young woman I once was... BUT I wonder if it's too late to improve!?

If I do abdominal workouts, will I make the abdominal separation worse?

Do I need surgery to rectify this?

Is there something I should be doing while exercising to prevent worsening?

Help!

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, LOOOOOONG time no "see"!

I've been out of the loop quite a while, but after gaining what I lost over the past two months... I'm back IN!

I did have a question, however. Hopefully one of you will be able to help!?

I realize most of us are not doctors and do not have a health degree, but I would imagine at least some of you have what I have and thus might have some information.

That said, I've given birth to full-term babies NINE times and my abdominals are a WRECK!

Standing up, I LITERALLY look at LEAST six months pregnant. It's embarrassing and disgusting. When I am getting dressed or readying for a bath/shower, my reflection is disheartening at best.

I know I'll never be the skinny young woman I once was... BUT I wonder if it's too late to improve!?

If I do abdominal workouts, will I make the abdominal separation worse?

Do I need surgery to rectify this?

Is there something I should be doing while exercising to prevent worsening?

Help!

Carrie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I really dont have an answer for that. From what I have seen on TV surgery shows, once it has separated there is nothing to be done but surgery.

Losing weight will likely help, but I am not sure how much. I have come to the conclusion my stomach will not go back to where it once was.

Welcome back and good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I watch the Drs. on NBC i think it is and there was a gal on there that had the same problem. I have the same issue by the way. I didn't have nine kids however I had two 10lb babies so my skin is well floppy. :laugh: The one plastic surgen(sp) on there said that surgry is really the only way to get it all back. He tighten your musles while they are in there also. You should have seen the skin they were going to take away from that lady. :noway: So I have come to the idea which i haven't talk to my husband about yet :bigsmile: That im going to do my part and loose all my weight and try my best to tone and then maybe he will let me get the surgry. LOL. Money will have to make a big change however. :grumble:

I have also heard that cardio is the best. You can't tone what you don't have. :wink: Hope this helps.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    NO WAYYYYYYYY-- another woman on this site who bore NINE children--

Somebody catch me-- I'm ready to faint.

I'm also a homeschooling mama-- too cool.

From my experience, which is very similar to what you're describing (right down to blood pressure problems post partum-- ) the more I lose, combined with the cardio and ab work, the more my stomach is coming back. I don't think it will ever be flat. It's just poofy. But, it's so much better now than it was when I began this journey back in June.

So, keep working on it-- make sure you get the cardio to burn the fat, combine it with the lower ab "reverse" crunches and all that jazz-- and you will see some results.

To some degree, with my husband's help, I wear my pouch as a badge of honor-- our blessed children came from that belly-- so take that into consideration as well.

God bless--
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I was just getting ready to yell for you, Marla! I see NINE kids & my mind heads your way. LOL

Welcome back, Carrie! Good luck on your fitness journey! :flowerforyou: My props to you as well for having nine wonderful children. Better woman than I!
  • carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have no qualms about having SOME belly. Everyone knows that nine full term pregnancies are going to wreak havoc on tight tummies! :laugh:

(Gotta love those goofy little faces you can use, here! Ha ha! I couldn't resist throwing one in there just now!)

I am just paranoid about making things WORSE.

Plus, things haven't been easy, lately. I have so much "on my plate" that I don't want to "bother" with cardio work and abdominal exercises if they're not going to do anything anyway.

I'm busy, busy, busy... and don't want to put time into wisps of smoke!

Thanks, by the way, for the "welcome back"!

Carrie
  • Marla64
    Options
    Yes, I have no qualms about having SOME belly. Everyone knows that nine full term pregnancies are going to wreak havoc on tight tummies! :laugh:

(Gotta love those goofy little faces you can use, here! Ha ha! I couldn't resist throwing one in there just now!)

I am just paranoid about making things WORSE.

Plus, things haven't been easy, lately. I have so much "on my plate" that I don't want to "bother" with cardio work and abdominal exercises if they're not going to do anything anyway.

I'm busy, busy, busy... and don't want to put time into wisps of smoke!

Thanks, by the way, for the "welcome back"!

Carrie

Oh my-- they're most definitely not wisps of smoke. The fat IS burned in cardio, and your tummy will go down-- not to mention the untold health benefits for your heart and blood pressure. Exercise NEVER returns void. It ALWAYS helps.
  • lilscubagirl
    lilscubagirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So, I've been really looking into a solution to Diastasis Recti...

My husband scheduled a free consultation with a plastic surgeon for me to find out why my stomach sticks out. To no surprise, the plastic surgeon states that, "This is one of the most difficult cases I've seen. I want you to go see a general surgeon and see if you have a hernia." These two sentences sent me on a whirlwind of appointments and false hope. I was thinking, "Great, I have a hernia but once it's removed my stomach will be normal."

I got an appointment with said surgeon and he again states, "I can normally tell if someone has a hernia by feeling around but I can't tell with you." So, I'm difficult - I get it already!! He tells me he wants me to get a CT Scan to see for sure. I got and get the CT Scan - which wasn't too bad but a very memorable experience. I go back to GS for follow up to go over the x-rays to find out that there is NO HERNIA!!! That my abdominal wall is separated and by exercise I can get it to go back "a little". But my only real option is plastic surgery. DEPRESSING!

The one thing the plastic surgeon told me was to lose the weight and then see how truly damaged my abdominals are. Anyways, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but losing weight is never bad and even if you want to get plastic surgery, you have to be your "ideal weight" - so, keep with it and maybe we won't always look pregnant.
  • lilscubagirl
    Options
    One thing IMPORTANT thing I forgot...there are specified exercises to help strengthen your abdominals...

Plank
    Bridge
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio

I found a great website with lots of info to help too...

http://www.befitmom.com/abdominal_seperation.html
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    WOW! I am sooooo glad to hear I am not the only one that looks pregnant. I've had 3 c-sections.
    I used to drink a ton ton of pop. So just the other day I was wondering if I maybe had a bear belly from pop. Sounds like it's the same issue you all are having though :(

BUT there is hope. I know you girls have seen biggest loser. LOOK at those girls. They were huge and with hard work they got their belly's down and had abs. Look at Denise Austin. She's had kids and she worked out her belly.

It takes very hard work but it will go away. Now for having extra skin I'm afraid that don't :cry: Hopefully by the time we lose all our weight we can afford plastic surgery. Maybe try putting away money now.?
    I don't know I have no idea how much it cost.
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    From the website above

Yes, You Can Recover from Abdominal Separation/Diastasis Recti

Unfortunately, flurries of misconception swirl around the issue of abdominal reconditioning—and particularly abdominal separation/diastasis recti—after pregnancy. You’re likely to encounter a broad range of contradictory opinions and advice about how to recondition your abdominal wall and how to restore the midline after childbirth. Some of these assertions can cause unnecessary alarm, while another common piece of advice—do a lot of “crunches”—can actually worsen abdominal separation/diastasis recti.
  • lilscubagirl
    Options
    It's NEVER too late to get healthy, lose weight and feel great! I've spoken with a plastic surgeon about the abdominal separation repair surgery and he said the first step is to get down to your IDEAL weight first, then you can think about plastic surgery.

You have to watch the ab workouts though. Some websites say that "extreme abdominal exercises" can actually worsen the muscle. So, you should do planks, bridges and CARDIO. I know it sucks but I've started training for a half marathon and I've already lost another INCH off my waist.

While working out, you can wear a "girdle" around your torso to assist your abs to "remember" where/how they used to be. Also, if you wear a girdle daily underneath your work clothes, it was train your abdomin to go back in as well BUT the results are NOT OVERNIGHT. You have to wear it faithfully on a daily basis for AWHILE before you see results that way.

-Heather
  • Marla64
    Options
    that's interesting about the girdle-- I always buy superduper strength undies to help keep control, and I haven't been able to afford new ones in ages, and they're all stretched out. My tummy's been worse lately, despite all my exercise-- hmmmmmmm-- curious. Off to Walmart I go on payday!

Thanks for the post.
  • lulubenmom
    Options
    I've been battling diastasis as well. My son is 18 months, I'm 10 pounds from my goal weight of 115 lb. I've seen a plastic surgeon that states only a mini-tummy tuck will fix it. It's not so bad on an empty stomach, but if I eat a big meal it pops out to look 6 months pregnant because they're so separated! My friend thought I was being neurotic until she saw this after Thanksgiving lunch and was suddenly very sympathetic because she knows I've been working out for a year 6 x per week like a maniac. I'll regularly run 5 miles then do more! My waist is down to 27 inches but that pooch is at 31 inches and makes me so mad when I've been working so hard and eating well.

So I'd love to know that I might be able to avoid surgery. Anyone know a success story of definite diastasis repaired without surgery?

BTW cost in NY is about $3,500.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Wow, nine children!? You both have my respect. Pregnancy exactly a walk in the park (which is why I only have- and will- done it twice). My stomach is just destroyed. It's ripply, dimpled, stretch-marked.... and hangs funny because of my last c-section. I'm optimistic I can get it it looking MUCH BETTER through diet and exercise.

I've made a deal with hubby, though: Once I get to my target weight, I will focus on flattening my stomach for one year (after that ponit). If I'm still not showing any improvement, we'll save up for a tummy tuck. :D
  • barb213
    barb213 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a severe D.R., and large vent. hernia, had 3 fullterm kids, C sections, youngest now 8yrs, currently losing my "baby fat" to have surgery, Also since giving birth, I have silent reflux, (causing asthma symptoms), lower back pain, sciatica and stress incontinence. All related per my M.D. to the D.R. So looking forward to having surgery! I look 7-8 months pregnant all the time,
    all my pants are larger due to my stomach. So nice to hear I am not alone!!! For years I thought I was just fat and doing something wrong!!!
  • ssalmonson
    Options
    Hi all,

I just found out that I have diastisis recti following a c-section where I delivered a 10+ lb. baby. I gained 60lbs. with both of my girls and I am only 4'11". I have been working out like crazy doing all sorts of Jillian Michaels, Pilates and cardio along with shakeology and dieting. I have lost weight everywhere and am back to my pre-baby weight but my bulging stomach won't budge. I always thought it looked funny but figured time, dieting and working out would get it back to normal. Come to find out I have an 8 finger wide separation, which is significant

Based on the responses here I would do some researching online. There are some resources out there but not a lot and I haven't had the diagnosis long enough to say what definitely works. The Tupler technique is the only medically researched help out there that is not surgery that is. Everything I have read says it takes 6wks. to a yr. and sometimes it can't be repaired completely. I am currently wearing a splint/binding 24/7 but not in the shower and doing some exercises I found online most of them are vaccuming of the stomach and using a scarf to tighten around your abs to pull them together while exercising. Some of you mentioned doing ab work but the typical crunches, sit-ups, planks and many pilates and typical JM moves will make this separation worse....I wish I knew it has been all that I have been doing!

The one thing someone did share with me is if I have another baby meaning a c-section to talk to the dr. about doing some repairing after the delivery....definitely some incentive to have a third but I'm going to work on the recommended exercises and the splint for the time being limiting my exercise to cardio and isolated arm strength lifts only.

I hope this helps.
  • unexpecting
    Options
    I went to a post-partum Physical Therapist and she showed me how to do tiny half lifts with a sheet wrapped around my waist that I used to pull the muscles closer together. My gap wasn't huge, around 2 fingers and it closed to a half finger in around 5-6 weeks. You see improvement quite quickly doing these exercises and they're super easy -- I'm not saying the fat or puffiness goes away quickly but you can feel the gap closing which means you're eliminating this area across your stomach where the fat "pooches up" more because there's no muscle beneath it.

Google for youtube videos that show you how to do the exercises -- it's not many reps at all (i think I did 15/day, spent less than 5 min each evening) and most of the work is in you pulling a sheet or scarf tightly across your abs. You don't need any special gear or anything and you can start tonight. I stopped doing them a couple months ago and I still have a small gap (I'm 5 months post-partum) and I'm really hoping if I start up again, I can eliminate the half finger gap.

Good luck everyone!
  • efitterp
    efitterp Posts: 30 Member
    Options