Can low FAT calories lead to being hungry...

Options
I have eaten well into my calorie range today, yet am peckish and not really satisfied.

I just had a look and found while I am up with my protein and carbs, my fat count is low(ish) - I have consumed 18 out of a possible 52. I know these are only ranges, but do you think it is possible that I am hungry because of this?

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I imagine the reason you're hungry is because MFP is calculating the calories to lose weight, so you're eating less than what you would need to maintain your current weight.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    no , but if theri are to low can lead to problems. maybe your not making the right food choices like salad popcorn air popped water a light soup theri are dozens of food choice you can make and eat alot of it when your hungry. why don"t i do that my self:angry: im crazy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Fat is what satiates (satisfies) our bodies. Some good fats, like those in avocados, olive oil, nuts, will up your fat, and help you be more satisfied. If you combine low fat with high carbs, and/or insufficient protein, it is a recipe for being hungry.

Better luck tomorrow!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I have eaten well into my calorie range today, yet am peckish and not really satisfied.

I just had a look and found while I am up with my protein and carbs, my fat count is low(ish) - I have consumed 18 out of a possible 52. I know these are only ranges, but do you think it is possible that I am hungry because of this?
    Absolutely!! Definitely a possibility, it's what keeps our bodies satisfied, not all fats are bad fats. Our bodies need fats to keep our machine running smoothly!:flowerforyou:

Edited: ROFL what a funny way of wording my response that was! I hope it came across more clearly to you! I'm dealing with some strange effects from the ads on here (Vimovo and a couple others that move) and it jolts my screen, I'm screwing up my spelling all over the place and my thoughts as well.

Sorry about that..I mean well:blushing: :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Fat is what satiates (satisfies) our bodies. Some good fats, like those in avocados, olive oil, nuts, will up your fat, and help you be more satisfied. If you combine low fat with high carbs, and/or insufficient protein, it is a recipe for being hungry.

Better luck tomorrow!!!
    What she said:drinker:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you need fat but not that much a vary vary small amount its protein that helps with hunger everything that taste good has to much fat a good example is real icecream real cream real salad dressing real mayo fried chicken those ribs i made last night cheese you see my point you have to learn to make things rich to your tast buds its allmost learning a new way to cook
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    you need fat but not that much a vary vary small amount its protein that helps with hunger everything that taste good has to much fat a good example is real icecream real cream real salad dressing real mayo fried chicken those ribs i made last night cheese you see my point you have to learn to make things rich to your tast buds its allmost learning a new way to cook
    Most protein will have fat in it :) I think that's what several of us were referring to, not the junk food full of fat:flowerforyou:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Are you just starting out? If so, I think it's quite normal to be a bit hungry. If you are super hungry then perhaps you might want to start a bit less intense. Ie set your weight loss to 1lb or less per week so you get more calories until your stomach can get used to having less food.

On the fat debate... I personally find that low GI carbs and proteins help keep me full. Research has shown that people feel more satisfied when they have carbs. I think the key to staying full and eating few cals is eating high nutrition foods. Ie fill your calorie count with wholegrain breads and cereals, lean meat, fruit and loads of veg and some low fat dairy. It's amazing how much food you can actually have for quite low calories. If you add in things like cereal bars, small chocolate bars, biscuits etc it will cut the amount of food you get to have. I'm all for having treats but I would always put satiety first.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • fat_forever
    Options

Better luck tomorrow!!!

That is so true. The ideal diet will contain mostly protein and fat, with a low amount of carbs. The more carbs you eat, the more you want to eat. I mentioned this in another thread, but if you lower your carb intake....say under 100 carbs a day, your body will begin to stop craving carbs. Of course, to fill the gap, you need to up your fat and protein consumption. I know that sounds backwards, but it's not.

Today's obesity epidemic can be traced to the high consumption of carbs. If you look at the foods most people eat, you will find that they have a lot of carbs. Of course, the worse culprit is high fructose corn syrup, and most foods contain it.

As a diabetic, I have to keep a close eye on the number of carbs I eat, so I am constantly reading nutrition labels. The sad part is there aren't many foods that I can eat because most of the foods in the grocery store are processed and contain lots of carbs. That's what the public wants....foods that are easy to make, taste good, and don't cost a lot. Food processors are just giving the public what they want.

The next time you are at the grocery store, pretend that you can only eat 100 carbs a day, and see what foods you can buy that will allow you to do that. There aren't that many....I know, I have to do that every week.
  • king6083
    king6083 Posts: 30
    Options
    The most satiating macros are as follows;

Protein
    Fat
    Carbs.

Prioritizing your diet in that order of importance might help keep the munchies in check.

The only real concern about not getting enough fat would be that if you go too low as a percentage (10% or so) the body will make fat through de novo lipogenesis.