Can you lose weight by bicycling?

Options
I was wondering, can you actually lose weight and tone your body by bicycling as your primary source of exercise?

I don't have money right now for a gym membership, neither for my own home treadmill or elliptical.
I have a bicycle and a stationnary bicycle at home that I borrowed from my parents.

Is it do-able to lose weight by cycling?

Replies

• tracyanna
    tracyanna Posts: 20
    Options
    Very do-able. My husband's main exercise currently is biking. He has lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months. He has put on about 350 miles from doing some long rides a couple of times a week.
  • beespen123
    beespen123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40lbs with just cycling as exercise.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    As long as you do it while eating fewer calories, sure.
  • FrenchCanuck
    FrenchCanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wow omg thanks!
    it gives me more confidence knowing other people lost weight with cycling!

MFP put my daily caloric intake at 1200, im having a hard time adjusting but itll work out...
  • drosen32
    drosen32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I bike exclusively for exercise. It allows me to eat more! Oh, I went from 219 to 185 in about five months.
  • FrenchCanuck
    Options
    Are you serious drosen32? Thats so amazing! Congrats!!!

My MFP app said if i continue my calorie intake with the same amount of exercise everyday, I could lose 15 pouds in 5 weeks!
    Thats real good news to me!!

What i like about cycling indoors is that i can watch tv shows, movies and play with my ps3 while exercizing! :)
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Frenchcanuck

I do RPM classes (like spin) which are on a stationary bike. That and walking are a major form of exercise for me.
    I highly recommend cycling. (stationary or outdoors).
    kind regards,

Ben
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been biking for a year. And I've lost about 85 lbs during that time. I've ridden about 2600 miles in 12 months.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I have lost 12lbs this month mainly bicycling and watching my calories :) I just started May 31. It has been an amazing journey so far. Wish you the best of luck!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes. Heck, you can lose weight without any exercise at all, but biking helps my endurance and gives me more room to nom food I like.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I alternate biking and walking because it's FREE and I like to be outdoors before winter returns. Anything that raises your heart rate and gets muscles working is going to help you lose weight.
    Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MFP put my daily caloric intake at 1200, im having a hard time adjusting but itll work out...

Why did it do that???

(Is it because you told it you wanted to lose 2 pounds/week?)
  • FrenchCanuck
    Options
    thank you everyone!

yes, i wrote 2 lbs a week... i changed it to 1 lb a week for 1500 calories. Just 1200 cals a day made me feel woozy and gave me a headache. Ill just have to bike more to burn the difference ! :)
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    Also considering doing short commutes on the bicycle. If you have a basket for a bag/purse it works great. At normal commuter pace it's about 20minutes for 3miles. With a basket it is great for the library, the bank, post office, or just a few things at the grocery store. It's exercise, saves gas money, and better for the environment!

(Sorry I'm a huge fan of biking and hate cars/driving. I'm constantly trying to convert people :p)
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I couldnt afford my car anymore and took to my bike around the end of March its a 6 mile cycle to town so anything I need I hop on and go,its great exercise and like alot of people I cant afford the gym,I put on a backpack for to take a few things I might need,I hadnt been on a bike properly in 20 years! Ive toned up so much I cant believe it! Im managing hills I could just about walk up before! Fet on your bike and take care out there!:flowerforyou:
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I have lost 12lbs this month mainly bicycling and watching my calories :) I just started May 31. It has been an amazing journey so far. Wish you the best of luck!

congrats!! 12 pounds in one month?? amazing!