Help! My salad is dry!

Options
2»

Replies

• Jaja99
    Jaja99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Salsa verde -the green stuff is good. It has 5 cal/tablespoon. Red salsas are good too, but I prefer bruschetta to red salsa. I have seen some commercial dressings that had 0 calories but the ingredients list was not appealing and I have not tried them. If you are having vegetables on your salad, you could try blending some of them in a blender.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Try a splash of apple cider vinegar with some seasonings (pepper, oregano, thyme... whatever you like!). I love my salad like this.
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like homemade salsa or pico de gallo. Not the jarred stuff, I want all the real deal veggies so im getting flavor all in one. And plenty of lime juice too.

Besides that- I use to just eat Red Wine Vinegar on my lettuce at work when i was doing the atkins.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I got used to eating my salad without dressing by putting banana peppers, red onions and green olives in it. I stopped eating cheese in it too. It's really good. (Never thought I'd say that)
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is the best salad in the world, and I've even made it with just the lemon juice and no oil.

http://www.petersommer.com/turkey-travel-country/turkish-food-cuisine/coban-salad/
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You do know that lettuce has carbs right? Try some Mrs Dash spices
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You do know that lettuce has carbs right? Try some Mrs Dash spices
    And pretty much every vegetable out there for that matter. This doctor makes my brain hurt.

Take your non-leafy veggies (zukes, cukes, etc) and load 'em in a pan with some salt, spices, and strong tasting hard liquor of your choice. Cook 'em up, load some oil on, and toss the works onto the rest of your salad. Best served with heaps of tomatoes.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Would apple-cider vinegar be ruled out? If not, it makes a wonderful dressing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I chop carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, onion (or you can do whichever veggies you like) and put them in a tupperware-type dish, add a tbs of white vinegar and a tbs of apple cider vinegar and whatever herbs or spices and let it sit over night. Each day, when I make my salad of greens, I add a cup of my homemade "pickled" veg to it, along with 1/4-1/2 cup non-fat cottage cheese and some 98% fat free turkey. Salsa is also a good option.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle about 1Tbsp each pickled beet juice (I like Aunt Nellie's brand) and lemon juice over my salads, then mix well. It's delicious, no-carb, no-fat, essentially no-calorie.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I'm confused by "0 carbs" in the salad dressing. If the salad is vegetables, the salad itself contains carbs.

How is your body to determine that the carbs came from dressing and not from salad?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    WTF is your Dr. thinking, nobody is that stupid.:smile:
  • pcoster
    pcoster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walden Farm's has the best salad dressings and they taste awesome!! 0 calories, 0 sugar, 0 carbs, 0 fat. And it tastes good. Go figure! They have several different varieties at Wal-Mart.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I got used to eating my salad without dressing by putting banana peppers, red onions and green olives in it. I stopped eating cheese in it too. It's really good. (Never thought I'd say that)

That sounds really good. I think I might try that next time, and the salsa idea also. Sorry op I have no ideas.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Mashed ripe avocado with a little lime juice makes a great dressing. If it's not creamy enough add some plain yogurt. A little salt and pepper and you've got a creamy salad dressing!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate a bit spicy dijon mustard whisked with apple cider vinegar.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt with some fresh herbs of your choice and tatses and a b it of salt and pepper not much. whisk and thin with a bit of water or milk.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just like having a plate of salad with no dressing :) I've had it all my life and I find it delicious :)
    You could try that, I know it sounds boring but when you have it for a while you'll get used to it and start loving it! A lot of people end up treaing carrots lke sweets :)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of using salsa as salad dressing.

Or lemon or lime juice. Freshly squeezed.