HELP- I've plateaued!

Options
Hello friends,

Since October 2012 I have lost 75 lbs. I've gone from a size 22 to a 12 and from 280 lbs to 205 lbs. I was losing weight pretty steadily until January of this year, then I stopped around 240 until the end of March when I drastically changed my lifestyle (started working out and eating mostly vegan). Then I started losing steadily again and lost the next 35. I have now been stuck at 205 for a little over 3 weeks and I'm working harder than ever. I'm at the gym 4-5 days a week and I'm constantly switching up my workouts. I'm eating always just a little less than myfitnesspal suggests and I'm eating all good stuff. What can I do to start losing again? I still have 55 lbs to go to reach my goal weight and I AT LEAST want to be under 200 lbs. When I got to 205 I thought "this is cake! I'm gonna lose those 5 lbs no problem!" and I totally jinxed myself lol.

Any thoughts, tips, advice is greatly needed and MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you could make your diary public, it would be easier to offer advice. :smile:

Congrats on your progress so far! Have you rerun your numbers or changed settings at all since losing the weight, or have you stayed with the same calorie goal since the start? As your body changes with the weight loss and more exercise, your caloric needs change as well.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    While you haven't lost weight have you lost inches? Does your body look more toned?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Also if you could give us your height so we could do some calculations for you. That'd be awesome.

I noticed you said " I'm eating always just a little less than myfitnesspal suggests" ... depending on what your calorie goal is set at, this could be the cause of your plateau.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

Since October 2012 I have lost 75 lbs. I've gone from a size 22 to a 12 and from 280 lbs to 205 lbs. I was losing weight pretty steadily until January of this year, then I stopped around 240 until the end of March when I drastically changed my lifestyle (started working out and eating mostly vegan). Then I started losing steadily again and lost the next 35. I have now been stuck at 205 for a little over 3 weeks and I'm working harder than ever. I'm at the gym 4-5 days a week and I'm constantly switching up my workouts. I'm eating always just a little less than myfitnesspal suggests and I'm eating all good stuff. What can I do to start losing again? I still have 55 lbs to go to reach my goal weight and I AT LEAST want to be under 200 lbs. When I got to 205 I thought "this is cake! I'm gonna lose those 5 lbs no problem!" and I totally jinxed myself lol.

Any thoughts, tips, advice is greatly needed and MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Every time I or my husband have been in a plateau, we eat just 100-200 calories more each day, and the plateau stops, and we started losing weight again. I would suggest that you try that for a while and see what happens.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating before and how many are you eating now? What kind of exercise are you doing and how often?
  • jwalkowi
    jwalkowi Posts: 7
    Options
    i'm 5'7"!!

Also I update my weight on here every time i lose even a fraction of a pound lol.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Keep updating a fraction of a pound. I've scene people lose 20,30, 80 pounds updating it that. Everybit counts. I would love to give advice on the diet portion....I've only lost just a few pounds. I feel you are more the expert. ha
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Closed diary....
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me .... A few times now.... I think I am doing everything right (set up to lose a pound each week) but a few weeks go by and the scale doesn't move..... Then the pounds drop -- 4 or 5 in a week and I am back on track. It is hard not to get discouraged but hang in there!
  • angiinkc
    angiinkc Posts: 24
    Options
    We started about the same time, same weight, everything....I have found two things that work for me. Sometimes I significantly up my cardio for a week or two to two hours a day for three to four days in a row, using a variety of machines, in addition to my weight lifting. The others thing that has worked for me believe it or not is to up my calories a bit for three to four days by a couple of hundred, then drop them back down. I really think that sometimes eating too little has been a blocker. Both of these ideas I got from reading Jillian Michaels and some of her other pals.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I;ve gone thru 3 plateaus so far, the longest is close to 4.5 weeks, I just keep doing what I'm doing. and it will come off. I don't have time to figure out and doing try and errors, but the math don't lie.So If I use more calories thann what I take in, by theory I'm losing weight. The latest thing is to do workout confusions. 2 day Zumba, 2 day weights, 1 day insanity, 1 day Yoga/pilates. 1 day swimming. Starting that week, I've lost 5 lbs.
    So if the math is solid about your output vs. intake. The body can only hold on to the weight for so long. To me it's a matter of will power.
    Besides, I'm not in a hurry to finish what I do. I'd enjoy this new body so much I can't fathom living my life any other way.