Eating sweets making me lose weight?

Options
I don't understand this, but I have been struggling with my weight for a while, have tried eating right and no sweets or barely any as I have a sweet tooth. I don't snack (my husband has a stash but I don't like any of his stuff), I drink water a lot and tried to work out a little a few times a week (30-60 minutes) and have lost nothing, I even gained weight. I have started a few weeks ago to go back to eating the food I enjoy most instead of choosing super healthy ones (I'm not a fast food person, I don't even like pizza so much, or chocolate cake and French Fries and such, I mean the soy products, no butter, etc). I like baking from time to time (like every 2 months) cupcakes and cookies, but this hasn't changed much.

Frankly, the big difference in my diet is that ever since I started eating something sweet during the day, I've lost weight the day after. The other day I ate a steak for lunch and a steak for dinner (it was a special occasion) and ate like 8 toffifee chocolates and lost 1 kg! I thought "What the heck is wrong with my body?? I expected to gain!" So now I eat a little sweet thing now and then and has been losing weight steadily (from 78.1 kg to 76.7 kg now). I still exercise, although I had to stop for a week because of a shoulder injury and am still losing weight...

Anyway has had the same and explained to them? Or anyone here knows what's going on or has any theory? I'm all ears!

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You might be insulin sensitive. Best way to find out is by doing an oral glucose tolerance test at your physicians office. It's cheaper and more accurate if you test at home though. A blood glucose kit is only 10 $ at walgreens. Test every 20 mins after you eat a high carb meal for two hours to see how your body reacts to sugar or carbs. Low numbers mean you are insulin sensitive but high numbers mean insulin resistance.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Yukatakaytee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. So if I'm insulin sensitive, what does that mean? I believe I had one many years ago and they didn't find anything unusual, but maybe after some years and a baby it has changed...
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Your body fat doesn't fluctuate that much, I'm pretty sure burning even just a pound of fat in a day is very rare unless you are severely overweight, let alone a kilo which is over double that. Your weight however will fluctuate regularly due to a number of factors which is why you can't rely on a scale for fat loss, only for an estimate a week on how much you have lost.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Yukatakaytee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well for now I've been steadily loosing weight. I usually have around 5 days of loss, 2 days of slight gain and again 5 days of loss and so on. But it's going doing slowly. I guess I lost a healthy 3 pounds last week. I just started incorporating exercise again today since my shoulder feels better. I'm doing the Nerfitness beginner training.

I did some blood test recently, but not the one for glucose tolerance. I'm to see a nutritionist soon since a few months ago I was giving up on eating healthy and training regularly as I saw no change at all, even some gain.