Aspartame

Options
I was wondering if anyone knows any information about aspartame, I don't want to here "its bad for you" thats what everyone says; but for me to drink water I use Arizona ice tea powder in my bottled water because i hate the taste of water alone. The packs are like crystal light and I also have those and they are no calories and use aspartame instead of sugar, I was wondering if anyone has been made sick from to much intake of aspartame; it's all I have been drinking the past month in my water and today I was really sick as in i felt like i was going to throw up, headache, dizzy, and weak I'm wondering if aspartame would cause this. I have no more then about 5 bottles of water with the sweeteners in it and its 1 pack in each bottle.

Anyone have any info please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Replies

• moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knows any information about aspartame, I don't want to here "its bad for you" thats what everyone says; but for me to drink water I use Arizona ice tea powder in my bottled water because i hate the taste of water alone. The packs are like crystal light and I also have those and they are no calories and use aspartame instead of sugar, I was wondering if anyone has been made sick from to much intake of aspartame; it's all I have been drinking the past month in my water and today I was really sick as in i felt like i was going to throw up, headache, dizzy, and weak I'm wondering if aspartame would cause this. I have no more then about 5 bottles of water with the sweeteners in it and its 1 pack in each bottle.

Unless you are a phenylketoneuric, or you are ingesting literally BUCKETS full of aspartame, you are not going to be made ill by aspartame.
  • neek247
    neek247 Posts: 46
    Options
    what is phenylketoneuric?
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I get the same reaction to Aspartame. It's not a natural substance therefor your body doesn't know how to process it. I know several people that get migraines from it, and there's lots of info on the internet, but I thought this article was good:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Might be wise to cut back on it or eliminate it all together to see if your symptoms improve. :flowerforyou:
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a rare condition in which a baby is born without the ability to properly break down an amino acid called phenylalanine.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Unless you are a phenylketoneuric, or you are ingesting literally BUCKETS full of aspartame, you are not going to be made ill by aspartame.

I agree with this. I love caffeine but prefer diet (instead of regular) soda with aspartame because I would rather use the extra calories for something else
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I get the same reaction to Aspartame. It's not a natural substance therefor your body doesn't know how to process it. I know several people that get migraines from it, and there's lots of info on the internet, but I thought this article was good:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Might be wise to cut back on it or eliminate it all together to see if your symptoms improve. :flowerforyou:
    I'd ignore anything MercoLOLa says. He's a crackpot and has been censured for many false claims:

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

Here's a link to a PubMed source, which is far more reliable than MercoLOLa:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12180494
  • moondawg14
    Options
    what is phenylketoneuric?

someone who has seizures when they ingest too much phenylalanine(an amino acid), which is one of the components (along with methanol, an alcohol, and aspartic acid, another amino acid) of aspartame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine#Phenylketonuria

Aspartame is synthesized from 3 "natural" products:

phenylalanine
    methanol
    aspartic acid.

Your body can "process" it just fine, just like it does with all other foods containing these three items.
  • neek247
    Options
    These are what I have been drinking for those who don't know, and no I dont think I have phenylketoneuric the only thing I have is asthma, anxiety, depression and OCD. I did have a blood clot in 2007 which was caused from birth control and it always freaks me out when i felt the way i did today that I might have another blood clot just because of how sick I was feeling; can aspartame cause blood clots?

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1003855_220722_A_400.jpg

http://origin.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/173/c/AAAADDiYJT0AAAAAAXPO7Q.jpg?v=1312805542000
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    there are many ways to look at this.

sure it is bad for you. but sugar is worse than aspartame. i would chose to have regular old water over flavored aspartame drinks.

nothing>aspartame>sugar
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    today I was really sick as in i felt like i was going to throw up, headache, dizzy, and weak
    These are also symptoms of (among many other things) not eating enough. How much are you eating per day?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    And also FYI:
    Amount of Phenylalanine (mg), Aspartic Acid (mg), Methanol (mg) contained in various foods.
    (USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory, 2007 http://www.ars.usda.gov/nutrientdata)

1059 2377 _0 Chicken breast (3 oz.)
    _606 _953 _0 Non-fat milk (12 oz.)
    _334 _632 _0 Boiled egg (1 large)
    __58 _346 107 Tomato juice (12 oz.)
    __90 __72 18 Aspartame sweetened beverage (12 oz.)
    __58 _146 21 Banana (1 medium)
    __24 _180 23 Orange juice (12 oz.)
    ___0 ___0 29 Apple juice (12 oz.)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    And also FYI:
    Amount of Phenylalanine (mg), Aspartic Acid (mg), Methanol (mg) contained in various foods.
    (USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory, 2007 http://www.ars.usda.gov/nutrientdata)

1059 2377 _0 Chicken breast (3 oz.)
    _606 _953 _0 Non-fat milk (12 oz.)
    _334 _632 _0 Boiled egg (1 large)
    __58 _346 107 Tomato juice (12 oz.)
    __90 __72 18 Aspartame sweetened beverage (12 oz.)
    __58 _146 21 Banana (1 medium)
    __24 _180 23 Orange juice (12 oz.)
    ___0 ___0 29 Apple juice (12 oz.)
    So basically, if you eat a chicken breast and some tomato juice, you've just filled your body with TEH POIZONZZZ!!!1!!1!! Oh noez!!!
  • neek247
    Options
    well today I ate nothing except when i was actually feeling better and I had fat free or low fat french fries bakes in the oven with ketchup; but probably 95% of the time I dont reach my calorie goal on the app and im under 1,200. I have an odd sleeping pattern/habit and I don't eat much but when i did eat it was unhealthy for me and is what caused me to gain so much weight. Could over exercising be doing this, I exercise 7 times a week from 30 mins to an hour.
  • moondawg14
    Options
    well today I ate nothing except when i was actually feeling better and I had fat free or low fat french fries bakes in the oven with ketchup; but probably 95% of the time I dont reach my calorie goal on the app and im under 1,200. I have an odd sleeping pattern/habit and I don't eat much but when i did eat it was unhealthy for me and is what caused me to gain so much weight. Could over exercising be doing this, I exercise 7 times a week from 30 mins to an hour.

Over exercising is not doing this. However, not eating enough to support your lifestyle could be a major factor. Eat consistently, and eat enough. The more you can do to "stabilize" your eating/sleeping/exercising ... the more consistent your results can be.
  • neek247
    Options
    yah i was told to eat small meals every few hours but sometimes i actually have to force myself to eat even to meet or get close to my 1,200 just because i dont feel like eating.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    yah i was told to eat small meals every few hours but sometimes i actually have to force myself to eat even to meet or get close to my 1,200 just because i dont feel like eating.
    Aspartame isn't your problem. You're overworking and underfeeding your body.
  • cyclebummer
    Options
    Sounds like a virus to me. Lay off all aspatame for a few days. When your symptoms are gone, get back on the aspartame. If symtoms return, maybe it is the aspartame. My wife gets similar symptoms from msg.
  • neek247
    Options
    thanks everyone =)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Yes, your body needs fuel, that is why you are feeling like that. I felt the same way when I first started and was overly aggressive about my calorie goal. I upped my calories and have felt great since.

If you are not feeling hungry on so few calories that is also not a good sign. Lack of appetite is a symptom of some vitamin deficiencies and other things you don't want. You probably need to incorporate some fats into your diet so your hormones work properly. Don't be afraid of "bad" foods, learn how to eat reasonable portions of them along with 'healthy' foods. Just eat the amount of calories that will get you a moderate deficit, which is probably considerably more than 1200 calories a day, especially if you're working out so much.

Here is a good way to figure out a reasonable calorie goal.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia?
    It is supposed to be a natural substitute for sugar but not fattening.