Concerned about calories on the MFP calculator.

Options
2»

Replies

• kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well, I know from experience that eating 700 calories a day for an extended period of time is a terrible idea. (I passed out in a restaurant from doing this). You should figure out your BMR which is your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories you need to eat just to survive. Mine is around 1400. Just type in bmr calculator on Google and you'll be able to figure yours out. Now your bmr is the minimum number of calories you should be eating in a day. If you exercise, I believe in eating back my exercise calories even though some people don't. So for example, my bmr is 1400 and let's say I burn 300 calories exercising, that means I should be eating 1700 calories that day. In my fitness pal, your bmr should be you net calorie intake for the day. I understand how hard it is to up your calories because i used to have a hard time with it. You could incorporate some high calorie but healthy things like natural peanut butter or almonds. If you're not a vegetarian or vegan, eat chicken, salmon, eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese,etc. Sometimes I have trouble reaching my calorie goal and I feel like I'm stuffing myself, but I've lost 25 pounds by eating my recommended calorie intake everyday so even though you feel like your stuffing yourself, it works! And also, when I was eating 700 calories a day, I eventually stopped losing weight and I ended up gaining it all back. I had to start all over and now I feel like I have a lifestyle where I can keep the weight off and can live with this for the rest of my life. So, make sure to at least eat at your bmr and good luck with your weight loss!
  • changergirl
    Options
    1200 calories is not a lot or difficult to get to. In fact your one meal of a smoothie, a burger, some fries, and onion rings was probably pretty close to that.

Make sure you are weighing everything you eat. It'll help you see how easy it is to get to that number and make losing weight that much easier.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to better understand how all of that food is only ~750 calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    In...

bahahahahahahahaha...

you rock jof!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    In...

Yeah I'm curious too.

Lilliputian portions?
  • jcorsiglia
    Options
    this seems like maybe you aren't entering the foods correctly maybe or that maybe the servings are off when you enter. Double check your entries and make sure you are getting the "whole" burger...like make sure your not just entering a hamburger patty, make sure all the condiments and "extras" are counted. Plus you may need to rember to snack..add some nuts, fruit and even cheese in there. It takes me at least two meals and a snack to reach 1000 calories.
  • jcorsiglia
    Options
    if you truely are consuming so few calories it is most likely a MAJOR contributer to all your health issues
  • Birlioz
    Birlioz Posts: 20
    Options
    For all of the people who are actually taking the time to help me, thank you. I appreciate the info.

As I said, it was just a "Wow moment" to realize that I'm not supposed to work off everything I eat. As I've already said, this explains a lot to me and opens up a new page for me in my personal health.

By "not counting calories" I only meant that I don't look at the food I eat and wonder if it's good or bad for me, I just eat it and try not to eat too much of it. I don't really believe in limiting what I eat, just how much. At the end of the day, I log onto MFP and put "Burger, onion, ketchup, fries, pepper, salt, etc" in.

I'm not very techy, but I'll see if I can figure out how to make my diary public.

Also, it makes sense that things aren't being entered correctly. I can see now that relying on the foods that other users have put in can be very, very wrong. I doubled checked the information for an Arizona Tea that I drank today, and it was triple the amount that was actually in the can, so I guess that was pretty relieving. Looks like I need to take a closer look at the quanities when I enter the food, I just now found the "oz" dropdown menu, I had to scroll my page to the right to find it.

In any case, I appreciate the feedback. Thank you, everyone!
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For all of the people who are actually taking the time to help me, thank you. I appreciate the info.

As I said, it was just a "Wow moment" to realize that I'm not supposed to work off everything I eat. As I've already said, this explains a lot to me and opens up a new page for me in my personal health.

By "not counting calories" I only meant that I don't look at the food I eat and wonder if it's good or bad for me, I just eat it and try not to eat too much of it. I don't really believe in limiting what I eat, just how much. At the end of the day, I log onto MFP and put "Burger, onion, ketchup, fries, pepper, salt, etc" in.

I'm not very techy, but I'll see if I can figure out how to make my diary public.

Also, it makes sense that things aren't being entered correctly. I can see now that relying on the foods that other users have put in can be very, very wrong. I doubled checked the information for an Arizona Tea that I drank today, and it was triple the amount that was actually in the can, so I guess that was pretty relieving. Looks like I need to take a closer look at the quanities when I enter the food, I just now found the "oz" dropdown menu, I had to scroll my page to the right to find it.

In any case, I appreciate the feedback. Thank you, everyone!

BOOM! there's a big part of the problem.

Glad you got it figured out. See if things don't go a little more smoothly for you now.