What is your motivation?

Options
Talking to people here and in the "real" world I notice that almost everyone has a reason for wanting to lose weight other than to get healthy (most of the time, I know there are exceptions). Such as, wear a bikini in the summer, play with your children/grandchildren, feel sexy in your own skin, etc. Sometimes I am surprised at what motivates people, and that intrigues me.

My motivation has many levels, and I haven't found the one that has made my journey take off so I want to know what all of your motivations are!

My main motivation right now is to be able to ski and snowboard this winter in my gear that is currently too small and without my belly getting in the way of doing up my snowboard. My other motivation is to be able to run around with my nieces and nephews and still be able to keep up with them in races, sports etc. (They are 14, 12, 11, 8, 6 and 3 1/2 so this is getting more and more difficult by the day!)

What motivates you?

Replies

• cmcmitro
    cmcmitro Posts: 6
    Options
    Ya know, I just started this a few days ago (Monday, to be exact); and I guess I'm still figuring out all of my motivations. One motivation is to have children - I'm a newlywed, and my husband and I have been talking about it; however, now that I'm so focused on losing weight/getting healthy, I don't want to get pregnant yet. So there goes that motivation.

Another thing I thought was motivating me was the thought of looking better when I go back to school in August (I'm a high school teacher). I have all of these cute outfits from a few years ago that no longer fit me; however, I gleefully emptied some things out of my closet yesterday - even some of the smaller-sized things. I said to myself, "Out with the old. When you're skinny, you'll want new anyway." So there goes that motivation.

I think my main motivating factor is simply my happiness. I've felt happy these past 3 days, and I really think that it is because I'm holding myself accountable and have realized that I can do this. I've thrown the tired "I'll-never-be-skinny" response to the wind, and instead, have embraced the "I-can-do-anything" attitude.

I'm 4'6" and have never been slim. My lowest adult weight has been 123, and for my height, that's still 20 lbs overweight. I don't know if I can get to 103, but damn it, I'm going to give it my all.

And for some reason, that keeps me going.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be able to get up on a slalom water ski again after 2 consecutive years of not being able to. I have lost the weight needed to pull this off, but unfortunately it's starting to look like I won't have an opportunity to put it to the test this year.
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Drop weight and compete in Muay Thai.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety problems and frequent panic attacks. I convince myself I'm dying at least once a week for a good hour or two. The healthier I am, the easier it is to talk myself out of a completely unnecessary trip to the ER.

I also wanna look better naked, not gonna lie.
  • MerBear1985
    MerBear1985 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thought of another one! I want to try Tae Kwon Do, but I don't want to make a complete fool of myself by not being able to breathe during it!
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Start it now if you can MerBear. Fitness will come as you train. Better sooner than later.
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have several but for some reason the one that has me really motivated is to look hot performing a dance routine. I saw photos from the last one and was disgusted in myself!
  • Flux_Decapitator
    Flux_Decapitator Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    roller derby! ive been skating for 2 years and my weight effects my fitness and my fitness effects my skating.
    its more about getting fit and knowing that i'm healthy :)
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety problems and frequent panic attacks. I convince myself I'm dying at least once a week for a good hour or two. The healthier I am, the easier it is to talk myself out of a completely unnecessary trip to the ER.

I also wanna look better naked, not gonna lie.

I had awful anxiety before my fitness "journey". I lost ~70lb pre-MFP, then had to bulk to build muscle. I started running because my mom was a runner my entire life, while I was always overweight. Now, I can deal with stress. But my main motivation is my daughter. I make it a point to ONLY show self love & respect in front of her. ( I only wish my mom had appreciated her own beauty before she passed away suddenly.) I may not always feel it, but as far as my daughter knows, we are both beautiful girls. I have lost the weight. But what I value most is what I've gained; the ability to love myself for who I am.