staying below suggested calorie count bad?

Hi guys im new here and had a quick question. Myfitnesspal has a suggested calorie count that is already 1000 calories deficit for my weight loss plan. My question, is it bad to stay 200-300 calories below the suggested calorie intake? I heard somewhere that by not thaking in enough calories your body will not burn fat. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Yes! Especially with that small of a calorie intake already. Usually MFP won't put someone below 1200, so 1000 is surprising. Personally, I think that if you're below your calories, you should only be below by 50 or less.
  • Megatron78
    Megatron78 Posts: 6 Member
    Ok thank you for the quick response! I have alot of weight to lose so my intake even with deficit is still 2695 calories! Do you still think 200-300 is that bad?
  • BlackBeltInTraining
    BlackBeltInTraining Posts: 30 Member
    It depends on the circumstances that cause the 200-300 calorie deficit. Now, a person should eat about 1200-1400 minimum (Changes depending on person, but this is a generalization, it changes based on gender, age, muscle, exercise...). But, lets say you eat the minimum amount of calories and then proceed to burn off 300 calories through running or lifting weights then that is not necessarily bad!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    If you're very obese it's not necessarily bad. I wouldn't let your deficit go more than 1% of your body weight per week though. Not sure how much you weigh now but given as you have 146 to lose I'm guessing at least 300 :P
  • Megatron78
    @ blackbelt That makes alot of sense! That is exactly what happened today i really appreciate the feedback guys thank you!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Hi guys im new here and had a quick question. Myfitnesspal has a suggested calorie count that is already 1000 calories deficit for my weight loss plan. My question, is it bad to stay 200-300 calories below the suggested calorie intake? I heard somewhere that by not thaking in enough calories your body will not burn fat. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks in advance!

I'm a thousand under my target today. Was a thousand over a couple days ago.

Balance.
  • BlackBeltInTraining
    Just saw your updated post, I would definately say that the 200-300 deficit is not necessarily bad if that is your caloric intake as suggested by MFP. You're far from the lowest amount of calories that a male should intake. (I'm not a medical professional, so don't quote me on this, but I'm just talking from what I've heard from others/ read up on myself!). If it was really that bad then I guess it would be hard to change diets and the like. If you think about it, a healthy salad can be a lunch at around 200 (max) and then breakfast with yogurt, granola, and orange juice would be around 350-400 depending. A burger with a side of chips (650-ish max) Plus three snacks to get rid of hunger throughout the day? Well, lets say that they are maybe 150 each, so 450. 200+450=650+650=1300+450=1750. In the end, it is ok if it is lower, just not as low as 1400 and don't intentionally shoot to be lower all the time. Perhaps have some low days and then some high days to balance it out. What matters most, though, is that what you're eating is good for you!
  • BlackBeltInTraining
    @ blackbelt That makes alot of sense! That is exactly what happened today i really appreciate the feedback guys thank you!
    No problem at all! I'm always glad to help! If you ever need any other help or any other advice feel free to message me or add me! :)
  • xxxtracyxxx
    xxxtracyxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks for asking this, im kinda losing it at the moment and this maybe what I need to get back on track - a reminder of what I should be doing!

Thank you
  • Megatron78
    @ophidion thank you sir, @tracy Aint nothing to it but to do it! #LetsGo
  • id be worried about metabolic damage if you're going that low.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    BUMP