Why did my scale just say I GAINED weight?

Hey everyone.

I just started 3 days ago and lost 4 lbs in my first day. Today I stepped on the scale and gained 1,2 lbs.

I have been exercising like crazy (mainly walking and a lot of house renovation right now) and staying way under my recommended calories. My sugar was a little over yesterday but everything else normal. I have been like 1000 cals under my limit, because of all the exercise. Should I exercise and not eat my deficit?

I eat homemade, healthy food. Lots of vegetables and fruit (not too much fruit)
I am thinking maybe it is normal to fluctuate or maybe I should cut carbs. Go down to a Atkins type diet.

It always makes me very upset when I gain even though I try so hard.
Can someone tell me if it is normal to gain and lose like that?
Should I weigh myself weekly, daily or monthly?

I'm a little frustrated. I always give up when this happens, because I am an emotional eater. Can someone give me a little motivation?

Thank you.

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    our bodies can fluctuate several pounds every day- pick a day of the week to weigh in and make that your only official weigh in day.

secondly- 1000 cals is too low for your body to function properly. you need to properly fuel your body for basic function- and moreso if you are exercising a lot. MFP sets the cals low and expects u to eat back your exercise cals.

dont be afraid of food. find out your basal metabolic rate, and at the bare minimum eat that.

eat protein, healthy fats, and lift weights. strength training does wonders for fat loss!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Water weight variations, really. Don't cut your calories more. If you can't handle seeing small variations from day to day, weigh yourself once a week.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Put that scale away and don't get it out again for another week. Weight fluctuates constantly, even hour to hour. I can weigh myself ten times a day and get ten different numbers. Same thing if I weigh myself daily. Those numbers mean nothing. All that constant weighing will just stress you out and discourage you to the point of giving up. You don't need all that stress in your life.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    our bodies can fluctuate several pounds every day- pick a day of the week to weigh in and make that your only official weigh in day.

secondly- 1000 cals is too low for your body to function properly. you need to properly fuel your body for basic function- and moreso if you are exercising a lot. MFP sets the cals low and expects u to eat back your exercise cals.

dont be afraid of food. find out your basal metabolic rate, and at the bare minimum eat that.

eat protein, healthy fats, and lift weights. strength training does wonders for fat loss!

This.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    It's saying you gained weight because you lost seven pounds
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Put that scale away and don't get it out again for another week. Weight fluctuates constantly, even hour to hour. I can weigh myself ten times a day and get ten different numbers. Same thing if I weigh myself daily. Those numbers mean nothing. All that constant weighing will just stress you out and discourage you to the point of giving up. You don't need all that stress in your life.

And this too. :flowerforyou:
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Ill gain up to 4kg during the week, before my lightest day (Wednesday) when it shows a loss.

Its normal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    3 whole days?

You need to give your body a bit more time to adjust to the new regime you're giving it.

Put that scale away. Take measurements NOW. And re-measure everything including weight in a month.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Hey everyone.

I just started 3 days ago and lost 4 lbs in my first day. Today I stepped on the scale and gained 1,2 lbs.

I have been exercising like crazy (mainly walking and a lot of house renovation right now) and staying way under my recommended calories. My sugar was a little over yesterday but everything else normal. I have been like 1000 cals under my limit, because of all the exercise. Should I exercise and not eat my deficit?

I am thinking maybe it is normal to fluctuate or maybe I should cut carbs. Go down to a Atkins type diet.

I'm a little frustrated. I always give up when this happens, because I am an emotional eater. Can someone give me a little motivation?

Thank you.

It's totally normal, so contrary to the advice from weekly weighers, I weigh myself every day to learn how my body reacts to different foods. If you only weigh yourself weekly, you're not learning anything about what the numbers actually mean. A week is a long time to wait only to get bad (and possibly WRONG) news!

Most important though, is remember the scales are only one way of measuring progress. Measure yourself and take photos, too.
  • CorliJooste
    CorliJooste Posts: 12 Member
    Totally normal! I haven't lost anything on the scales for 2 weeks, but when I measure myself I lose centimetres every week!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Whoa.... THREE days. Take a deep breath. Relax. Three days in is not the time to go crazy.
  • thanks for the great reply. I think I understand it a little better now.
  • yes you're right about not freaking out about three days. thanks.
  • Once again....thanks everyone for the great advice. I am very happy to have joined this page as it is helping me stay motivated.
    I will take the measurements now and also weigh myself a little less.
    Maybe I should also meditate on the fact that the number on that scale shouldn't freak me out so much.

Thanks to all of you.
    You guys are all a great inspiration for me.

:heart:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Hey everyone.

Thank you.

For crying out loud, give it time, three days is nowhere near long enough to get an average reading!!!

The first day you lost 4lbs because it was water and glycogen loss. What did you eat yesterday?

Look, get your daily calorie allowance, log all your food and drink. Weigh and measure yourself once per week and log it under "weigh-in" on your own profile. Do your exercise and log that too. Stick to your daily calorie allowance.

The above paragraph is all you need to do.

Do you honestly expect weight to consistently come off every single day? If so, you are putting yourself in line for 100% disappointment, because that will not happen.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    I have weighed weekly and daily but always at the same time first thing in the morning, as for gaining a bit don't go daily if your losing motivation with a small gain, I use it to tweak my cal and workouts. Definitely eat back your exercise cals otherwise your body panics and you don't burn. I also try not to eat too many crabs/sugars I opt for more proteins, healthy fats and veggies/fruit. Now remember not all food are equal so if you could choose apple or watermelon, apple is far healthier to lose weight than watermelon. Lean proteins etc...hang in there and so the inches and photos too it does take a while to make something a habit and lifestyle. Good luck!