Protein Powder Recommendations...

Options
2»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I've even using a whey isolate, but I'm changing to hemp for any number of reasons, mostly to avoid animal by-products. I mix it into coarse cut rolled outs, so it should work well for me. It probably isn't the best for shakes.

hemp protein is crap

And you have what credentials to make that assertation?

http://www.goodhempnutrition.com/content/21-nutritional-information-hemp-protein

their website.
    EAAs are the worst out of all the proteins with hemp. rice and soy would be smarter for a vegan to take

You ASSume that everyone can use rice or soy based PP's.
    that doesn't change the fact it is crap
    the PDCAA is 47

Your opinion. It's better than processed animal by-products. You know, the stuff that typically goes into hot dogs or gets fed to pigs. (Another good reason to avoid pork.)

yea cause when they make cheese whey doesn't come out.
    I think you need to educate yourself on the process of production of whey protein, because you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about

I heard pigs drink water. you shouldn't drink water either
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like GNC's Total Lean 25 in Rich chocolate. I believe if you are a Gold card member (free right now) you can get a can for $30-$35. I mix it with skim milk and sometimes throw in a scoop of PB2. I like the Premier Protein ready made drinks from Sam's Club too. I don't remember the cost on those though.

Everyone has an opinion, sometimes it's just good to try a sample and decide for yourself. Good luck to you.
  • babiikakess
    Options
    COMPLETE NUTRITION V-CORE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING ONLY 120 CALS 2G OF SUGAR AND I BELIEVE 23G OF PROTEIN PER SERVING THAT'S WHAT I USE YOU REALLY WANT TO BE AWARE OF YOUR SUGAR CONTENT AND ALL THE EXTRA STUFF IN PROTEIN SHAKES THAT YOU DON'T NEED! A LOT OF THE ONES MENTIONED HAVE ANYWHERE FROM 4-20G OF SUGAR
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    NNW 100% whey protein. 108 calories, 22 g protein. 4 ingredients. sweetened with stevia. I love it! I get it at HyVee.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question.

I have been wanting to add protein powder to my daily diet to increase my protein. I think I would like an afternoon shake and there is certainly a great diversity of flavors.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have to have a really high protein to low carb ratio and the powder I have found that fits this bill the best is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Classic Whey Protein. I have only tried the Double Rich Chocolate flavor but I will probably be getting flavorless or vanilla soon to add to other recipes. I usually mix 1 scoop with 1 cup of either milk or almond milk, 5 frozen strawberries, and 1T peanut butter. Drink it every morning. This one is not chalky to me at all and not very sweet which is really good for me as I don't like sweet powders. Also, it does not foam as much at other powders I have had when I blend it. It is slightly more expensive than some of the others mentioned at about $16/lb from their website.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I personally like Wal-Mart's brand. In-store, where I live, it is the least expensive variety. Body Fortress. Cookies n' cream and Vanilla cream are both very good! I am not particularly fond of strawberry, though. Doesn't mean you wouldn't like it :) I love using it to make protein bars, cake, ice cream etc :) it's fun
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Visalus protein powder in my fruit smoothie every morning. I actually love the taste. I tried doing the whole "two shakes a day" thing but it was too much for me. I enjoy it once a day with a protein bar before my workouts.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress either the chocolate or the pb chocolate. I get it at Walmart and it's pretty good. No chalky taste and I think 30g of protein per scoop.

I used to use the ON Whey and found that stuff to be nasty. Chalky, gross and clumpy. Not to mention expensive.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love Tera'sWhey Grass-Fed, Organic whey for my morning coffee (I mix it with a little bit of almond milk first. It makes the most luxuriously creamy and rich coffee creamer with 34g of protein. :) ), and in my chocolate milk shakes I do with raw cacao, frozen bananas, stevia drops, almond milk, and a few ice cubes. So freakin' good! I love the company's environmental and community mindset as well. They get written about a lot in Wisconsin, as they are setting the pace for companies that are designed to make a minimal footprint on our earth.

https://www.facebook.com/teraswhey?fref=ts

I use Garden of Life's "Raw Protein" for my green smoothies. It is a non-soy, raw, organic vegetable protein powder. It is a little chalky, but I don't find that to be a bad thing in my smoothies.
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you want protein that is JUST protein/no filler blends:

Giant Sports Delicious Protein - Whey/Casein blend, very palatable
    USP Labs Oxyelite Protein - Whey/Casein blend, VERY tasty, and very new, so may be hard to find
    GNCs Wheybolic 60 - Good for a house brand, 6/10 taste, has a few bells and whistles (carnitine, digestive enzymes) try to get this with a coupon or from a franchise location, regular price is just unfair.
    Cellucor Cor-Whey - Very smooth Isolate/Concentrate blend, decent value per serving if you shop around, more unique flavor choices (like ON Gold Standard without the terrible after taste of low quality, front loaded concentrate that they use)
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Gaspai Myofusion- the peanut butter cookie dough and the cookies and cream are amazing.
  • PrayerMiracle
    Options
    To the poster Summersbest - you rock !!! thank you for posting those smoothies recipes - you have saved me a tonne of work !!!
  • TangieTP
    TangieTP Posts: 26
    Options
    Wow @ Summers best!!! GREATEST POST EVER!!! So helpful! I just copied it and printed it out. Thank you!
  • Liz36west
    Liz36west Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, only been on this site a week.
    Summersbest, thanks, saved and ready to print :-)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    My protein powder recommendations: Chicken Breasts, Eggs, Lean Beef...

Protein powder is unnecessary. If possible, get your protein from whole food sources. 4oz of Chicken breast has the same amount of calories as 1 serving of protein powder and usually more protein. If you absolutely need protein powder for convenience or you can't eat enough, I recommend Isopure Dutch Chocolate. It's delicious.
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Casein protein from bb.com

casein has probably the highest satiation out of the animal proteins.

trutein is a blend of whey casein and eggs
    dymatize casein
    Optimum nutrition gold standard casein

its more expensive than whey but it is more filling calorie for calorie overall.

mixability is the problem

Its filling yes , but slow digesting. I prefer an Iso-whey . Its lowest in calories and fastest absorbing protein . Each serving of my ISO-WHEY has 25g protein , 0 fats , 0 carbs .
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I quite like the USN pro Chocolate Cream flavor.

http://www.betterbodiesfalkirk.co.uk/UserFiles/product/usn-pure-protein.jpg