rowing machine

Options
I have military injuries that make it hard to do workouts that put a lot of pressure on hip, legs, ankles and feet.
Would a rowing machine be as effective as other aerobic exercises?

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I honestly think rowing is a great workout.
  • barboryte1
    barboryte1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Used one today. Not sure about your injuries but it kicks my butt: cardio, arms, legs, etc. Try it.
  • Mrsbasford
    Mrsbasford Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just dont want to invest money if its not worth it.
  • Mrsbasford
    Options
    How is it with the ab area? I gain weight in my face, boobs and stomach and a lil in thighs
  • Easy_Ed
    Easy_Ed Posts: 3
    Options
    A rowing machine works out your entire body; it's the best full body workout machine that builds muscle and provides a kick-butt cardio workout at the same time. See this post on what a rowing machine does for your body: http://www.rowingmachineking.com/will-a-rowing-machine-help-me-lose-weight/

It will definitely work out you core and other muscles. It literally has transformed my body and if you use it consistently while watching your diet (don't stuff your face with fast food every meal), you will definitely get leaner and in better shape.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    How is it with the ab area? I gain weight in my face, boobs and stomach and a lil in thighs

Cardio wont burn fat , a calorie deficit will burn fat . Cardio assists in creating a deficit.

I also see you want to spot reduce. Fat will be burnt evenly throughout the body at a deficit , u cant target any specific area.

Rowing is a great workout , higher resistance may build some muscle :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running, riding and rowing are my three Rs.......

Rowing is a fantastic full body workout. Given that you may have some limitations I would suggest (if at all possible) that you do a couple of sessions (perhaps at your local gym or indoor rowing club if you have one) to try before you buy. Even better would be to send a session or two with an instructor to ensure you're rowing with proper form.

When you're ready to buy check out the Concept2 machines. They're a little pricier than some others but they're the gold standard of rowing machines (they're built to last) and made in the USA; if you're really lucky you may be able to find a used one......
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used the rowing machine pretty regularily for a few months and really enjoyed it. 95% of my routine is weight training, but I'd sometimes use a rowing machine for up to 20 mins at a time to compliment that. I think the longest session for me was 2 15min sessions (use for 15mins, take a short break, use for another 15mins). I always felt like I was getting a great workout with it. I don't use one now simply because my current gym doesn't have any :grumble:

But yes it is a great full body workout. Better than an eliptical, running, or whatever IMO. Form is very important though, you can't just get on it like an eliptical. You have to learn the right way to use it.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have been rowing for the past 9 months and believe me it is the best non-impact cardio machine as far as I am concerned! I was a typical 51 yr-old mumsy-shaped...fat at all the wrong places..esp round the waist, at the back round the shoulder blade , neck, on the hip, side boobs, you name it...but now I have lost a lot of weight and toned and I am very happy with what I have achieved.

But like everything else you have to use it correctly (YouTube has lots of good tips) and follow it through - and be consistent.

Concept 2 is the best machine around ( it's bcos I owned one..:smile: ) and their website and facebook group support are absolutely fantastic! Good Luck!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    But yes it is a great full body workout. Better than an eliptical, running, or whatever IMO. Form is very important though, you can't just get on it like an eliptical. You have to learn the right way to use it.
    THIS! I love the rower, and use it several times a week at my gym, but have noticed people using horribly incorrect form, and it can lead to back pains, etc.
  • Mrsbasford
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and tips. I will give it a try.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Rowing is awesome, but if you are buying a rowing machine make sure you are getting a real rowing machine. Some of the pretend crap out there will convince you it works and then it doesn't or breaks. Do know you can come close to it with cable machines and even resistance bands, but not all the way benefit.

Two of the rowing machines I like are the Concept 2, and the H20. Both are in the $1000 range, so would benefit you to go try them out somewhere. Their web sites will tell you where there is one in your area to try. That always has made be feel easier about them. They trust their product enough to encourage you to try one before buying.

I've used both of these (as well as others) in gyms and I'm still saving for mine. I haven't decided which of these two I'm buying, but it will be one. I'm leaning towards the H20 because of noise level, but I'm still waffling back and forth.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is the one you want: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d
    as another poster noted, but it's pricey. I would suggest trying one out at a gym a few times before buying it. I think you can also find used C2s on eBay or Craigslist. Older models are totally fine-- you might need to replace the recoil mechanism in the flywheel though. Almost everyone leaves the handle in the little notch instead of up at the flywheel housing when not using the C2. This wears out the recoil mechanism, which sucks.
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We have a concept2 and it's wonderful! Definitely gives you a full body workout!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Rowing is great, but if you've got a bunch of injuries you don't know what to do with - and don't know how they might be affected 3/6/12 months from now, it's way, WAY better to just get a gym membership. My plan is to commit to mixing up cardio, bc no matter how good your form, so easy to get an overuse injury by just doing 1 kind of cardio.

At a gym you can use different things, lift weights, use weight machines if you have to - no way to replicate all those options at home, if you have an average income.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Rowing is great, but if you've got a bunch of injuries you don't know what to do with - and don't know how they might be affected 3/6/12 months from now, it's way, WAY better to just get a gym membership. My plan is to commit to mixing up cardio, bc no matter how good your form, so easy to get an overuse injury by just doing 1 kind of cardio.

At a gym you can use different things, lift weights, use weight machines if you have to - no way to replicate all those options at home, if you have an average income.

This, and if you can afford it, a personal trainer. Best money I've spent, with regard working with injuries.