Stretch marks after weight loss...support

Options
At 21 years old I have lost 23lbs and am really loving my new fitness and way of eating. I know it is good for me, my heart and my over all life. There is one thing though that is left after all this and that is those horrible stretch marks (i never had a child they are just from life) I find that this is discouraging my weight-loss a bit because i keep thinking well it doesn't matter if i have a six pack because i could never show it off. Also i never really noticed them until i lost all the weight. I guess i am just looking for other people who are dealing with this body problem.

Replies

• ThaithaiChocolate
    ThaithaiChocolate Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had 2 kids have to s of stretch marks had them before kids too they never really go away but the fade don't lose weight for the six PAC abs do it cause it is healthier :) so one told me Mederma is good haven't tried it out yet.
  • nataliesarazyn
    nataliesarazyn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to be 220 (down to 135) and I have the same problem as you. My arms, legs, breasts, and stomach are covered in stretch marks. Most days I feel like a zebra. I really hate it. I avoid shorts and tank tops because of it. I went to a dermatologist for an unrelated skin problem and she actually gasped in shock when she saw my arms. I really wish I knew how to deal wit it myself. :(
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids but skin is elastic, the more supple it is the less noticeable the marks become. Try BioOil which is found in most drugstores and I've had clients tell me Mederma helps as well. Good luck!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Better stop caring now because you'll never get rid of them anyway! I got stretch marks all over. So what? ;)
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned above, BioOil works REALLY well. The little bottle seems expensive, but it lasts forever. I had the ugliest stretch marks on my sides from losing weight and now you can see them at all. (Well, I can. But only because I know what I'm looking for).
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    I know there are a lot of stretch mark creams out there that are supposed to reduce how visible they are but I don't know if these actually work. I've tried a few and have had no success but maybe that is because at the time I was still gaining weight and not losing any. There is nothing that will really make them disappear for good (that I know of). There might be some sort of expensive laser procedure that could do it, but learn to love yourself as you are. I hate my stretch marks too, but my boyfriend doesn't care about them. Hopefully they'll get less noticeable as I lose weight and that's all I can hope for!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I saw this poster and thought it applies:

You're a TIGER who's earned her stripes.

Don't worry about it. I have another 100 lbs to lose and I'm worried about what I'll look like after too...however, if someone doesn't like what they're looking at, they can always turn their heads. You've worked your butt off, and you deserve to feel great...don't worry about your stripes, you've EARNED them. They will fade with time, but even if they don't, oh well.

Be gorgeous and confident INSIDE and you will be on the OUTSIDE too...no matter shape, marks, hair colour, etc!!:flowerforyou:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I gave birth to 6 kids.

As you can maybe see I have stretch marks on my belly hips but also my thighs and breast. I work hard and if people do not want to see my stretch marks when I wear my biini....it is not MY problm.

11614737_8128.jpg
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    they're just battle scars or tiger stripes. I went from about 100 pounds to about 130 during the summer before 6th grade because of puberty, and as a result I have huge purple scars all over my inner thighs as well as some lighter stripes on the backs of my calves, my tummy, my chest, and my bum. I've been both quite bigger and a bit smaller that 130 in the years since, but they've stayed put.

bio oil has slightly reduced the appearance of them, but I don't know - I think they're kind of cool, I don't think I'd want to get rid of them completely, they're part of who I am and where I've been and what I've been through and that's pretty badass.

you just might want to look at them in a different light!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    <--- being pregnant destroyed my stomach. I had a few bright red stretch marks on my hips prior to my kid. Meh, I'm a bit self conscious, but I think it has more to do with my chubby belly, and I had several surgeries, so I have additional scars.
  • time2change14
    Options
    I went to a dermatologist for an unrelated skin problem and she actually gasped in shock when she saw my arms. I really wish I knew how to deal wit it myself. :(

Wow, that is BEYOND rude! Especially since as a dermatologist, she should be used to all kinds of skin issues. I hope you don't go back.
  • nataliesarazyn
    nataliesarazyn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I went to a dermatologist for an unrelated skin problem and she actually gasped in shock when she saw my arms. I really wish I knew how to deal wit it myself. :(

Wow, that is BEYOND rude! Especially since as a dermatologist, she should be used to all kinds of skin issues. I hope you don't go back.

She was just shocked because my arms now are really tiny and that's not something that people with small arms usually have. my arms used to be huge, but she didn't know that.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    **Trigger warning for talk of SI**

Stretch marks are really only a problem because society tells us they are not beautiful.

I'm 32, I don't have kids, and I have stretch marks all over my body: my belly, my breasts, my arms and my legs.

What I also have, from my earlier life of dealing with depression, trauma, and PTSD, is a bunch of scars from using self-injury to deal with life. I am TOTALLY proud of my of my scars. I can tell you what happened at each point in my life that lead to each scar coming to exist on my body. I'm proud because they are permanent reminders of all the awful **** things that happened in my life that I OVERCAME AND SURVIVED!!! I am proud of them, and I see them as my battle-scars.

When I first started losing weight, and I saw that my stretch marks were not going to go away even if I got to goal weight, I got depressed and would cry that I would forever be "ugly" in my mind. My wonderful partner turned to me and she said, "You know your scars? You know how you love them and will even challenge people who may have anything negative to say about them? You know how they are a symbol of all you have overcome? Why don't you choose to see the stretch marks as scars? Why don't you choose to see them as things to cherish and rejoice over because you BEAT those demons that kept you so unhappy for so long!!" And you know what? That TOTALLY made sense.

I now look at my stretch marks with pride. They are a symbol of me conquering the sadness, sickness and self-hatred that led to me getting so big in the first place! I can't name the event that created each stretch mark, but they show me I am strong. I have beaten weakness. I have kicked self-hatred in the guts and made it leave my life. Now, I look at them as reminders that I AM WORTHY. I AM BEAUTIFUL. And gosh-dammit I am powerful!

I have lost 64 kg (141 lbs) and as my skin has shrunk, my stretch marks have become just that little bit more obvious as my skin has crinkled around them. And I'm totally ok with that. Instead of my victory fading into the background, it is shouting from the rooftops, and may the universe help anyone who chooses to say anything negative about this visual reminder because I will take their head off.

I hope this helps a little. I wish you comfort with your own victory.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Most people - about 80% of all Americans, male and female - have stretch marks. Often they are the result of puberty. They never go away, but like many other posters have mentioned, they *will* fade. I have found from personal experience that lotions and creams don't really do much. Maybe that's because I have really light skin. What helped me was time and getting a little sun in the effected areas once in a while. It helps them fade faster. Other than that, I would suggest reading up on how normal these are. It will make you feel less anxious about having them. The people without them are the abnormal ones in this situation. ;)
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    <--- being pregnant destroyed my stomach. I had a few bright red stretch marks on my hips prior to my kid. Meh, I'm a bit self conscious, but I think it has more to do with my chubby belly, and I had several surgeries, so I have additional scars.
    You look beautiful and i have had over 13 surgeries too... i'm one big walking scar.
    Thank you to all who replied to this post it was wonderful. I have tried creams and bio oil with no effect.
    I am a tiger hear me RAwR.. lol
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sadly my stretch marks were pre pregnancy from when i hit my heaviest weight (47kgs larger than i am now!!! and i was lighter at 41 weeks pregnant),They do fade and becoem feint silvery lines though... I will just keep a shirt over mine :)
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options

Stretch marks are really only a problem because society tells us they are not beautiful.

I'm 32, I don't have kids, and I have stretch marks all over my body: my belly, my breasts, my arms and my legs.

What I also have, from my earlier life of dealing with depression, trauma, and PTSD, is a bunch of scars from using self-injury to deal with life. I am TOTALLY proud of my of my scars. I can tell you what happened at each point in my life that lead to each scar coming to exist on my body. I'm proud because they are permanent reminders of all the awful **** things that happened in my life that I OVERCAME AND SURVIVED!!! I am proud of them, and I see them as my battle-scars.

When I first started losing weight, and I saw that my stretch marks were not going to go away even if I got to goal weight, I got depressed and would cry that I would forever be "ugly" in my mind. My wonderful partner turned to me and she said, "You know your scars? You know how you love them and will even challenge people who may have anything negative to say about them? You know how they are a symbol of all you have overcome? Why don't you choose to see the stretch marks as scars? Why don't you choose to see them as things to cherish and rejoice over because you BEAT those demons that kept you so unhappy for so long!!" And you know what? That TOTALLY made sense.

I now look at my stretch marks with pride. They are a symbol of me conquering the sadness, sickness and self-hatred that led to me getting so big in the first place! I can't name the event that created each stretch mark, but they show me I am strong. I have beaten weakness. I have kicked self-hatred in the guts and made it leave my life. Now, I look at them as reminders that I AM WORTHY. I AM BEAUTIFUL. And gosh-dammit I am powerful!

I have lost 64 kg (141 lbs) and as my skin has shrunk, my stretch marks have become just that little bit more obvious as my skin has crinkled around them. And I'm totally ok with that. Instead of my victory fading into the background, it is shouting from the rooftops, and may the universe help anyone who chooses to say anything negative about this visual reminder because I will take their head off.

Thankyou this left me speechless and tearful. You. are. powerful.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I gave birth to 6 kids.

As you can maybe see I have stretch marks on my belly hips but also my thighs and breast. I work hard and if people do not want to see my stretch marks when I wear my biini....it is not MY problm.

11614737_8128.jpg

---^ This!
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

I love you.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds and I have really deep stretch marks all over my hips. I am really self conscious of them but in the end the positive changes I've made are well worth it. And realistically everyone is so wrapped up in their own worlds no one is going to notice someone elses stretch marks.