Not seeing results, prepared for some new ideas

Options
I'm not going to whinge about giving up or cutting to 3 calories a day or anything but I'd appreciate any thoughts on changes to make as it's about a month since I've seen any weight loss, had a miminal decrease in measurements and getting frustrated.
I'm 32, 5'6", my diary is open. Yes I have digital scales, not I don't have a HRM. Based on TDEE less 20% I'm set at just under 1500 a day.

I walk a couple of miles a day probably 4 days a week to get in and out of work, go to the gym a couple of times a week (30 mins cardio, 15-20 weights/resistence, 15-20 bodyweight resistance) and try to do the nerd fitness body weight circuits at home a couple of times a week. I tried some HIIT and didn't see any difference other than feeling like hell and really hungry for the rest of the day. I always eat back some, usually most of my exercise calories. I have a desk job.

I don't really eat many sweets and watch my carbs as I had glucose tolerence problems a few years ago when i was a lot bigger than I am now. I limit my caffeiene, get plenty of water, eat home cooked meals more often than not, don't drink much booze, lots of fresh veg etc.

Currently 85 kilos, down from 89 around easter. no loss recently at all.

So go on, hit me with some broscience. I'll consider anything except the sunshine diet!!!!

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    May I suggest... a rest from working out for a week or so, while upping your calories to 1600, then back into it.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    May I suggest... a rest from working out for a week or so, while upping your calories to 1600, then back into it.

all working out or just the more intense stuff? As in no proper work outs but still the walks etc?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Keep up walks - apparently although you get "bonus" calories from them they are not "exercise" (in the sense you're making your body do something out of the ordinary - for example, you can have a walk on a rest day, but not do an aerobics class).

Also have you tried either swapping round your routines (so you don't do the same thing on the same day each week) or maybe trying something different- a new workout DVD, maybe somethigng like Wii Zumab2 (the first one was apparently not very good), or evn ust a "lets dance" game.

Its all bout keeping your body guessing :wink:
  • pinktoesjb
    Options
    Keep up walks - apparently although you get "bonus" calories from them they are not "exercise" (in the sense you're making your body do something out of the ordinary - for example, you can have a walk on a rest day, but not do an aerobics class).

Also have you tried either swapping round your routines (so you don't do the same thing on the same day each week) or maybe trying something different- a new workout DVD, maybe somethigng like Wii Zumab2 (the first one was apparently not very good), or evn ust a "lets dance" game.

I could mix it up a bit more I guess. I struggle for inspiration as I work out by myself so I do tend to just get my head down and get on with a set of exercises that I know and get it over with. I've got 30DS which I have to say I don't love as the warm up is non existant and I always hurt afterwards because of it. There's more to life than Jillian though I guess I shall research!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I could mix it up a bit more I guess. I struggle for inspiration as I work out by myself so I do tend to just get my head down and get on with a set of exercises that I know and get it over with. I've got 30DS which I have to say I don't love as the warm up is non existant and I always hurt afterwards because of it. There's more to life than Jillian though I guess I shall research!

I do my own warm up and cool down with Jillian DVDs as I don't think they are long enough.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

So go on, hit me with some broscience. I'll consider anything except the sunshine diet!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    insanity! that'll get you some results!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,271 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be losing weight if your stats are accurate. The question is, are they? The thing to look at is your eating. My guess is that you are eating more than you think you are. It is so easy to slip up, especially with fats, hidden or otherwise. Do you log all oils etc? Are you having the odd snack that you don't log?
    I eat 1700 cals a day and I am losing slowly, which is fine by me as I enjoy my food. I am almost at goal now. Some people swear by weights, you could investigate that, tho you would need to get training and help at a gym. Seems to work wonders for most people, but I haven't gone down that route as I hate gyms. I do dumbbells at home and love them as my arms are much more defined now.
    Carry on with the 1500, but make sure that every single thing that goes into your mouth is logged. Every squirt of oil, scrape of butter etc. Good luck. You can do it. - it's not magic, just physics.
    By the way have you had a blood check up at the doctors - just to rule out thyroid etc. ?
  • pinktoesjb
    Options
    You should definitely be losing weight if your stats are accurate. The question is, are they? The thing to look at is your eating. My guess is that you are eating more than you think you are. It is so easy to slip up, especially with fats, hidden or otherwise. Do you log all oils etc? Are you having the odd snack that you don't log?
    I eat 1700 cals a day and I am losing slowly, which is fine by me as I enjoy my food. I am almost at goal now. Some people swear by weights, you could investigate that, tho you would need to get training and help at a gym. Seems to work wonders for most people, but I haven't gone down that route as I hate gyms. I do dumbbells at home and love them as my arms are much more defined now.
    Carry on with the 1500, but make sure that every single thing that goes into your mouth is logged. Every squirt of oil, scrape of butter etc. Good luck. You can do it. - it's not magic, just physics.
    By the way have you had a blood check up at the doctors - just to rule out thyroid etc. ?

I do log everything and measure all oil etc, the only things I guesstimate are the odd meals out and my salad portions for weekday lunches- i feel safe guessing my cucumber calories lol this is why I'm sort of stumped on not seeing the results I would like.
  • pinktoesjb
    Options
    Try taking a maintenance week or alternately, dropping the calories a little. Since you don't have a HRM and "tend to just get (your) head down and get on with a set of exercises that (you) know and get it over with," is it possible you've overestimating the calorie burn from your workouts? Even if not, definitely try to find something that you enjoy as intensity is the key to success in the gym.

MFP calorie burn is always higher than the gym machines so I think yes I should get in the habit of maybe only eating 75% of them back. May stop entirely on the walking calories, someone said before if you do it every day it doesn't count. Then someone else said oh you must eat back every exercise calorie lol.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

agreed, having a week eating more like 1700, then back down again, really did me good. Kinda told my body 'hey don't worry, there is plenty of food going around - lose that weight!'.

:)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Of course it counts if you do it every day, as long as you don't count it in your activity level AND then add it as exercise.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep?
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I did simlar it worked wonders! I ate crap and carried on lifting heavy for about a week! When went back to clean eatting with heavy liftting!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I sympathise. I think the problem with me is that because I have a low deficit everyday, it doesn't take many treat meals out to ruin it. I couldn't get into your diary but is EVERY day under you Calorie allowance
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I agree with taking a week off from dieting. Not exercise, though. And I totally disagree that walking is not exercise. If you're casually strolling whilst peering in windows, yeah, that's not a workout. But faced paced, varied inclines, determined walking is great exercise!

The week off may or may not work. When I lost my weight a few years ago, I never experienced a plateau & knew I was pretty lucky. But serious exercising was pretty much new to me. I gained 10 last year due to illness, and I could not shed those 10 no matter what I did! Finally, I gave up on the idea of working out for weight loss, and went back to what I did when I was in maintenance. I set fitness goals for myself not weight loss goals. I tried running this spring, and there it was. I finally shed that weight. Running was just enough of a change to mix things up (I still do strength training as well).
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    Why don't you try eating five meals a day - every three-four hours - and only eating protein and salad/veg. Palm-sized portion of protein and two palm-sized portions of salad/veg. Works for me and easy to do.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cut the carbs

Cut any fruit

No coffee sugar dairy

Loads of water

8 hours sleep a night

Get the weights out

If you do that and don;t lose the weight I eat my dumbbells
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    And keep you exercise HIGH INTENSITY for 45minutes, with small rest periods.