Body fat percentage

Options
Is there a safe level your body fat percentage should stay at? I mean so it can't be too low and become unhealthy or is there no such thing as having too little body fat? I only ask as someone has told me my body fat percentage is getting too low and I'm more likely to pick up colds, illnesses etc and it's not something I want to be doing with 2 children to look after. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    supposedly if you go below 5% your going to be dipping into the fat that lines your organs and this can be detrimental to your health.

I don't think its directly related to your immune system, although if your eating two few calories to be at that level of BF then that might compromise your immune system.

Most BF tests are way off anyway. You'd have to basically make it your job and or simply not eat to get to the point where your endangering your health because of too little body fat.

You'd probably get dizzy just standing up if you were at that point.
  • KelsThompski
    Options
    for a female the normal range is from 18.9%-26.9% in order to get below the 18.9% you would need to be eating very clean, working out and having no sugar. for most women its pretty hard to get lower than 18% at 18% your going to have muscle tone and not much is going to jiggle! :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    18% is about the low end of average women. Body builders and athletes will go down to 12% but they have massive amounts of muscle to compensate. You have to really work at it to get below 18%. I don't think a low body fat has any relation to getting more colds. That would be more to do with poor nutrition dragging your immune system down.
  • shawtiibabyy
    Options
    Thanks everyone helps a lot. Had me worried for a bit but still got 1% body fat I can lose lol love not having so many jiggly bits still got some areas to target though :)